Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Essobesso > Reviews

Content by Essobesso

Essobesso

Unmasked
Unmasked

5.0 out of 5 stars JOJ has done it again, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
I loved John s previous CD and this one is just as brilliant. A great variety of songs which fully showcase his incredible versatility and range. John s voice is so beautiful it defies description, but he doesnt just sing the songs, he becomes the character in each one. Thunderball is simply mindblowing..is he channeling Tom here? John s version is similar, but different enough to make it his own, and his new interpretation of Music of the Night is so utterly captivating that as I listen, I am immediately drawn into the Phantom s lair! He makes a pretty darned good Raoul too in All I Ask of You....I d be his Christine any day!!

Performs Andrew Lloyd
Performs Andrew Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Delight, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Performs Andrew Lloyd (Audio CD)
A lovely variety of songs which showcases Michael s wonderful voice. He can really power up when the song demands it, but its in the softer ballads where, for me, he really shines. His voice has such a gentle quality, and he sings with such tenderness that as I listen I feel like I m being wrapped up in a warm blanket. I enjoy this CD more and more every time I listen to it.

Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
by Ursula Moray Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A story for all ages, 28 April 2012
I live in Australia and borrowed this book many times from the local library as a child, but couldnt get a copy for myself. I loved the story then, and I love it now, some 50 years later. It is a wonderful story, beautifully written and has stood the test of time. Its full of fun and adventure, and the little horse is so endearing you cant help but fall in love with him. If there were more people like him the world would be a better place. I cant think of a better story for parents to read to their children.

Alfie
Alfie
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Alfie (Audio CD)
Alfie has a beautiful voice and unlike many opera singers, can sing other types of music without sounding too "operatic". A lovely variety of songs, most of which I really enjoyed. I m not so keen on Music of the Night which sounds a bit rushed and doesnt have the emotional intensity which this song deserves, however, he has made up for it with Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. This is an absolute standout and worth buying the CD just for this song. He and Michael Ball sound so wonderful together, their voices were made for each other and their harmony and feeling for this song just knocked my socks off!

Les Misérables Live! Dream the Dream 2010 Cast Album (25th Anniversary)
Les Misérables Live! Dream the Dream 2010 Cast Album (25th Anniversary)

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Hit and Miss for me, 1 Dec. 2010
I ve seen many Les Miz s but not this production so my review is based solely on what I m hearing
The Bouquets...I bought it mainly for JOJ and he does not disappoint. John s magnificent voice is filled with power, passion and incredible sensitivity and although I cant see him, he brings JVJ right into my living room. Javert is really good too, and their voices blend beautifully in their duets. I m also impressed with Gareth Gates, whom I saw as a teenager on Idol. He s no Michael Ball, but his voice has a lovely quality at times, and he has a good feel for the character. The new orchestrations sound good, but arent much different from the old ones to my ears.
The Brickbats...At times it rushes along like an express train and there is a lot of yelling. If English isnt your first language, then good luck understanding some of the group singing. Fantine is just awful!! She murders I Dreamed a Dream, belting it out in a harsh and toneless voice. Her dying scene is better and her voice does have some good quality in the softer and more gentle places but there are few of them. She mostly yells her way through her role. What are the latest directors thinking in making Fantine so angry! Its only my opinion as an audience member and longtime L.Miz fan, but I see her as a young woman thoroughly cowed and beaten down by her unfortunate circumstances. Deborah Byrne in the original Sydney production got it right...she looked and sounded fragile and despairing. You could literally feel her pain.
Overall, I still enjoyed it though and in spite of the bits I didnt like, its worth buying for John Owen-Jones alone, but for anyone who doesnt know the show too well, the original London cast recording would be my recommendation.

John Owen-Jones
John Owen-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Ripper mate!, 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: John Owen-Jones (Audio CD)
I m an Aussie so I dont get to the Westend very often, but I saw JOJ as the Phantom and I was utterly captivated by his powerful performance and magnificent voice. I am delighted with this CD too, a lovely variety of songs, some old favourites and some I ve never heard before, but in every one, John, with his beautiful voice, becomes the character in each song..he IS the phantom at his most beguiling, a man joyously in love, a doting father with his young son, etc etc and the icing on the cake for me..John Valjean pleading with God to protect the young Marius. This incredibly talented man could record his shopping list and I would buy the CD
I m also very impressed with Amazons very reasonable pricing and speedy delivery, all the way to Australia in just over a week!!