Profile for nastyone > Reviews

Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
by Winifred Aldrich
Price: 26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is says, 22 July 2011
This is a nice simple book that delivers what it promises: patterns. You will find the basic blocks, and at least for me, all the classical patterns for women's wear.
As a downside, it lacks extended instructions, so in the case of some patterns I didn't know beforehand (ex. cowl skirt) I had to reread the text / relook at the image 4-5 times to figure it out.

Proposed Roads to Freedom: Socialism, Anarchism & Syndicalism
Proposed Roads to Freedom: Socialism, Anarchism & Syndicalism
by Bertrand Russell
Price: 3.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 22 July 2011
I think this is a very nice little book and I believe more people should read it.
I am not an anarcho-syndicalist ( which is in the end the best road to freedom according to Bertrand Russell) but I don't believe this book to be of the propagandistic kind that might have "unhealthy" results upon "society" (tongue-in-cheek here!); on the contrary I think it will induce people to think through their good intentions to the effects upon our freedom and the practicality of any millenarianistic political program.
Let's just say that I am not an anarcho-syndicalist because I found holes in my doctrine after BR taught me to look more thoroughly into it. :)

The Art of Manipulating Fabric
The Art of Manipulating Fabric
by Colette Wolff
Price: 13.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 22 July 2011
I'm sorry but this book just didn't do it for me.
About myself: I consider myself a beginner "seamstress". And all the information in the book I can divide into two categories: things I already know (the chapters on Gathering, Flounces and Godets), and things I'm not interested in (pretty much everything else).
Another problem I have with this book is that the examples are rather artificial, always at small scale, no indication about the way different techniques are used in dressmaking.
I give it three points because there are extensive chapters on kilting, stuffing, smocking and tucking which might be quite "the thing" for people interested in those subjects, of whom, unfortunately, I am not one.

The Nightwatchman's Occurrence Book and Other Comic Inventions
The Nightwatchman's Occurrence Book and Other Comic Inventions
by V. S. Naipaul

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Comic Inventions, 1 April 2011
I confess that I am not satisfied with this book although it contains one of my favourite short stories: The Nightwatchman's Occurrence Book. I had read the story before and considered it incredibly funny, crying of laughter kind of funny, so I bought the book for more of the same. I was in for a disappointment, the other stories are ok, very Naipaul ( at least the Naipaul I know from A bend in the River) but they are not "comic".
I have a great respect for Sir Naipaul but I am not a fan so I can't really recommend this book for the general public.
But if you appreciate V.S. Naipaul's writings, I think you will find this book an interesting addition to your collection.

The book contains:

PD James: The Adam Dalgliesh Chronicles [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Marsden
Price: 34.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 17 Sep 2010
As a fan of crime mysteries and British TV Drama, I was incredibly disappointed with The Adam Dalgliesh Chronicles. I have had the opportunity to watch some of the episodes on TV, but it was ages ago, and as a child I didn't see the prejudices that were paraded on the screen.
I find it old-fashioned, slightly on the right ( Shroud for a Nightingale gives one a very unpleasant feeling), and unfortunately I can't say more because it is a crime series, and I can easily spoil it for everybody else.

It doesn't seem to me a good policy to make reviews based on political opinions, but I have not found in the series any artistic value to cancel these ill feelings, let's just say that this is no Birth of a Nation.

So I feel it my duty to caution others: people of other races than Caucasian, even of other nationalities than British, and unmarried mothers might find some of the episodes offending. I know I did...

It has escaped the one star rating thanks to the exceptional performance of Roy Marsden .
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2013 4:53 AM GMT