Profile for Mr. Jamie J. Mclaughlin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Jamie J. M...

Mr. Jamie J. Mclaughlin

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 27 Jan. 2014
This adapter feels like quality, works perfectly, and is intelligently designed. There is not too much more to say. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Kingston Digital DataTraveler R30 (DTR30/16GB)
Kingston Digital DataTraveler R30 (DTR30/16GB)
Offered by MOREMAC

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! a decent memory stick!, 16 Aug. 2013
Just thought I'd write a line or two about this excellent memory stick. It may sound like an odd thing to get enthusiastic about. However, anybody who has owned a few sticks will know that they vary hugely in terms of compatibility and reliability. This stick, I'm pleased to say, mounts as a mass storage device flawlessly on Linux and OSX. I assume it does Windows too. It has lasted really well, with no read errors or dodgy behaviour. A class act; highly recommended.

PowerGen 8400mAh Dual USB Port External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Built-In Flashlight for Smart phones, Android Phones, iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning adapters not included), iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, HTC One X / V / S, Sensation, EVO, Nokia Lumia 920 N9, Motorola Razr, Blackberry Z10, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 4 and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, 3 Sept. 2012
I bought this item so that I'd be able to charge my phone at a festival. It did the job perfectly. I got three full recharges from the device, and even then it still reported itself as three quarters full, so that's actually a bit better than the manufacturers claim.

I had expected to restrict my phone use to emergencies at the festival, but after my first recharge when I realised it worked, I was twittering and even YouTubeing all festival. It's a really great product.

Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones Colour BLACK
Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones Colour BLACK

3.0 out of 5 stars Industrial strength earphones, 24 Sept. 2009
I'm broadly happy with these earphones. The sound isolation aspect is taken very seriously - you really can't hear much when you're wearing these. They'd be absolutely perfect for the tube or an aeroplane, as others have pointed out.

The sound is extremely detailed. I regularly hear details in tracks which I wasn't hearing with my old earphones. In particular, the stereo separation is excellent. For the first few hours the high end was too prominent. As with most new hi-fi gear, a bit of prolonged use corrected this. The earphones now continue to sound better each day.

They are not necessarily comfortable to wear. After a few weeks of use, I've arrived at the conclusion that these earphones might have been designed primarily for stage use. They are built to a more durable and bulky specification than most in-ear headphones, and are much larger. They press against your ear at several points. Of course, This is necessary for the sound to work properly. It's absolutely vital that you spend a bit of time choosing the attachments that work best for you from the 'fit kit'.

A good fit will make the sound excellent, although it also gives a sensation of pressure in the ears which you may not find comfortable. Also, if you walk with these earphones in, you can hear every step transmitted through your body.

Overall, I'm happy with these and appreciate the detailed sound and rugged build quality. However, when these wear out I will not replace them with the same model. I'll look for something lighter and more comfortable to wear.

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi
by Yann Martel

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun. Shallow., 31 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Paperback)
I'm afraid I have to add my voice to those who question how exactly this slightly trivial novel won the Booker Prize.
As a survival story, it's fun and quite tense. There are some immersive descriptions of little Pi's struggle to keep himself alive on the vast ocean. The later, surreal section of the book is beguiling and evocative. It successfully evokes the dream-like feel I think it's aiming for.
I am puzzled as to how anybody could think the book carries philosophical weight. I think children might enjoy it, but if you're in any way a sophisticated adult, don't expect it to change your life. It's quite depressing that anybody could think the book's message profound, and in a sense slightly insulting.
Still, it's a pretty good page turner, and gave me a few days of entertaining reading.

Clor
Clor

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just the tunes, 10 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Clor (Audio CD)
I've read endless reviews of this record which witter about the incongrous styles involved. It's been variously called art-rock, techno, electronica, pop. In actual fact all you need to know about Clor is that they know their way around a tune.
You should buy this record because the songs are excellent. Lyrically and musically, there's real talent here. Special mention must also go to the production (why don't more bands self-produce?). It's absolutely perfect - astonishing in places.

How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions
How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions
by Francis Wheen

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Dull to read., 20 May 2005
I'm afraid I have to add my voice to those here who found Wheen's book either mendacious or simply poorly researched.
The title suggests a coherent narrative of some kind. What you actually get is a series of crushingly one-sided essays on what I imagine must be some of Wheen's personal bugbears. These tend to work if you don't know much about the subject. For example, I'm in no position to defend self-help books or Thatcher's economic model. But when Wheen stumbled into an area I do know something about (poststructuralism / postmodernism) it became clear that his rhetorical technique consists of a combination of wilfully misunderstanding his opponent's ideas and blatant omission.
"How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered The World" reminded me very much of a Michael Moore polemic but, if you can imagine this, even more unbalanced and badly researched. It's also pretty dry and dull to read.

Mobile Home
Mobile Home
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine lost classic - seriously!, 15 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
I'm not really sure why this album sank without trace upon its release, or why every professional review I've ever read of it seems so nonplussed. I suppose the story of a "Britpop" band making a disappointing second album and disappearing without trace is so familiar that it practically writes itself, without a thought as to whether or not it might apply in this case.
This record is astounding. I believe I once heard the sound described as "trip-hop", which does it a massive disservice. It's "trip-hop" only in the most complimentary sense; dripping in atmosphere and distinguished melody. Indeed, it's so far ahead of the post-Britpop crowd in 1999 that in a way I can see why they had trouble selling it as the straight guitar album suggested by bolt-on single-by-numbers "Blue Skies".
It's hard to convincingly enthuse about Mobile Home in words, because it's charm comes from the sheer strength of the songs. Perhaps it's best to communicate its quality by thinking about the personnel involved; The best voice of the "Britpop" era combined with a guitarist who later, packaged to the "singer songwriter" coffee table crowd, was to be lauded in his own right.
I think perhaps few people listened hard enough first time around simply because you don't expect to hear songs of this caliber on the sophomore effort of a knockabout guitar pop band. In reality, the Longpigs were streets ahead of their contemporaries. We only have two records to remember them by, and Mobile Home is absolutely essential.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2013 10:53 AM GMT

The Perfect Fool
The Perfect Fool
by Stewart Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Momentum, 20 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Perfect Fool (Paperback)
About 150 pages into The Perfect Fool I finally "got it". That is, the theme that binds together the characters, the title and the Hopi story which punctuates the book. From that point on, I knew where we were going and the question we were going to answer. If you've screwed up really badly, or were just made wrong, how do you get over it?
Well, the answer is that it happens a bit like in a film. This is an extremely cinematic book, communicating mostly through its economically but effectively described visuals. It would look good on a screen; it looked good in my head. In some places I thought the Hollywood tone prompted the use of slightly clichéd settings, and on first impressions you might think you've met some of the characters before. But this is misleading. These people, even the villains, are deep and make sense.
This is a book that gathers momentum magnificently. It's basically unputdownable from about three quarters through. Like a good movie, you know when and where the payoff is coming but have no idea how a resolution can be found. I was sure there would be a sad ending. I was sure that any journey to destroy your past must be futile. Actually, the finish is surprising and wise.
This is definitely worth reading. I actually missed Lewis, Tracy, Luther, Sid and even Danny after they'd gone. I think that's a pretty high recommendation.