Profile for SeaWasp > Reviews

Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band - Live [DVD]
Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band - Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ringo Starr

5.0 out of 5 stars SUBLIME...!!, 16 Nov. 2012
I honestly have no idea what the 1-star reviewer here is talking about. This isn't a "Greatest Hits" dvd at all. This is the first of Ringo's "All-Starr" reviews and it really rocks. If you have the cd already then get this dvd as well. It has almost twice as many songs on it for a start and it's great to see the guys clown around on stage as they perform.

Two songs from the cd (Ringo's "You're Sixteen" and Rick Danko's "Raining In My Heart") are not included on this dvd but many more are. The cd allowed a couple of tunes for Ringo and only one song for each of the other guys. Here on the dvd the guys get to do two or three apiece. Here's what you get:

1. It Don't Come Easy
17. Quarter To Three - Clarence Clemmons
18. Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
19. Photograph
20. With A Little Help From My Friends - Ringo

All great tunes.. all very well played and sung despite a slightly shakey start by the large-nosed one. This is a fun time.. guaranteed!!

The sound is in stereo and the 4:3 picture is excellent. Recorded on videotape but before the days of digital. This belongs up on your dvd shelf next to Frank Zappa's "Does Humor Belong In Music", "Carl Perkins & Friends", Ian Dury & The Blockheads' "Hold On To Your Structure" and "The A.R.M.S. Concert". Get it before it disappears.

Wonderful stuff. A shot in the arm for a musically jaded, grumpy old git like yours truly.

Cheers..

Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray)
Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Jacques Tati

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Blu-Ray..!, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Mon Oncle (DVD and Blu-ray) (DVD)
I was just doing a little comparison test here and sure, the BFI dvd picture looks great... but the Blu-Ray is heaps sharper and the colours are brighter and more vivid. This really brings the movie alive. The difference between the warm glow of Mr Hulot's old-fashioned neighbourhood and the bluey-white sterility of his brother-in-law's ultra-modern house is more obvious than ever.(A favorite scene of mine is where the little boy's mother prepares his boiled egg as if it were a dental procedure.)

Perhaps you are wondering if upgrading your old copy is worth the cost. I would answer in the affirmative. Not only is the picture better but we also get the English version of Tati's masterpiece ("My Uncle") plus the correct 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

A minor quibble on my part. I find that I cannot select subtitles from the Set-Up Menu on neither my Sony nor my LG player. I can manage to get subs via my remote control on the LG but still nothing on the Sony. This might just be a quirk with my particular players but... yeah, I'd thought I'd better warn you on that one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 9:39 PM GMT

The Uninvited [1944] [DVD]
The Uninvited [1944] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Milland

5.0 out of 5 stars A word about dvd picture quality, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Uninvited [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
With all this hype about high bit rate and a Hi-Def transfer, I must admit that I was expecting better things. On a standard TV I'm sure this dvd looks fine but guys wih HD TVs over 40" screen size will beg for Blu-Ray. This is not to say that it is a terrible transfer... it isn't.. but for the grand packaging, complete with a really nice 24-pge booklet and 2 radio shows, I was hoping for better picture quality. I know it's possible because I have seen standard dvds that compete with Blu-Ray.. I just don't know what went wrong here. To my eyes this release looks like a 16mm print that has undergone a digital beef-up thus embellishing the shortcomings of the source material. Overall it looks okay but the crucial dark scenes are grainy and have a kind of white fleck in the blacks.. still, I'm glad to own it.

This dvd is released by ExposureCinema under licence from Universal so I'm reasoning that they used whatever source material they could get hold of locally instead of original elements. I was watching a few Universal Dvd releases of movies the same vinatge as 'The Uninvited' and the quality is much better.. 'better' in the 16mm vs. 35 mm sense.

The film itself is.. well.. sublime! This and "The Ghost & Mrs Muir" would make a great 1940s double feature.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2012 2:37 PM GMT

Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow torture...!!, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Solaris [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
One of the most boring movies I have ever had to bail out of. Yes, I have tried to watch this monstrosity three times and each time the tedium weighs heavier and heavier upon me. This horrible waste of time may appeal as a "think piece" to folk with intellectual pretensions but I'm just an ordinary guy who likes almost every genre of movie from foreign art films to American grindhouse nonsense and I can say to you with a clear conscience and no fear of contradiction that "Solaris" is best avoided unless you are dire need of sleep.

retro-ACTION! Volume Two - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
retro-ACTION! Volume Two - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Roger Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, there you go...!!!, 25 Oct. 2012
As of this writing, I see Network have reduced the price of their Retro Actioners by a third, so now is the time to grab your copy. My initial quibble was that the price was almost 13 quid, but I dutifully paid it because this is great stuff...!!

The "Dangerman" episode here is from the later series and runs for about 50 minutes. The episode on the 3rd volume is from the earlier series and only runs for half that time. "The Prisoner" is the premier episode and a great introduction to this rather quirky series if you have never seen it before.

This is great stuff and it certainly looks better here than on any dvd I have seen. Most of these shows are British all the way. "Man In A Suitcase" has the obligatory American star/co-star that later shows had to have in order to make them more palatable for the American market (Tony Curtis in "The Persuaders, Stuart Damon in "The Champions" available on other volumes).

Great shows, Great stars. Look for a very young John Hurt in "Gideon's Way" along with the always welcome Darren Nesbitt. The gorgeous Dawn Addams guests in "The Saint"..ah, look... it's all good.

retro-ACTION! Volume Three - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
retro-ACTION! Volume Three - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Richard Greene

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Good...!, 25 Oct. 2012
For a 55-year-old TV show, both "Robin Hood" and "The Invisible Man" look very good on Blu-Ray... so does the rest of the program.

HD can be a bit of a bummer when it comes to primitive Special FX. You'll see the strings on the telephone handle as it goes flying off the hook in The Invisible Man and, because of a rather unfortunate camera angle, Peter Brady's invisible eyes can be seen behind his bandages for a second or two. This would never have been visible on a small, flickering, cathode ray tude in the mid 1950s but on a 56" HD screen it's a little obvious. Doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment of these fine old British programs of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Robin Hood, Invisible Man, Dangerman and Shirley's World are all 25-minute shows while the rest run for around 50-minutes each. This is a fine selection vintage television... and I've never seen it look so good and sharp on a big screen.

retro-ACTION! Volume One - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
retro-ACTION! Volume One - [ITV] - [Network] - [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Roger Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice..!, 25 Oct. 2012
Actually, I'm enjoying all three volumes of Network's "Retro-Action" Blu-Ray discs. I've never seen these old shows look so good. HD has given these retro actioners a new "zing" that makes my old A&E dvd copies of Dangerman and The Saint look a little ragged around the edges. You get five 50-minute programs.. all great fun and a wonderful timewarp for those of us who were there the first time around.

I'm glad I bought this.

The Green Hornet [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
The Green Hornet [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal...!, 25 Oct. 2012
The Green Hornet played as a buffoon. New Blu-Ray copies of this title are selling very cheaply... this should give you some idea of what a piece of garbage the movie is.

It's all been said before and the film has been almost universally panned, except for a handful of people who must be related to Seth Rogan... clearly the movie's weakest link. Rogan is grossly miscast and should stick to dumb comedies where his stupid "Wow, dude.." attitude and smart mouth may find some degree of acceptance with a pre-pubescent schoolboy audience. Which misguided soul told this fatty slice of Canadian bacon that he was funny..??? The casting agent for The Green Hornet movie should be taken outside and given a good slapping.

That being said, the movie as a whole is an interminable yawnfest. It took me three goes to sit through it before I tossed the dvd into the bin. This piece of cinematic pig swill makes one yearn for the Van Williams / Bruce Lee television series of the mid-60s.

Don't waste your money. Not funny enough to be a comedy. Too stupid to be an actioner. A total waste of celluloid.

Columbia Pictures, Please remake The Green Hornet starring Keanu Reeves at Brett Reid and Donnie Yen at Kato. What you have done is a travesty..!!

All Starr Band
All Starr Band
Offered by Smart-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Garth Hudson?? ...On "guitar"??, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: All Starr Band (Audio CD)
So it says on the cd insert. I didn't know that Garth swung an axe but if that's the case, who plays those gorgeous accordion lines behind Rick Danko's vocal on "Raining In My Heart"? Certainly has that beautiful, rustic Garth touch...

I love these cds where old rockers form new bands with their mates (from other rock bands of the past) and show these new boy bands and plastic divas what good music is all about. Bill Wyman and his Rhythm Kings, Jon Lord and The Hoochie Coochie Men and , of course, Ringo and his All-Starr Band.

This is the first All-Starr band that Ringo toured with back in 1989 and this is a fine set of songs. Not a clunker in the pack and I even forgive Ringo for messing up the lyrics on "Honey Don't" ...but he got out of it with his trade-mark good humour.

Truly a fine listen.. especially if, like me, you were there the first time around. A melancholy moment for me was to look at the faces on the cover and see how many of the fellas were no longer with us. Billy Preston, Levon Helm, Rick Danko and Clarence Clemmons. R.I.P. guys.

I'm glad I bought this. Have a listen... and ENJOY!

Battle: Los Angeles [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Battle: Los Angeles [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Aaron Eckhart

2.0 out of 5 stars Whatever pluses this movie may have..., 5 Oct. 2012
..and hey, I don't mind cliched action and good dumb alien fun, everything here is totally ruined by the hand-held verite-style filming. Blair Witch has a lot to answer for. The camera constantly shakes, wavers, pans and zooms to the point where it makes me dizzy. No scene ever seems complete. Also mismatched footage (but nowhere as bad as in "Apollo 18") abounds.

So, in essence, what could have been a passable sci-fi actioner is completely ballsed-up by news-reporter-style camerawork.... and it goes on for nearly 2 hours. The story is familiar but still pretty good. The execution of it sucks the big one.

If you don't mind this kind of filming then you may be in your element.... otherwise, try something else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12