Profile for jt > Reviews

Content by jt

jt

Hermit Of Mink Hollow/Healing/The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect (3 Albums On 2 CDs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value package, 11 Jan 2013
I wasn't expecting a huge amount here. As a fan of AWATS in particular, I was expecting to hear a man who'd lost his muse plodding away at some late 70s soft rock. And, I suppose, what you get could best be described as that - but there is more than enough of Todd's idiosyncratic style to really reward a purchase, alongside the fact that the albums in this package contain some great songs. I have a particular soft spot for Influenza on TEPTAE, which I really did not expect to be any good at all! If you're a fan of Something/Anything, then I would strongly recommend this package as it is the more commercial songwriting that you get here in the whole. Good value too!

Buried Treasure
Buried Treasure

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Crazy Horse, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Buried Treasure (Audio CD)
I would normally never dream of writing a review for an album for Amazon but this record is too good to languish in obscurity. It is derivative; Crazy Horse are an obvious touch point, but Bob Mould and maybe Evan Dando would be equally strong comparisons. However, this kind of raw rock n' roll doesn't have to be original to work and this really does work. Guitars crunch, drums crack and the songs are good enough to not need any embellishment. I felt I needed to spread the word a bit - otherwise Buried Treasures would end up being exactly that. Great record, don't ignore it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 8:48 PM GMT