Profile for John Bird > Reviews

John Bird (UK)

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV for the price!, 18 Oct. 2012
My old 1080P LG LCD TV decided to stop working, which left me needing a new TV...

After doing some research for a good TV at an affordable price, I decided that the Samsung UE40ES6710 3D LED TV was going to be my choice. The design of the TV is slick, with its beautiful white colouring and trendy stand making it stand out in your living room. This TV is a breeze to set up, and I doubt anyone would disagree here. I made sure that I connected the TV to my router via an Ethernet cable before I switched on the TV. Once I switched it on, I just literally pressed 'next' on the remote whilst it updated to the latest firmware etc via the Internet.

The SMART TV functions are very good too, with a few updates taking the popular apps (such as BBC Iplayer and ITV player) to their current versions. I also found apps such as Netflix to be great, and I've watched a few episodes of 'Lost' in high quality HD via Ethernet connection.

In my opinion, the picture quality is absolutely fantastic for the price of the TV. I watched a few minutes of standard and high definition TV programmes, and I was very happy with the quality. There are also plenty of picture settings to mess around with so that you can cater to your own needs. I've found the 'movie' mode setting with a 'standard' colour tone to be great for watching HD TV programmes, and the motion plus setting on 'clear' to keep the image nice and smooth during fast scenes. I've only had the TV since yesterday, so I've not really tried too many picture settings as of yet though. Furthermore, the 400hz refresh rate ensures that the picture quality looks crisp at all times!

I also like to play on my Xbox and Playstation 3, and I booted up a few games of FIFA 13 last night, plus Gears of War 3. I messed around with some of the settings, but I found that there were some latency issues whilst playing pacey shooting games such as Battlefield 3. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SET THE GAMING MODE TO 'ON'!!!!!! I would also advise that you take some time to play with the settings for yourself in the gaming department. I put the dynamic contrast to 'high' and the black levels to 'darkest' as I think this looks better for video games. After activating gaming mode, I've not found there to be any noticeable deterioration in the picture quality department (as warned when you set the game mode to 'on'), and there is ZERO LATENCY when playing fast and frantic shooting games that require fast reflexes/ reactions in the movement/ aiming departments.

Lastly, the 3D glasses and general 3D picture quality is absolutely awesome! I've watched a few things on some free SMART TV apps to test the 3D picture. I think the image is really great, and I haven't noticed a problem with the 3D quality in the slightest. I haven't even needed to change any 3D settings!

Overall, I'm very impressed with the standard, HD, gaming and 3D results of this 40 inch LED TV for under £700! I can't believe this TV is so cheap to be honest. It feels like I've been conned somehow as you expect to pay much more money for such a high quality TV. I'm so happy that I bought it. If you are reading this due to having your doubts then it is understandable. Buying a television is a huge investment, and it took me a few weeks to get my plastic out! Can I just say though, that you should stop reading and JUST BUY IT! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

P.S, don't bother getting the same 37 inch model that excludes 3D glasses. You will get a better deal if you buy the 40 inch with two pairs of 3D glasses. I don't think there is much difference in price, and it's a no-brainer when you get a marginally bigger TV with some 3D glasses included!

I hope I've been of help to some people on here that have considered buying this TV for as long as I did! Just click 'add to basket' and don't look back!

Regards,

John Bird.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 5:58 PM GMT

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is everyone moaning?, 4 July 2011
I am so so so furious by all of these pathetic reviews and reasons for them.

OK..

1) "OMG I have the movies on two disks instead of one blah blah blah". Can I just say that I purchased the original theatrical Blu Rays and they were pathetic. The quality was underwhelming. Why are people giving poor reviews for preventing the use of compression? THE QUALITY IS EXCEPTIONAL ON TWO DISKS DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT SQUASHED ONTO ONE LIKE THE ORIGINAL BLU RAY TRILOGY. LOSE SOME WEIGHT, STOP BEING LAZY AND JUST GROW UP.

2) "The fellowship of the Ring looks terrible and too green, and the dark bits are too dark". NO they are not too green, and it looks absolutely fantastic. Compare the quality of the extended edition version with the original (theatrical Blu Ray version) transfer, and the difference is unbelievable. DARK BITS BEING TOO DARK IN FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING?? IS YOUR TV GOT MESSED UP SETTINGS/ JUST RUBBISH IN GENERAL? WHAT A LOAD OF ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!

I can't remember any more right now. Can I just say that the transfers in the extended Blu Ray box are MUCH MUCH BETTER QUALITY than the theatrical edition. I own both, so you can trust my evaluation. Everyone should buy this set, it truly is EPIC EPIC EPIC!!!!!

Gears of War 2 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Gears of War 2 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 18 May 2010
Good game if you find a seller that includes the code to obtain the extra content. Beware, I purchased a 'brand new' game of the year edition from a third party seller and it was not new, and it included no code to obtain the extra content.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2010 1:42 PM GMT