Profile for D. Betteridge > Reviews

Content by D. Betteridge

D. Betteridge (Dallas, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Castey Vulcano 18cm / 7" Inch Saucepan (suitable for all cooking surfaces: gas, ceramic, electric & induction)

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious quality, 11 Feb. 2013
I am so impressed with this pan! It is definitely non-stick, but it reminds me of my grandmother's cast iron cookware in weight and performance. Best of both worlds. Some features are the pouring lip, which works well, and allows for just enough steam escape so that your pot doesn't boil over; it also has an easily removable handle, making the pan useable in the oven- just unscrew the release at the end of the handle. So far, the release seems very safe. For the price, I am amazed at the quality. I've been looking in shops trying to decide on a pan and couldn't believe what was being asked for tinny, throw away stuff. When I saw this Castey Vulcano for about £30 I was afraid of what I might be getting, but what a relief. I never saw anything this good in the shops. Take note though, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE A LID! I bought that separately, but it was still reasonable, and the lid is an excellent fit and quality as well. It's rim is lined with silicone and fits the pan with no leaks, and no banging around! When it's time to replace more of my cookware, I'm definitely purchasing this brand again.

Swissco Double Sided Wooden Back Brush Natural Bristle/Massager
Swissco Double Sided Wooden Back Brush Natural Bristle/Massager

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh, that's nice, 11 Feb. 2013
Don't bother calling hubby to scrub your back any more, it won't be as good as this anyway! This is a great brush. The quality is top notch: smooth, polished hard wood handle long enough to reach everything, well seated natural bristles with just the right amount of stiffness for a good scrub- not scratch, and the all important rope from which to hang it. Yes, it is double sided. The other side is composed of little wooden pegs on a cushion. Like another reviewer mentioned, I don't use them either. They didn't do anything for me, but they are free with the brush, which is fantastic. It took about two weeks to receive the brush, but it was worth the wait. Don't waste your time with the plastic bristled cheap ones, this is so much better. Glad I went with it.

Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White
Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light!, 11 Feb. 2013
I bought these for my husband because he hated the dark recess of our display case. These were the perfect solution. I'd bought them a few times before as gifts for other people and just hoped that they were as great as they sounded. Every bit of it. I get about 30 hours out of a charge, and they will work while they are being charged if you have them in the stand. The light they put off is exactly what you would get from regular candles, including the flicker. The candles themselves are made of nice looking, very heavy, frosted glass, while the base is a silver plastic. Sorry, can't make that sound overly nice! The instructions say you will get about 1000 hours of light from the rechargeable batteries, with a slightly noticeable change at about 500 hours. We'll see. I'm happy with the purchase.

Mary Berry's Baking Bible
Mary Berry's Baking Bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Look, Ma, I can bake!, 11 Feb. 2013
As a self-professed bad baker, I'm enjoying working my way through these recipes. The instructions are clearly laid out in an easy to understand manner. So far I've made some delicious profiteroles and an apple pie, both far better than anything I've tasted out of any bakery. It even earned me my first compliment from my husband- "nice" rather than "not bad." Tough tester.

The Kindle edition includes a working table of contents to each self-explanatory chapter, then each chapter has a linked table of contents to each recipe. Maybe watching British Bake-off has just made me want to try harder, but honestly, I've never been so thrilled with a cook book before. This one is worth it.

Trendz Folio Case with Closing Strap for Amazon Kindle 4 - Purple Floral
Trendz Folio Case with Closing Strap for Amazon Kindle 4 - Purple Floral
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cover!, 6 Feb. 2013
I am very protective of my Kindle, but I'm not about to spend a fortune on the cover. This cover is brilliant. It is a simple blue and white floral canvas material with elastic bands for securing the Kindle and an additional band to secure the front and back together in both the opened and closed position. There is additional padding to the elastic holding the Kindle so that there is no scratching. The other band is especially helpful in that you can slip your hand into it to give you a really good grip when you are reading (provided you are right handed.) I find it particularly useful when reading in bed and perhaps not in an upright position. The inside of the cover is a suede (type?) material. It's soft and keeps the screen from being scratched. It fits the Kindle touch, Kindle Paper White, and the (non-touch, non-keyboard) Kindle. I did not buy my this blue and white one from Amazon, but I like it so much I am buying my second one here.

Update: Received my new cover, and it's just as brilliant as the first. FYI: This one is vinyl rather than canvas, if that makes a difference to you.

The Cumbrian Republic
The Cumbrian Republic

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be fun if..., 29 Jan. 2013
I downloaded a sample of this book because the premise sounded interesting and I was looking for a regional book. The story could have been really fun, but the editing/proof-reading is non-existant. It is poor enough to lose a potential sale. If the author would put it right, he would probably do alright. Here's hoping I can read a good copy of the book some day.

You Can Sleep In Your Car But You Can't Drive Your House To Work
You Can Sleep In Your Car But You Can't Drive Your House To Work

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and comforting, 23 Nov. 2012
I don't drink, I don't believe in god, and I've never been homeless, but I found this book very inspirational. I can't imagine going through what this man has gone through and coming out the other side (even more) whole. He did bring it all on himself, he admits freely, but it is his attitude and what he learned and shares about dealing with your fears that really made an impact on me.

Roberts ECO1W Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio wth Built-in Battery Charger - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 20 Nov. 2012
This is a great radio. After a quick read through the instructions I got it up and running, and am in love with this gadget. The sound is good for a small radio, it looks nice, love having so many different power options- it just couldn't get much better for this type of product. I plugged in my Roberts under pillow speaker and listened to it throughout the night and decided I had to review it.

I almost didn't buy it due to the one star ratings about the sound quality. This is a radio with a single speaker. It's not a hi-fi system. It sounds like a small radio with a single speaker is going to sound. I listen to classical music and talk radio, both of which are clear and of good enough quality to enjoy. I live in a rural area, but the reception on this radio is better than what I receive on my Sony DAB stereo, and that is without the aerial extended. The quality of the radio is very sturdy, the buttons are of a nice size and the display is readable. There is a switch on the side to lock the buttons, which comes in the locked position out of the box. Handy to know in case you think the on/off button is not working, as I mistakenly did at first.

So long as the radio doesn't suddenly quit working, I am more than happy with my decision to buy.

Festive Antique Metallic Finish Christmas Robin Jingle Bell Ornament 11 cm, Bronze

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner!, 20 Nov. 2012
This looked really cute from the pictures, but I was nervous about the purchase because the quality could have been disappointing. When I got it I was happily surprised that it was well made and looked just like it did in the photo. I bought several of them as Christmas gifts and am relieved that it turned out to be a good choice. I won't be ashamed to give these away (after I peel off the made in China sticker, of course.)

Fair Weather
Fair Weather

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden talent, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Fair Weather (Kindle Edition)
Fair Weather has a bit of everything: romance, medieval history, fantasy, time travel, suspense, murder, and battle scenes. You'd think that is taking on too much in one book, but I think it is really done well, especially the romance. Ever so gently heating up, then pulling back- well, you understand. I admit that if I had read about the book first, I would not have chosen it. I was sure I didn't like romance, fantasy, time travel or battle scenes, so I was stunned that I enjoyed it so much that I really felt compelled to encourage others to read it. I was also surprised that there was practically no other reviews for the book, and nearly nothing on Barbara Gaskell Denvil, the author. This is really enjoyable writing.

If I had to make any critical judgements, it would only be that the climax seems to be in an unusual place in the story. The ultimate "answer" could have easily been the end of the book, but it wasn't. After the climax, I thought maybe the book was a bit too long in continuing the story, but in the end I decided that it was handled all right because I was still interested in the well developed characters. There was a nice feeling of closure.

I've become very sceptical about 5 star reviews with so much self-publishing, almost to the point of avoiding books that have no negative reviews; however, this one honestly deserved praised. I hope the author continues to write and find a larger audience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3