Profile for R. J. Dean > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Nocturnes
Nocturnes

5.0 out of 5 stars What pop and disco should be, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nocturnes (Audio CD)
I 'discovered' this album long haul from Buenos Aries - over half a day in the air and in need of something to engage the brain while I failed to sleep in cattle class. That was five days ago and I'm still waking up somewhere on a darkened Motorway heading north. While the basic ideas are elegantly light and poppy, there is plenty of nuance and variation in all of these tracks. It kept my aging ears happy picking out the details while I listened to it five times through the night somewhere over the mid-Atlantic. It's a joy to hear it now without the twin drone of jet engines vibrating through ear phones. I did try Hands briefly having heard this album but have to say that for me Nocturnes wins hands down. It is a superb collection of tracks with only one or two weaker ones where the whole set hangs together beautifully (and only the second full album I've elected to buy in ten years).

Zalman 80mm Silent Case Fan.
Zalman 80mm Silent Case Fan.
Offered by Specialtech

5.0 out of 5 stars Zalman quality as usual, 5 Mar 2012
Near silent running and a well made fan as expected from Zalman. For reference, I'm driving this off a 9V PP3 battery for a home-build solder fume extractor. Works a treat and ran for nearly a couple of hours on a 200mAH rechargable that I just fished out of a drawer.

5 x AC 250V 3A 2 Pin ON/OFF I/O SPST Snap in Mini Boat Rocker Switch
5 x AC 250V 3A 2 Pin ON/OFF I/O SPST Snap in Mini Boat Rocker Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 5 Mar 2012
Perfectly serviceable switches, nice and cheap. Body will grip a slot if pushed in. Pretty much as expected. Not tried them out for any length of time but they feel firm enough to last.

Tumble Dryer Vent Hose - 4 inch wide x 3 metres
Tumble Dryer Vent Hose - 4 inch wide x 3 metres

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely robust for a cheap hose, 5 Mar 2012
Wire wound spiral support on a plasticized material - better than I expected for this price. Arrived promptly so full marks all round.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price, 27 Jan 2012
Just finished working through some HP Premium paper and bought this to stock up again. This paper is thicker at 260gsm but very much cheaper to buy (that's a good thing). It does have a slightly less luxurious feel on the back but that probably helps my printer. I suspect it isn't quite as resilient to bends/folds as a result, and the gloss is possibly level down from the HP paper. However while I was expecting a compromise on the print quality, quite honestly I can't tell the difference. I have an old Deskjet 916c, I use cheap replacement cartridges and a value ink from a supermarket for refill. Officially the paper weight is over the limit for the printer (HP say 200gsm max) but it feeds through nicely. The print reproduction quality on this paper is as good as I can get it on my printer - perhaps it would vary on a more modern printer with better resolution and print technology.

Drops a star just on the physical feel of the paper and slightly lower gloss (for some the lower gloss may be a bonus), but given I bought 4 times as many sheets for half the price of the more expensive options and it is doing the job I need on my printer, I'd definitely recommend it as a great budget photo paper.

Silverline 633609 Metal Solder Sucker 185mm
Silverline 633609 Metal Solder Sucker 185mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheap, 27 Jan 2012
Cheap as chips, to quote the orange man. I wouldn't undo the end to empty it too often as the plastic thread is so fine it gets crossed on the metal case very easily. However, at this price I'd expect a few shortcuts. Strong spring, sucks hard, the metal barrel is probably better than anticipated. Four stars on the price and utility - if you need something more robust, possibly not a good choice. I bought two for a third the price of an alternative.

SanDisk SDCZ33-016G-B35 16 GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ33-016G-B35 16 GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive, 25 Jan 2012
Bought this for the car stereo. It fits into the USB slot on the removable front fascia but is so low profile it protrudes less than the volume knob. 16Gb is possibly too much for music in a car and to be honest I'd have preferred an 8Gb version instead. However, it's quick enough to transfer music on to (slower than others though so don't buy it for speed) and works fine in the radio (Kenwood). I picked up a second for permanent attachment to my laptop. Be aware that it really is tiny - once it is in the USB if there isn't much space around it, then pulling it out again is tricky. There is a small loop that you can attach a lanyard to if you want to cart it around. Also - it is tiny (thumbnail size) so don't leave it lying around.

Hallelujah
Hallelujah

4.0 out of 5 stars Accidental discovery but great version, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hallelujah (MP3 Download)
Ran across Kate's rendition of this elsewhere. The song and particularly the lyrics are something else (Mr Cohen is a great wordsmith even if singing isn't his strong suit!) but Kate's version has just a touch more feeling and edge than the slightly more twee (my opinion!) version from Rufus Wainwright and less 'manufactured' (also my opinion!) version from Alexandra Burke. Both those others are great performances in their own right, but from personal taste I'd favour this one over them.

TeckNet® NEW Kindle 4 Premium Folio Case / Cover With Magnetic Clasp for NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation / Book Style - Includes Kindle Rear Protector - Brown
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best of the budget Kindle cases, 25 Jan 2012
I spent a while (probably too long) working through the multiple options for a Kindle cover in the 'budget' range. I really didn't want to spend too much on a full leather cover but I also didn't want to carry around something that looked like I didn't want to spend too much! This case does the job nicely as far as I'm concerned. It's PU leather so not real leather nor does it have that same feel but it is smart looking and has survived a month's worth of occasional use without showing any signs of wear. It won't last as long as real leather but judging by it so far, it will last plenty long enough. The stitching is neat and solid - much better than some alternatives. The clasp is firm and opens/closes easily (magnetic type). The format of the cover doesn't block any buttons on either side or the base and leaves the charging socket accessible as well. I tend to read with the front cover folded back underneath, right thumb to advance the pages - the left hand buttons are just as available though obviously the spine of the case is on that side.

There are a lot of comments that the navigation buttons aren't accessible. I presume those people either have the Kindle in upside down, or they have the wrong Kindle model. There is definitely nothing even close to obstructing any of the buttons. As for the black marks on the back - I bought it to protect the front screen primarily but since I've used the protector provided with the case it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Overall, this has proven to be a good choice. I suspect the spine will show wear over time first, but it's robust enough that I've no real concerns about it lasting, and it looks really quite smart. No complaints at all, definitely recommended and in the price range, definitely at the top end.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Money can't buy love but a small amount can buy some superb music, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Greatest Hits (MP3 Download)
From an album collection of mostly 80s/90s plus assorted odds and ends, this album has the rare distinction of one I still play in its entirety, unchanged by the pick-and-mix options of portable and digital. Get the volume cranked up before the intro to I Don't Want A Lover and the rest follows easily. As a collection it hits many of my musical buttons with some variety such as across Inner Smile, Everyday Now and Put Your Arms Around Me. Personally I'd swap Insane for Saint off the Hush album, but regardless of Texas hovering in the shadows of musical limelight to some extent, this is a most impressive collection. It's an excellent sample of the group's music, and while it won't suit everyone's taste, if there are a couple of these songs that leap out, you won't go wrong with the rest.

Page: 1 | 2