Profile for Pinkmat > Reviews

The Christmas Mystery
The Christmas Mystery
by Jostein Gaarder

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery book, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Christmas Mystery (Paperback)
When I was having a good book turn out in September 2010 I came across this book on a shelf and I have no idea where it came from. I don't remember buying it or receiving it as a gift. As soon as I finished it I passed it on to my daughter who has 3 sons. Every year since then she has read it a chapter at a time leading up to Christmas. They now follow the journey on a globe or a map; they do drawings of Norwegian churches and year by year the book seems to be even more magical. We are not a religious family but we love Christmas and this book has become a part of our family tradition. I would recommend it to people with great imaginations who like to enter into the world of a book with children. My daughter told me today that she is surprised that there seems to be no study work on it. Perhaps it is better that way.
I am now going to buy another copy for my son's children who are now old enough to appreciate it.

Stolen
Stolen
by Lesley Pearse

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I've never read Lesley Pearse before and bought Stolen because it was half price - which indicates something! I disliked her writing style but wanted to know what was going to happen only to come across a ghastly, horribly detailed sex scene which was totally unnecessary. There were other ways to explain what had happened. As others have said, it's far fetched nonsense having one character who is so 'nice' and the heroine of the book but who has every bad thing that could happen to a woman in life happen to her! It's ridiculous. Although it is set in the Chichester area where my best friend lives and with whom I swap books I wouldn't pass it on to her or anyone without feeling apologetic!

Microwavable Hair Curlers
Microwavable Hair Curlers

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Microwavable Hair Curlers
I found these curlers awkward to use. It was hard to get the right temperature and they didn't stay in my hair very well. I'm returning them.

Kickmaster Quick Up Goal And Target Shot - Yellow/Black
Kickmaster Quick Up Goal And Target Shot - Yellow/Black

3.0 out of 5 stars piece missing, 10 Dec 2011
This goal looks good but I have to send it back as a vital piece is missing so be sure to check it as soon as it arrives. Don't wait till Christmas!

Dreamland Thermo Therapy Heat Pad
Dreamland Thermo Therapy Heat Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 13 Nov 2011
This heat pad does what it says on the label. It's light and portable and handy for warming your back or anywhere else where you might need a bit of warmth.

Peepo!
Peepo!
by Janet Ahlberg
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars best board book ever, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Peepo! (Board book)
I love this book and buy it every time someone in the family (or my friends) have a baby. It's beautifully illustrated. The holes in each page appeal to the children. You can start with it when they are tiny and carry on till they are 2, 3 or 4. As they get older the illustrations mean more as they are quite detailed. It's a wonderful book and I wish I had written it myself!

The Duchess of Kent: The Troubled Life of Katharine Worsley
The Duchess of Kent: The Troubled Life of Katharine Worsley
by Mary Riddell

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit repetative, 15 Mar 2011
I was interested in reading the life story of The Duchess of Kent because I am an M.E. sufferer and wanted to see how it had affected her and how the diagnosis then changed to coeliac disease. Besides that, I'd heard she'd had an unhappy marriage so I thought it would be interesting reading. Well, it's a bit dull and repetative with the writer constantly going over the fact that Katharine Worsley had a close relationship with her father and repeating other aspects of her life ad nauseum so it's not a great read. It's o.k. but left me wondering why she is so unhappy with a man who so obviously loves her.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 2:01 AM BST

Wall Mural Stickers (vinyl wall art) Planets for Children
Wall Mural Stickers (vinyl wall art) Planets for Children

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and realistic, 3 Feb 2010
These planets are easy to stick and so far have stayed on the wall. They look great. I'm just waiting for grandsons to visit to give their reaction.

The Plague of Doves
The Plague of Doves
by Louise Erdrich

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Plague of Doves (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book because of the Native American involvement but I have a rule about reading books now that I am aged 64 - if I'm not enjoying by the time I get half way through then I give up. Life's too short and there are too many other books out there to get through before I die! I wish I had liked this book as I really wanted to but I found it far too dense and meandering. When it gets to the point of having to reread paragraphs then I know there's no point in going on. Other reviewers have obviously seen more in this book than I did.

More Than a Month of Sundaes
More Than a Month of Sundaes
by Michael Turback

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Dec 2009
Like other people who have written reviews on the only books which seem to be available about making Sundaes I was very disappointed with this one. I bought it as a Christmas present and returned it. It's very American and full of information but if it's recipes with nice pictures you want then don't buy this. If you're interested in the history of Sundaes and American Diners then you'll like it.