Profile for D. G. Clarke > Reviews

Content by D. G. Clarke

D. G. Clarke "Ed Clarke" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Science Data
Science Data
by R M Tennent

5.0 out of 5 stars Physics teacher for over 40 years!, 17 Oct 2007
This review is from: Science Data (Paperback)
This little book has been a constant companion for the last twenty five years, replacing, for me, the more cumbersome Kaye and Laby which was the "Bible" when I was learning Physics. I knew Dr Tennent personally and he was one of my lecturers at Leeds University, and my honest opinion is that he condensed the essential information every student of Physics needs into a manageable and readable form. Dr Tennent is no longer with us but it is essential that someone updates this indispensable source of facts in the near future, whilst retaining its beautifilly compact form.

Canis Canem Edit (PS2)
Canis Canem Edit (PS2)
Offered by multimedia-online
Price: 19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 25 May 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Canis Canem Edit is perfect if you find GTA games a bit too hard in certain spots, but want a challenge as well. I fall into this category. There are a number of missions in GTA which I just found too hard, and this Rockstar game has really hit the spot. It is not too easy, although the opening chapter or two is quite straight-forward. As you move on through the game, you start to notice the difficulty level raising, but at a steady rate to help you get to grips with all the games features.

The game follows a 15 year old, who has been expelled from all previous schools he's been to, so he ends up at Bullworth Academy, which Rockstar calls "the toughest school around". You take control of this 15 year old, Jimmy. It feels a lot like San Andreas the way the camera is positioned looking at the back of the character when you playing the game, but don't think this is just a cheap copy that Rockstar have brought out.

One of the most impressive features about this game is the individuality of your schoolmates. Every person in the school is different, they all have their own individual names, which is proven by the fact that you obtain a yearbook, where you take photos of everybody in your year. Here you notice how everyone has their own personality - not the generic passers by you find on San Andreas.

One example of a group in the school is the Nerds. Fairly obvious what type of people they are, and these are probably the funniest. They always bring a chuckle when I see the fat nerds walking with their flies undone, and the voice acting for them is particularly impressive.

The storyline is well explained and relatively easy to follow, and believable too. It can get a bit cheesy in places, for example cringeworthy moments include Jimmy celebrating having beaten someone up in a boxing ring "Who's the daddy? Jimmy Hopkins, that's who, I am the best, now I'll beat the rest". There's a couple of cliched lines like that, but otherwise the script writing is very good.

Perhaps one of the most annoying things about this game is the lessons. They are fun at first, but then you start getting annoyed. Every time you want to do something, the bell rings and you have to get to lesson otherwise you are seeing as truanting, so the prefects are onto you. There are two lessons a day at first, ending at 3:30pm and very little time to do much exploring, as you can't be in the school building after 7pm (the time is measured in game minutes = real time seconds) and there is a curfew where you must be in the dorm by 11pm. If you don't go to bed by 2am, you will pass out on the floor. This can be particularly frustrating when you want to go and explore the game. However, each lesson has 5 stages. If you pass all 5 stages of a lesson, you no longer need to go to that lesson. Finish them all, and you've got no lessons ever again, so you've got all day to explore and do missions. I recommend you finish the lessons before getting too impatient with the game.

The world is fairly expansive. Nowhere near the size of San Andreas, but then the game isn't really focused on travelling the world, it is more mission based within the school gates. There aren't nearly as many vehicles as a result, but I found this was good, because as a schoolboy, you are more likely to be riding BMXs and skateboards than driving in 18 wheelers. There are various shops to go into in the town, where you can buy eggs for throwing at people, clothes (for wearing!) and many more.

A surprising feature of the game is the angle Rockstar took. Most of the time, you are defending the bullied, rather than bullying the defenseless. Sure, you can do this, and it is fun, but the storyline is based on helping those in need. There is no blood in the game, just heavy fists fights, crotch-kicking and wedgies. This, I think, makes the game better, it is more realistic for a schoolground. Weapons are school-based; you have all the classics, like the slingshot, the stink bomb and the fire cracker amongst many others.

To sum up, I would say that if you are looking for a game that is fun, not too difficult but challenging in places, involves quite a fair amount of violence and doing school-based tasks for realistic amounts of money - then this is the game for you. Particularly enjoyable if you are feeling a bit nostalgic about the days in the old school yard.

The Simpsons: Hit & Run Platinum (PS2)
The Simpsons: Hit & Run Platinum (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars From a Simpsons fanatic...excellent game, 21 May 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but I know pretty much everything about the Simpsons. I've probably seen every episode there is to see. And I tell you what - the producers of this game have done a heck of a lot of research.

Every single episode you can think of, there is some relation to it in the game. Whether it be the solid gold house, the broken down monorail, Herman's Military Antique Shop...it's all there. This makes the game incredible in itself. As a hardcore Simpsons fan, I found most enjoyable about this game exploring each level, admiring the sheer detail of Springfield. The levels are designed so intelligently.

Often when I watched the Simpsons, sad as it may be, I imagined how fantastic it would be to live there. To drive the streets, explore the town and to meet the hundreds of different people. Well, when I got this game, it wasn't a matter of imagination - it was reality. First hand experience of wonderful Springfield.

Onto the missions. These let the game down, unfortunately. They are SO REPETITIVE! There is literally about 5 different types of mission, and there are 50 main missions on the game. And the missions are rarely explained well. For example, most of the time (particularly towards the later levels), there is a time limit for each level. Why? Don't ask me - they don't tell you. They just shove on a time limit for the hell of it. And it always involves chasing some other car, or collecting something falling out of the back of a car. It gets so tedious. Furthermore, the difficulty level is pretty awful. Considering young(ish) kids will be playing this game, it is a disgrace how hard some of the missions are. They require near, if not total, perfection. One mistake, and you may as well end the mission. What makes it worse is that on every mission, cars on the road randomly drive into you, so you run out of time, or lose the vehicle you are chasing. There is no explanation of this either. And it happens ALL THE TIME! Equally as bad is the fact that some missions are really long, and contain many different sub-tasks. If you fail one sub-task, the whole mission is over, so you have to go back to the start. So that wastes 10 minutes of your time, then you fail again and have to start over. So prepare to break a few controllers - because this is the most frustrating game I have ever played.

However, the best thing about missions on this game is the ability to SKIP. I am surprised GTA haven't come up with this option yet. If you are struggling with a mission (i.e. fail it 5 times), you get the option to skip the mission the next time you fail it. So you can move on with the story. So much better than GTA, where if you can't do a mission, you can't progress. What a great feature the SKIP option is.

Another great thing about this game is the character voice acting. All the originals are there, and there are loads of different characters all over Springfield. Think of one? They're in the game, no doubt.

One of the most impressive things with the game is the interactivity. There are loads of objects that you can use the action button with, which provokes some sort of response from that item. It is very detailed in this aspect.

The cars - well they're alright. Very generic, some of them, but there are some really good inclusions too, from a variety of episodes. Like the Homer Car (the one he builds in the episode with his brother). That has got a terrific hooter, which made me laugh a lot the first time I heard it. The way the characters walk is funny too. Homer walking in an unlockable muumuu outfit - priceless comedy. The character likeness to the original show is second to none.

So to summarise, The Simpsons Hit and Run is the perfect video-game for diehard Simpsons fans. It may be insanely frustrating, but the detail, interactivity and hilarity of this game makes the player feel as if they are experiencing Springfield first hand - an experience I for one have pined for for a very long time.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful stuff - and good service, 15 May 2007
I received the item from the third party seller in really good time - much quicker than I expected. It was packaged well and overall I am delighted with how smoothly the transaction has gone.

Onto the item - it does what it says. It refills Zippo lighters. And it's easy too, no faffing around, just shove the cap into the valve and squeeze the can gently. My lighter works fine, and I think for the price I got it for, this item and service is really good value.

TRUST MI-1250 USB MOUSE
TRUST MI-1250 USB MOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 12 April 2007
This is a lovely little thing. This mouse is a real bargain. It's got what you want, nothing too complex, just a simple mouse that does what it needs to do. It is smooth, has a nice scrolling wheel and it looks good.

Remember this is a USB mouse, so what do you do if you don't have a USB port for a mouse? Well you can still get this item. I bought a nice little adapter for this mouse, because my computer has the circular port at the back, rather than a USB one. There are plenty of mouse adapters around, I picked mine up for a couple of quid online and it's perfect. Basically, whatever mouse port you have on your computer, this item is worth buying, because you won't find a better bargain out there.

So if you're looking for a simple, cheap mouse that does exactly what a mouse should do, then buy this.

Apple iPod nano - 8GB - Black
Apple iPod nano - 8GB - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 26 Dec 2006
The New iPod nano 8GB is a great product. Having owned a 512mb mp3 player until Christmas, this seems like a world away from that. The colour

screen, the extremely elegant, user friendly navigation system and the general "upper class" feel of the iPod makes this a fantastic gadget. A

couple of things to note though before buying:

1. Although it says 8GB, only about 7.45GB of this is storage space, so bear that in mind.

2. It doesn't come with a mains charger - a bit of a pain I know but you can pick up a charger from Amazon third party sellers for as little as a penny a piece - I did and it's perfect.

3. You need iTunes 7.0 or higher - this is not a problem though if you don't have it, just go to the Apple site and download it for free. If you have an earlier edition of iTunes, just do the same and it will update it, keeping all your Library and stuff intact.

4. The instruction manual isn't great, if possible have someone around who has an iPod themselves to help explain it to you. But in honesty you could quite easily figure everything out as you go along without making any mistakes.

The great things about this iPod are:

A 24 hour battery that can be recharged easily. Even when you are putting new songs onto it from your computer, it charges itself. Plus a separate mains charger is easy to use if you buy one.

There are loads of personalised settings you can apply which are very straight forward.

The music organisation is terrific, whatever you want to hear you can choose in a few moments of turning it on.

The sound quality is excellent; as well as EQ settings which enable you to change the sound settings for different types of song, e.g. Rock, Pop

songs.

iTunes is very easy to use once you get the hang of it, and it easily sorts your tracks out automatically without the need for you to type anything in. Putting songs on your iPod is a simple "drag and drop" exercise that even a computer novice can handle.

The iPod is aesthetically pleasing, a sleek, slim black that slides into your pocket comfortably. The material is smooth to the touch and, as

mentioned before, it just feels like a really sophisticated gadget.

If you are looking for a reliable, user friendly and large storage capacity portable music player, look no further than the 8GB New iPod nano.

Black iPod Nano - 3 Pin Mains Charger
Black iPod Nano - 3 Pin Mains Charger
Offered by TechShoper
Price: 3.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent seller, excellent item, 21 Dec 2006
Wow. For a penny, I honestly expected poor service. How I was proved wrong! This item arrived a day after it was dispatched, despite it being during the busy Christmas period. This seller is completely honest and is a credit to Amazon third party sellers. This is my first order from a third party seller on Amazon, and I am not disappointed.

The product is exactly as described and will come in very useful for my New iPod 8gb Nano which I will be receiving from Amazon tomorrow. When I read that a mains charger didn't come with it, my heart sunk. But I looked around, and found this little beauty for just a penny (plus P&P). I expected it to arrive a few days after Christmas, but I am delighted to say it has beaten Amazon's delivery speed hands down. I have tried it on my sister's iPod, it works fine, and I couldn't be happier. What a great Christmas present for me. Thank you very much.

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PS2)

2.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, 31 Oct 2006
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I had looked forward to this game for months. Having bought Pro Evo 5 as my first Pro Evo game, I had very high expectations of this new installment in the series. So naturally I pre-ordered the game a month before its rumoured release date, spending the weeks beforehand getting the best out of Pro 5 and building up my excitement at the thought of playing the new Pro Evo.

It came through a day after its release date. Great, I thought. This is it. Having changed the unofficial names of the teams and some of the player names, which took around a half hour, I went into my first match. This was on the Regular setting (i.e. normal difficulty). I won easily, and generally enjoyed it. I notched up the difficulty after maybe two games. This was when I started having doubts. This was very different on Professional difficulty. Suddenly my team couldn't pass accurately, they couldn't keep possession for more than 30 seconds and the shooting had lost accuracy. I also found my defence parting through the middle for seemingly no reason, and several times the opposition would be clean through on goal. Don't get me wrong I had chances, but every time I was clean through, Thierry Henry would suddenly do a tame chip shot rather than the stroke round the keeper I intended. Initally I thought this was nothing wrong. I kept at it though, but every game real chances would go to waste because either Henry was slow as a snail or all my players would fluff their shots when clean through on goal. Coupled with the strange parting of the defence, this made for very unenjoyable playing. I have now given up on this game. Not because I'm not good enough - I'm getting loads of chances - but because an unknown force (possibly the COM) is preventing me from finishing like I did in Pro 5.

But enough of the disadvantages. I want to write a fair, unbiased review. The game has massively improved the fouls and when a defender catches your ankle and the ref gives a foul even though there is a real goalscoring opportunity. It has become much more realistic in this aspect. They have also eliminated the rule of having to watch your opponents substitutions - now the names come up on the screen and you can get on with the game. But I'm afraid to say that the disadvantages just make this game unenjoyable, and as a result, unplayable.

I feel I am writing in a way that would suggest I am not good enough at this game. I don't believe that is the case. And even if it was the case, the difference between Regular and Professional difficulty is almost as big as the gaps appearing in my world class defence.

This game is a real disappointment. I feel cheated by Konami. I have payed [...] for a brand new game and they have given me a poorer version of Pro Evo 5. The commentary sounds like it has been recorded through a megaphone,the shooting is ruined, suddenly you can't finish like in real life, in an effort to increase the difficulty they have made your players less accurate at passing, and the centre backs on my team seem to have given up to do something else. They're not the only ones - this game is going straight in the bin.

2kw Upright fan heater
2kw Upright fan heater

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those cold winter mornings, 31 Mar 2006
I love this item. Yes it's only a heater but it is so useful!
Everyone knows what the typical winter morning is like. You go into the bathroom, take a shower then when you're out its freezing cold. You are shivering so much you can hardly move. But those days are gone now, because this item is available to anyone of any income! Turn it on before you step in the shower, then by the time you've stepped out, the room is warm! Turn off the fan and enjoy the warmth or keep it on and warm your feet! It's up to you!
The fan also has a 'cool' setting for those sweaty summer afternoons, or a 'semi-warm' setting for when you have a few goosebumps on your arms. It's fantastic and something to look forward to when you drag yourself out of bed for school or work in the morning. Great product!

AIGO UM-A203 512MB MP3 Player - Black
AIGO UM-A203 512MB MP3 Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, value for money, 31 Mar 2006
First of all, the guy who wrote a review named 'Dodgy' said that the player cuts out when the headphone connector is moved. No, this isn't true. I thought I had the same problem, till I found that if you push the headphone plug into the jack a bit harder it clicks in firmly.
Anyway onto the actual product. The instruction manual knocks it down from 5 stars to 4 because of the one fact that it only applies to Windows XP on the default settings; if you've changed any settings then some parts of the instructions don't work. My brother told me not to use the recommended Windows Media Player to transfer CD files to the player, because it is incredibly slow. It takes 20 minutes to transfer a 3 minute track on that. So he told me to use AudioGrabber, which can be downloaded off the web. Anyway this is much quicker, and easier to use as a whole. It names the tracks for you as they should be, rather than you having to type in all the track names etc.

The player is of excellent sound quality, considering its cheap price tag. It's smart and user-friendly and discreet; all you need in an Mp3 player. It holds up to 120 tracks apparently, but mine currently holds 180 so maybe this is just for huge 5MB songs. Most of my songs are around 2MB each, so with a 512MB mp3 player that calculates to 250 tracks. Not bad for 32.99.

I'm delighted with my purchase and if you are looking for a cheap, reliable, quality Mp3 player, look no further.

Page: 1 | 2