ARRAY(0xae41fe34)

Profile for Mr. Paul J. Reece > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul J. Reece

Mr. Paul J. Reece (Birmingham, W'Mids United Kingdom)

Our Version of Events [Special Edition: Bonus Tracks]
Our Version of Events [Special Edition: Bonus Tracks]
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry folks, not a review but a heartfelt rant!, 22 Nov 2012
This is a great album of well written and beautifully performed music by a genuine artist . . . BUT ..

I'm always disappointed when greedy record labels re-release an album with additional bonus tracks (usually just before the festive season). My main gripe here is the fact that fans will have already bought the CD when it was initially released - making it the popular hit they rave about. It's those very same fans who are left with the expensive and wasteful option of possibly re-purchasing the whole CD just to get a few bonus tracks by an artist they've already supported. What exactly are we supposed to do with the original release?

Honestly - does this cause anything but irritation and resentment?

It is a greedy and unfair strategy - record companies, please stop it!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 4:19 AM GMT

I Remember Me
I Remember Me
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Untapped Potential, 21 May 2011
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
Had to comment on the long awaited follow up to Jennifer Hudson's amazing debut album. I Remember Me sees a slightly different side to Jennifer's vocal personality and shows real promise but doesn't seem to quite reach the potential we know is yet untapped in her amazing vocal range and strength. Where You At is a great track and the `Spotlight' of this CD, and the track Believe fits her voice perfectly and is simply beautiful.

Few minor complaints - I realise that Americans love their anthem but do we really need to have the Star Spangled Banner as a track on music CD? - it's utterly meaningless to anyone outside of the American market. I'd have rather they left it out or replaced it with another song from the range she has recorded for different sound tracks and such. Another space waster is having the song Spotlight on this CD . . . fans will already own it? Curious decision? - would have even made more sense if it were a re-mix of some description.

For me the low points of this collection are the track Gone, which sounds like a Jordin Sparks or Kelly Clarkson offering (not good enough for Jennifer Hudson) and the title track I Remember Me, which contains quite poorly written lyrics. The highlights are definitely Believe, I Got This, Angel, Why Is It So Hard and Where You At.

I feel there was a missed opportunity with the Leona Lewis duet too - two great voices could have made something so much more memorable than the insipid offering on this CD - surely someone involved in the process should have realised this. Think back to Jennifer's last CD and her duet with Fantasia OR even the Whitney Houston/Mariah Carey - When You Believe or Donna Summer and Barbara Streisand - Enough Is Enough (No More Tears) - It's more than possible!

Overall a good CD but not a great CD - I know Jennifer Hudson has much more to offer and, in the right hands, will eventually drop a flawless, killer CD!

Coming Back to You
Coming Back to You
Price: 7.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Perplexed from Birmingham England, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: Coming Back to You (Audio CD)
I also watched American Idol and saw a number of extraordinary performances by this very talented lady. She had a style and delivery worthy of a winner but I suppose not everyone can fit the `Idol ideal'.

I'm sure this long awaited release will prove excellent BUT I really can't understand how people can give it 5 stars when they haven't heard a single note yet?? This de-values the purpose of the comments section on this website (which has previously proves useful in helping me commit to trying out new artists). I realise that the system here insists that you input a star rating but why not start with a middle range rating until you have the chance to hear the release.

Please remember that "The proof of the pudding is in the eating ".

Having said all of the above, I've pre-ordered this CD and will return to comment properly once I've listened to it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2009 5:57 PM GMT

Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they tame this LION of a singer!?, 28 Mar 2007
This review is from: Picture Of You (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on Amazon as soon as it was released as I'd been a fan of Ben on X Factor and followed his progress throughout the show. The thing I found most appealing was the gravelly raw of his voice which he was able to control expertly, often tempering it with the softer, more melodic side of his range.- excellent!

The performance I though was genuinely AMAZING was his interpretation of Queen's Somebody To Love complete with clever re-arrangement and gospel choir - It alone would have been worth the price of the CD.

Here's the down side - It would seem that his musical creative team has `tamed' his voice and packaged him up to near `easy listening'. He's a lion of a singer and shouldn't be shaped into anything less - It's what his supporters would have found appealing in the first place.

The CD is just about OK when it could have been so much more - missed opportunity I'm afraid. On a personal note, I'm disappointed by the version of Somebody To Love on this CD, especially as I've heard what Ben can really do.

Ps

Little note on Jessica Stone's comments below - it's refreshing to have talented singers about who aren't Boy Band clones and who haven't been polished, air brushed and manufactured out of reality. Ben is a singer, not an ornament - let's try to applaud real, raw talent in all its shapes and sizes!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2008 12:18 AM GMT

SO AMAZING
SO AMAZING

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be amazed - she's always this amazing!!, 16 Oct 2005
This review is from: SO AMAZING (Audio CD)
Ruby Turner is an often over looked talent. She has released a steady stream of great albums over the years - each one will have at least 4 'blow you away' tracks with the rest being simply excellent.
I've seen her live many times back in the good old days of Ronnie Scotts where she was a regular headline act and more recently at other venues and she has the very rare ability to genuinely move you with her powerful, emotionally charged and destinctive voice.
On this new release, which she almost totally co-wrote, I challenge you not to love the remarkable 'Ain't cried in a long time' and the beautiful 'World upside down'
If you like genuinely great female vocalists who put music before superficial showmanship then I can't recommend Ruby Turner enough.
Welcome back Miss Turner - you're So Amazing!