ARRAY(0xaf383f30)

Profile for James Kilgour > Reviews

Content by James Kilgour

James Kilgour "JimboOfTheShire" (Scotland, UK)

Halo 3 Legendary Edition (Xbox 360)
Halo 3 Legendary Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, in arguably the coolest special edition ever!, 26 Sep 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Halo 2 was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was a technically sound game (much more impressive than the original in that area), but I didn't think it was as fun as the original Halo (the best game ever imo). Halo 3 is lightyears better than Halo 2, and seems to be to the Halo trilogy what Return of the king was to the LOTR movie trilogy - epic and amazing!
As far as the legendary edition, it was worth every penny! First of all, the helmet - wow its an awesome piece! Quite big, but theres no chance its going to fit on a humans head :( Looks excellent though.
And two disks of bonus material??? We're spoiled! Disk one has the basic making-of, aswell as a couple of short featurettes (approx 15 mins each), and some Red vs Blue video clips, along with other little bits and pieces (including themes and gamer pics). If that wasn't enough, the second disk contains a collection of cinematics from Halo and Halo 2 (clocking in at over two hours, its a great way to get up to speed....apart from actually playing the games themselves! and why wouldn't you?!), there are some more short featurettes, and other bits and pieces, along with a book of storyboards in the case. If I had one complaint, the two cases which contain the three disks aren't that nice looking, so I'd advise swapping them with nicer DVD cases in your collection! But thats a teeny tiny complaint about what is the nicest edition of a game, of anything actually, ever!

Top Gear Anthems
Top Gear Anthems
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Top Gear Anthems (Audio CD)
Usually when I buy compilation CDs, I find that there are a few good, recognisable songs (usually the first few on each CD), and the rest are either a) crap, or b) by a really good band, but one of their lesser known songs. Not this CD. Almost every song on it is both recognisable and actually very good (particularily for driving).

The first CD is (as described in the booklet) from the earlier 90's Top Gear, which featured classic songs from such bands as Queen, Meatloaf, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Motorhead. The second CD features more recent hits from such bands as Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand and Blur. And also most all songs are one of those band's best/most popular tracks (eg. Queen - Don't Stop Me Now, Coldplay - Clocks, etc)

All of these songs are great for driving with, and really make me wish I had a convertible, so I could put the roof down, whip on the sun glasses, crank the volume way up and scream down the Motorway at 90 mph. As the title states, this CD does exactly what it says on the tin in that it gives you some of the best driving anthems you can get for your money! Buy it immediately!

The Dan Brown Illustrated Box Set: Exclusive To Amazon.co.uk
The Dan Brown Illustrated Box Set: Exclusive To Amazon.co.uk
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books! Great editions! Great price!, 22 Feb 2006
I must admit I was one of those people who read the Da Vinci code first, even though Angels and Demons is set first. While I slightly prefer Da Vinci code to A & D, they are both amazing books, both touch on different yet equally interesting subjects:
clash of religions and hidden messages in Da Vinci Code, and Science vs Religion in Angels and Demons.
Anyway, you probably are aware with the general stories, what makes these editions special? Well, for one thing, there is no comparison between normal and the illustrated editions of both books, its much more rewarding to actually see acolour picture of the Last Supper while the characters are discussing it, or to see the many tombs, cathedrals and monuments discussed in Angels and Demons.
A must-buy

The Amityville Horror [DVD] [2005]
The Amityville Horror [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by 247dvd
Price: 4.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Katch'em & Kill'em, 19 Feb 2006
This movie surprised me in many ways. Firstly, it was actually a good horror movie. It had pretty good character development, much more than the average horor movie anyway. Also, Ryan Reynolds was pretty good in it - I despised Reynolds after seeing him in Blade: Trinity, but he somewhat redeemed himself with this movie.
What didn't surprise me was that this movie was much better than the original, because basically it had to be. I did not enjoy the original, the characters were 2-dimensional and the "scares" were just lame.
The thing that impressed me most about this movie, in the same fashion as the TCM remake, was how they made with the whole true-story angle. Even better in this case in that it's set after THE true story (TCM was loosely based on Ed Gein, this is actually based on The Defeo's and the REAL incident, just with a horror movie twist - voices, etc, thought Ronald did claim to hear voices)
While I wouldnt call this a must-see horror movie, or the best horror movie of the decade, its worth renting at least

Sin City: Hard Goodbye
Sin City: Hard Goodbye
by Frank Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars "I don't know about you, but I'm having a ball!", 22 Sep 2005
This review is from: Sin City: Hard Goodbye (Paperback)
being totally honest here, this the only Sin City graphic novel I've read. I would'nt have read it, had I no seen the film, and the only reason I watched the film was because I like R.Rodriguez and Q. Tarantino. And boy, I'm glad I watched it!
Basically, if you've seen the film, you've already pretty much read the book (and vice versa), but don't think it's a waste of time viewing both - I advise both, to truly experience SIN CITY
Anyway, about "The Hard Goodbye". You're probably familiar with the basic story, but in a nut shell, its about a criminal Marv, who at the beginning of the book, is having a real good time with Goldie, a Goddess as he describes her. Anyway, after their 'ahem' good time, Marv wakes up to find her dead. This sets up the rest of the story, with Marv working his way through the scum of Sin City, trying to find the main guy responsible for Goldie'' murder. And if you think The Bride's (Kill Bill) rampage of revenge was violent, you ain't seen nothing yet! Marv makes one hell of an impression of everyone who gets in his way!
As well as the violence, "The Hard Goodbye" has quite witty dialogue, and some truly memorable lines ("Worth dying for. Worth killing for. Worth going to hell for. Amen")
The art, while black and white, and soaked in blood, is strangely beautiful (Something they translated very well into the film)
If you're a fan of graphic novels and crime, and don't mind a spot or two of blood, I' check these books and the film out asap, coz they're worth it.

BloodRayne (Xbox)
BloodRayne (Xbox)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some areas, let down in others!, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: BloodRayne (Xbox) (Video Game)
First of all, this is overall a pretty good game. The graphics are pretty good, and I rather like the dismemberment of your foes. The only two problem's I have with the look of this game is theenviroment's can be a little bland and dull, and when you feed, blood gushes out in big spots, rather than a spray. Fair enough, it is a fairly old game, but this is an xbox game..
Sound overall is somewhat a disappointment. Weapons sound all very similar to each other, and voice acting is, well, crap. Also, the sound Rayne makes when she feed's doesnt sound very convincing.
I kinda like the Rayne character, I think she is an interesting character (basically Blade meets Lara Croft), but too much attention was used on making her, and other characters, sexy. During the first few levels, you are "assisted" by a similar 'creature' to yourself, Mynce, who basically doesnt have to move for her breasts to bounce up and down! Like I said, I do like Rayne, and I look forward to further exploration of her character in the sequel, and even more in the forthcoming movie (Kristanna Loken as Rayne! No one is better for that role!)
A strong point of this game is the different senses Rayne has, my favourite being Dilated Perception (basically slowed time, for as long as you wish), which is pretty fun for a while anyway. The other's, Aura sense and Extruded view are less fun and more helpful (although you dont really need them too much)
Blood Rage is fun and quite violent (some serious dismemberment here!),but again to a limit.
Weapons, sadly, aren't this game's strong point, although Rayne's 2 large blades are a nice touch. Combat however, is sloppy. One button for combat?!? this basically means only one combo, which is quite poor, and very tiresome after your 100th kill. You could use guns more often, but this isnt really that fun.You dont get to choose what weapons you take with you (they are picked up for you! Why in God's name the developers done this I have no idea, I thought that all games with guns would at least let you choose your weapons!)
This game has similarities to a more recent (and much much better)action game The Punisher.
Despite the negatives i have mentioned, this is a pretty decent game, with an "Underworld" feel to it. While it is selling pretty cheap just now, I'd play it safe and rent it first.

Angel - Season 5 [DVD]
Angel - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Boreanaz
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 51.32

5.0 out of 5 stars "Trapped in the web of the Wolf, the Ram, the Hart", 25 May 2005
This review is from: Angel - Season 5 [DVD] (DVD)
To be honest, the main reason I purchased this DVD set (besides being a huge Angel/Buffy fan) is because of Illyria. She is definetely my favourite character that has appeared on Angel and Buffy, I cant get enough of her!
Anyway, im supposed to be reviewing the whole thing itself! Well, all in all it is a great season, and still doesnt fail to entertain. While the overall level of humor of the show is less, there are some truly comical episodes ("Life of the party" - Alexis Denisof's and Amy Acker's drunken performances are painfully funny- and "smile Time" mostly), and the chemistry between Spike and Angel is brilliant. Lorne, however, while still humourful, is a slightly darker shade of green in this series, especially nearer the end.
What this season does excel in is its many plot twists, almost one in each episode, unlike before. This is a slightly darker, more serious season than previous seasons.
Probably my favourite episode in this series, and altogether, is "A Hole in the World". Written and Directed by Joss Whedon (surprise surprise! he does all the best ones!), this episode had me in tears, as Amy Acker's final performance as Winifred Burkle, combined with Alexis's best performance, was truly heartbreaking. Definetely a stand-out episode. Plus, the introduction of the ancient God Illyria (woohoo!!!!)
I wouldnt say it is the best season, as season 3 takes a bit of beating (I think these 2 are battling for top spot), it is an excellent season, with a really good DVD to boot. As this was my first Angel/Buffy DVD (collecting video's up until now), I wasnt sure how good the bonus stuff and quality would be. However, they proved to be quite enjoyable, and the quality is impressive.
Those of you who collect the video collection of Angel (or Buffy), stop. Start getting the DVD's, and start with this.

Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Xbox)
Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Xbox)

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of the Force, my friend, 21 May 2005
When I learned that the Collective were going to make this game, i was so excited and glad. Then seeing the making of the game on the Star Wars trilogy DVD boxset only increased my excitement.
And let me tell you now, this game does not disappoint!
I like these action-adventure/hack slash games, but what is important for me mainly is that they play well and looked good. This game could well be one of the best of its type (in muy opinion, only Ninja Gaiden is more enjoyable). Add that to the fact that its a Star Wars license, AND based on the third film of the prequel trilogy (which looks amazing), and WOW!!!
The game looks, sounds and plays like a dream! As you'd expect from a Star Wars game, sound effects are never an issue! Voices are great, and the music is also excellent (although the music gets a wee bit tiresome after a while). Characters look great (and all have their own unique lightsaber fighting style!)
Their are plenty of extra's, which are unlicked by completing the levels (I hate games where you have to run through levels many times to find all the secrets to unlock bonuses), including concept art and movies from the film (I cant help but smile everytime I see the final movie unlocked by beating anakin with obi wan on the final level! Darth Vader is back!!!)
Which leads on to the fact that the final duel is not only excellent, but you get to play it from either side! winning as anakin unlocks a cool alternate ending
There are also bonus levels (including playing as Yoda!!! pure quality!, and Darth Vader vs Ben kenobi (from a new hope, on the death star)
Also is a few coop levels, and an awesome 2 player duel feature, where you can play as characters from the film (shame you cant get darth sidious or yoda in this, but you do get darth vader which more than makes up for this!). this feature, in my opinion, is as enjoyable as mortal kombat or whatever when you have pals around to play it with.
Overall, an awesome game, whether you like star wars or not. Think crossing EA's LOTR-the two towers with Buffy, and you get Episode 3: Revenge of the sith!
Pure quality! And you get to be yoda, in all his high flying, ass kicking glory

Saw (Uncut, Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Saw (Uncut, Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leigh Whannell
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 1.62

5.0 out of 5 stars You dont know me, but I know you, 21 Feb 2005
What a surprising film. At last, a fresh, original horror film that isnt Japanese!
Some of you may think Im overrating this movie, you may even think its a load of crap. However, if you do think that, then i would strongly have to disagree. Im not a huge fan of the old video nasties (Driller Killer, The Burning, etc), but I would say of all the more recent horror movies, Saw is as close as you get to being in the spirit of the "Nasties".
If you are reading this, you are probably already familiar with the basic story of the movie, so I'll spare you the whole "Once upon a time..." section, and get right to the good/bad bits.
In actual fact, I didnt focus on any gaffs in the film, which is surprising for me! I just sat back and went on a rollercoaster ride, and I'd advise you (assuming your a hardcore horror fan, like myself!) to do the same.
Word of warning, this is quite a violent, grizzly film. While it does contain a fair share of on-screen violence, it does sometimes revert to the old "Texas Chainsaw" trick, in that it doesnt show you everything, but leaves some stuff to the imagination. However, as you can see this is the Uncut version, this does not happen too often!
The Killer in this movie is quite unique, in that he doesnt actually kill people, he finds horrific ways for them to kill themselves, his "games" as he calls them. He also isnt the usual "guy in the white mask" as in most horror flicks. He has two main 'forms' in this film. First, we see him in a black/red robe, which isnt completely original, but still not the white mask were so sick of. He does, however, have a pig-mask (I thought it looked like a pig anyway, correct me if Im wrong), which is quite creepy and disturbing. You may have seen the clown-dummy on the press material, which is also seen quite alot in this film.
Acting is quite impressive in this film, especially from the two main characters. I have seen Carl Elwes before, but in minor roles. I found his performance in this film very impressive. Newcomer Leigh Whannell (also the writer of the piece) was equally impressive. The biggest name in this film, however, was Danny Glover, although I was glad that his role wasnt a huge one (I originally assumed this movie would have stuck ol' Danny in front of the camera as much as possible, I was wrong.)
The music in this film was quite interesting, it wasnt the usual creepy halloween-type music in most horror films. It fitted the film perfectly. The music in the final scene was brilliant, and really helped make the conclusion what it is.
And what a conclusion it is! (Im gonna try not to spoil it!) I would argue Saw has the best twist ending Ive ever seen! it took me nigh on twenty minutes to digest those final few minutes.
The DVD is satisfactory, with a music video, making-of music video, and a mini-featurette with the writer and director. The surround sound is quite impressive (especially with the killers voice messages on tapes), and the picture is slightly grainy, which makes the film look better in my point of view.
Just watch it!

Macbeth [DVD] [1971]
Macbeth [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Jon Finch
Price: 5.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Bloody and Brilliant!, 15 Mar 2004
This review is from: Macbeth [DVD] [1971] (DVD)
Im no Shakespeare fan, Macbeth was the first of his work that i read! However, it remains the best, and this Roman Polanski version is given a dark and brutal twist, but nevertheless, remains totally faithful! The acting is top-notch, the enviroments in the film are superb, the music is truly dark (very effective!), but it is the dark violence of the film that gives it its reputation! All in all, a beautifully dark woven tale of treason,greed and murder! Remember, "Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair"
The disk leaves room for improvement in all areas, but its the film were all interested in! The film pays off the price alone!