Profile for James > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Jackie
Jackie

5.0 out of 5 stars One and Only, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Jackie (Audio CD)
I’ve always supported Ciara and own all of her albums but it wasn’t until her self titled in 2013 that I became a true fan. ‘Ciara’ quickly became one of my favourite albums of all time and for the first time, I felt excited to be getting a new Ciara album. Her follow up ‘Jackie’, had a lot to live up to and I’m happy to report, it doesn’t disappoint.

As a whole I don’t find ‘Jackie’ to be as instant as ‘Ciara’, there are some instant hits for me: That’s How I Like It, Lullaby, Dance Like We’re Making Love - AMAZING, I Bet, Give Me Love, Kiss & Tell - AMAZING, Only One. Then there are the growers: Stuck On You, Fly, One Woman Army. And finally the songs that just haven’t clicked with me yet: Jackie BMF, All Good, I Got You.

Like ‘Ciara’, ‘Jackie' has a stronger pop influence than her earlier work but I love this direction she’s heading in. I don’t want her to abandon her roots completely but it’s great that she’s trying something new. In fact, post ‘Ciara’ I actually appreciate her earlier work even more. She has such a varied back catalogue now and has quickly become one of my favourite female artists in recent years.

All in all, a very strong follow up to the incredible (and criminally underrated) ‘Ciara’. Hopefully, ‘Jackie’ will bring Ciara the recognition and appreciation she deserves.

The Walking Dead - Season 4 [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Walking Dead - Season 4 [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars They're f***ing with the wrong people!, 17 Oct. 2014
Yes, yes and yes. Just finished watching the final episode on bluray and I can confirm that Rick's final line is 'they're F-ing with the wrong people' as it is in the comic. When I watched this on tv, Rick's final line was 'they're screwing with the wrong people' and it didn't have half the impact as it does now. I know it's only one line but it's a great character moment and one that might just change the outlook of the show forever.

Ok, so I'm a huge fan of the show but I'm the first to admit that this is a very inconsistent series. The fourth series brings yet another show runner to the helm and one who has the daunting task of trying to tie up the events at the end of a rather lacklustre third series. He succeeds mostly by concluding the govenor storyline in the first half on the season and laying the foundations for the show's future in the second half. Yes, it feels a little uneven but still, the Walking Dead season four contains some of the shows best episodes to date. 'Too Far Gone', 'The Grove' and 'A' are stand outs but I can honestly say I enjoyed every episode of the series.

Sure, the writing could be better and I've rolled my eyes more times than I can remember when it comes to stupid character decisions on the show. But the writers are finally beginning to understand these characters and they are people you can really root for. You see how far some of these characters have come since the first season and they are totally different people now. Characters you may not have liked at all are suddenly favourites and if that's not a sign of great writing I don't know what is.

Season four further strengthens the shows bright future and I can't recommend it enough. I get the impression that the guys behind the show are finally starting to believe in these great characters and the show as a whole.

If the opening episode of season five is anything to go by, they're definitely on the right track.

Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Edition (PS4)
Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Edition (PS4)
Offered by Game_Front

5.0 out of 5 stars A L I E N part ll, 16 Oct. 2014
I haven't finished the game yet so these are really just my first impressions based on the first seven hours or so.

What an incredible experience this has been so far.

It's a difficult game for me to describe because I don't think I've ever played anything quite like it. At a push I'd say it's like a cross between Deadspace (the first one) and Outlast. If you enjoyed either of those games, there's a good chance you will enjoy Alien Isolation. Even more so if you're a fan of the Alien movies. They've got the atmosphere from the first movie spot on.

Creeping around the Sevastopol, the ageing cargo ship on which the game takes place, is a nerve-racking experience. It creaks and moans as you make you're way through the narrow, dimly-lit corridors. You hear noises behind you, above you, to the side of you. It's unnerving to say the least. And yet, your own movement/interaction with the environment seems excruciatingly loud at times. Entering vents/opening lockers/opening doors makes the most wincingly loud sounds imaginable. I've found myself shushhhing the tv on more than one occasion as you smash open the lock on a sealed door with your wrench. Even walking/sneaking in what I can only assume are steel-toed clogs can be very tense. Maybe it just seems so loud because you know that any noise you make will draw attention from whoever or whatever is lurking nearby.

The threat of being discovered is constant. There are other human survivors who need your gear to survive and will kill you to get it; malfunctioning Synthetic workers who I can only describe as Michael Myers on a bad day; and of course the Alien.

Now when I think of the Alien from the first movie, I picture an intelligent, slow-moving but deadly monster. There's a scene in the movie, for example, where the Alien moves gracefully, floating almost, towards it's victim who is paralysed with fear. Forget what you think you know. This thing is fast and it is relentless. When it first appears, slinking out of the ventilation system and dropping to the floor, it's like something out of a movie. The Alien sits there for a moment and then slowly, raises it's head, saliva dripping from its jaws. It's amazing and terrifying at the same time.

I spent the next twenty minutes hiding under a hospital bed wondering how the hell I was going to out-manoeuvre this perfect killing machine, whilst it stalked the corridors, searching rooms, looking for me. And when you hear those heavy footsteps getting closer and closer and it passes by the bed you're hiding under, the tension is like nothing else I've ever experienced in a game before. Sometimes you're lucky and the Alien will keep on walking. Other times, it may decide to check under the bed/in the locker/in the vents and it will find you. It really is frightening.

Part of that fear comes from the manual saving. Some people have complained about the manual saves but I think it makes the game. Autosaving/checkpoints would completely remove the threat of the Alien. I know this because whenever I find a save point, I get cocky. For five minutes at least. I don't care if the Alien catches me because I know I wont loose much progress if it does. But once you start completing tasks, the thought of dying and loosing twenty minutes of progress really ups the ante. You'll find yourself cowering under a desk praying that it leaves the room without seeing you. Some times it does, other times it doesn't, but that's what make's the experience so exciting. And to be fair, I haven't found the save points too punishing so far but there's a definite feeling of relief when you get to one. My advice would be to be patient and save frequently to avoid frustration. Even going out of your way to save is worth it because the Alien is so unpredictable.

In one mission you need to find a keycard in the medical quarters. It's a long corridor with rooms on either side and you need to search them all. Unfortunately, the Alien is in the Medical quarters searching for YOU. I was investigating one of the rooms when the motion tracker signalled something was nearby. I checked the tracker and the white dot began to move toward my location at some speed. Quickly, I hid inside a nearby locker just as the Alien entered the room and slowly walked toward me. It stopped and stood there motionless in front of the locker door. Listening. Then it turned away and continued to search the rest of the room before leaving. I was about to get out of the locker when it popped it's head back inside the room, trying to catch me out, before retreating and moving on (for real this time). I waited a minute before finding the courage to check the motion tracker because if the Alien is nearby and it hears the 'ping' of the tracker, it's game over. It will know exactly where you are and if you're in a locker, will rip off the door and kill you in an instant.

So obviously this is only the beginning. I saved my game last night after a tense couple of hours and feel equal parts scared to continue and excited to see what happens next. I can't recommend the game highly enough.

Also, playing this game has actually made the first movie even better for me because I just didn't picture the Alien being so quick and menacing. The next time I watch the movie, I'll see it in a totally different light.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2015 5:10 PM BST

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars inFamous-lite, 10 Aug. 2014
I'm in two minds about inFamous Second Son. I liked it but I guess I was expecting more of a connection to the previous games. Second Son feels more like a reboot than a continuation and while the events in inFamous 1&2 are mentioned once or twice, it's only briefly. I understand that they probably didn't want to alienate newcomers who hadn't played the previous games but as someone who loved the first two games, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with this new direction. For me, it's only a good game, not a great one.

They've simplified the gameplay, condensed the size of the map and narrowed the scope of the story and as a result it all ends up feeling a whole lot less than it's predecessors. Add to that a new protagonist, a new villain, a new city and new powers and it feels like a completely different series.

Some of the series trademarks are still present. You'll clear out groups of enemies to reveal sections of the map. You'll collect blast shards to upgrade your powers/abilities. You'll complete missions for strangers etc etc. Good/evil Karma choices also return but there's no real weight to the decisions you make. You basically just pick all the blue choices on your first playthrough and all the red choices on your second playthough as before. One of the things I hoped Sucker punch would build upon and improve for the new gen inFamous was the Karma choices. Give us difficult, morally ambiguous decisions to make with drastic consequences for either choice. It feels like a missed opportunity given the capabilities of the PS4.

It may seem like I hated Second Son but that's not the case. It's is an incredibly well made, beautiful looking game and has been polished to perfection but it lacks the style and originality that made the first two games stand out from the crowd. Second Son feels a little overcooked, a little safe, a little inFamous-lite and doesn't leave a lasting impression as the previous games did. It isn't a bad game but it's not where I wanted to series to go.

Child of Light Deluxe Edition (PS3 & PS4)
Child of Light Deluxe Edition (PS3 & PS4)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars GAME OF THE YEAR (SO FAR), 11 May 2014
I pretty much bought this game on a whim. I read the glowing professional reviews and checked out a couple of screenshots and decided to take a risk. I'm not a big fan of RPG's or turn based games but this game blew me away. The art style is beautiful, combat is fantastic and I found the overall length to be perfect. If you're even slightly interested in this game, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Every now and again a game like this comes along and surprises you. Highly recommended.

History - Past, Present And Future - Book I
History - Past, Present And Future - Book I

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 28 April 2014
I've always considered myself a big fan of MJ so I'm as much surprised as I am ashamed to admit that I've only just discovered this incredible album. What an amazing collection of songs. DS, Money, Tabloid Junkie and 2 Bad are now up there with my favourite MJ songs of all time. Hearing these songs for the first time, nearly 20 years after their original release, was just as exciting and inspiring as I'm sure it was back then. It proves just how extraordinary he was and how his legacy lives on.

Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console (Black)
Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console (Black)
Offered by Level99Games

5.0 out of 5 stars FOR THE GAMERS, 1 April 2014
There are many reasons why the PS4 is destroying XBO in global sales. Here are just a few:-

Incredible value with PS+.
You get free PS4 games every month with PS+. You get nothing on XBO.
PS+ costs less than XBL Gold.
Basic features such as Netflix/Internet browsing NOT locked behind a paywall, unlike XBO.
You can download any picture off the internet and use it as your Avatar/Theme.
PS4 supports mouse and keyboard. XBO does not.
Playstation Move controllers are compatible with PS4.
Touch pad on PS4 controller.
Nearly all PS3 headsets work on PS4.
Far more Indie support than XBO.
XBO game install times are much longer than on PS4.
XBO takes 17 seconds to boot up to the dashboard. Much longer than PS4.
If XBO gets banned the entire console gets locked down, not just the account.
PS4 controllers are rechargeable. XBO requires a controller add-on (sold separately).
XBO operating systems amount for 140GB of total data, leaving your hard drive with 360GB free space.
XBO does not support surround sound.
XBO does not take voice messages.
On XBO it is harder to join parties than on PS4.
On average PS4 saves more electricity than XBO.
PS4 controller works on a PS3.
Has a transferable hard drive.
More Social/Facebook integration.
Extremely quiet while running.
Occasionally games on Xbox one have huge mandatory install sizes.
Must manually clear cache on XBO.
XBO moderators ban people on twitch, unlike on PS4 where twitch bans players.
Do not need a camera device to use voice commands, simply a headset.
Has a built in microphone on the controller.
XBO games have a lower resolution compared to the PS4 version.
XBO will not work on TVs if they are not HD, PS4 works just fine.
PS4 controller works with XBOX 360
PS4 doesn't have a large external power brick. XBO does.
Far larger variety of first party games than XBO.
Exclusivity deals signed with numerous game developers.
Online games will still be relevant months after release due to unrivalled popularity of PS4.
All cords from older playstation systems work on PS4.
Unlike PS4, XBO will not work without the Day 1 update.
XBO does not support 3D Blu ray.
XBO owners forced to buy Kinect even if they have no intention of using it.
PS4 controller has an advanced light bar which has a variety of uses in games.
Confirmed that Microsoft will sell its video spy recordings of you to hundreds of thousands of companies in an attempt to tailor their ad's towards you.
PS Vita can play almost any PS4 game through remote play.
XBO can not do any type of 3D or virtual reality, unlike PS4.
Allows you to tag real names to people at launch.
Allows you to switch out the main hard drive.
Allows you to use SSD hard drives.
PS4 has 2 motion controller devices as oppose to one on XBO.
Able to stream PS3/PS2/PS1/Vita/PSP/and other PS4 games.
Better selection of movies.
Can upload to YouTube.
Can upload to Facebook.
XBO built largely around advertising.
Indie developers are not allowed to use full system specs when developing games on XBO as oppose to PS4
Even though it is drastically underpowered compared to PS4 as it is. 10% of all system specifications are reserved for Kinect tasks.
Factoring in how Xbox one gives 10% of its resources to Kinect, XBO is officially closer to Wii U in terms of power than PS4.
Playstation app more advanced than XBOX smart glass.
PS4 controller redesigned and developed by shooter studios.
8GB DDR5 RAM.
1.84 TF GPU.
2.6 GH CPU.
Smaller console size.
Far more Japanese support and game variety.
Runs cooler than XBO.
1 more USB 3.0 port than XBO.
Far more trustworthy company.
PS Vita Cross-buy games program.
Cross saves across PS Vita platform and PS4.
PS Vita can be used as controller for several games.
Will NOT spy on you.
PS4 is more powerful than XBO yet it costs less.
Can have more recording time on share button.
2000 friend limit cap.
Far better graphics on nearly all games.
Can be sat down horizontally or vertically.
More TV options.
More PC/Steam integration.
More free 2 play games.
Has Bluetooth unlike XBO.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 5:06 PM BST

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Dude where's my tomb?, 17 Feb. 2014
The original Tomb Raider was the first game I ever played and one of my favourite games of all time. So when I heard that Crystal Dynamics were working on a new Tomb Raider game, I couldn't wait to play it. The game is a reboot which takes the series in a completely new direction and I couldn't be happier with the end result. Crystal Dynamics have done a remarkable job, taking inspiration from the fantastic Uncharted games and building on them to create the best Tomb Raider game in a long time. This Definitive Edition on PS4 is THE version to own and offers just a glimpse of what we can expect in the next instalment.

The story begins with a small group of survivors who are shipwrecked on a mysterious Island after their ship, the Endurance, is torn apart in a violent storm. Unfortunately, being shipwrecked is the least of their worries as the island is home to a group of savage, cold-blooded killers who don't take kindly to outsiders. Lara and the other survivors must go to extreme lengths to stay alive and discover the truth about the Island before it's too late. As the story unfolds, we see Lara transform from an inexperienced, vulnerable girl into a brave and resourceful young woman. It's a gripping, well written tale of survival and like a good book you can't put down, I couldn't stop playing.

The main campaign is a decent length, taking me well over twenty hours to complete on Hard mode. Although I did take my time, finding as many collectables in each area before moving on to the next. I recommend finding the hidden diaries as you progress through the game as they explain the history of the Island and it's inhabitants and flesh out some of the supporting characters who are otherwise a little underdeveloped.

The atmosphere is probably one of the most important aspects of a Tomb Raider game and I'm happy to say, Crystal Dynamics nailed it. The level of detail in the various environments is breathtaking. As you progress from one area to the next it feels completely natural, like you're on a real island with a real history. Nothing feel's out of place. It's clear that a great deal of passion has gone into this project.

The combat is a huge improvement over previous Tomb Raider games and can be approached in a variety of ways. Sneak up on unsuspecting enemies and take them out from behind, pick them off from a distance with your bow and arrow or run in guns blazing, shooting anything that moves. I preferred the stealthy approach because it made the game more challenging but also because you don't last long when you have five or six henchmen firing at you with pinpoint accuracy. Especially on the Harder difficulty.

I did have a few issues with the game. Mainly with that fact that there were no swimming sections. I imagined swimming through submerged sections of the Endurance, or through underwater caves to get from one area to another. This would have been fantastic and added even more variety to the game. I hope they include these elements in the next game. Also, the mini-tombs are a little disappointing because they are far too short and not particularly challenging but they were still a lot of fun to complete. Finding these tombs often meant creeping through dark, narrow passages with only the sound of the wind and the crunch of gravel under your feet. It felt great and very atmospheric.

I haven't tried the Online/Multiplayer features as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. The main campaign alone was worth every penny and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a lengthy and enjoyable single player experience.

The series needed a refresh and this is exactly what I expected and more. If you're expecting an old school Tomb Raider game then you'll likely feel a little disappointed. This is a fast-paced, cinematic adventure and one of the best you'll find.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 2:24 AM BST

ARTPOP
ARTPOP
Offered by Great Price Media EU

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Pretentious Mess, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: ARTPOP (Audio CD)
She should have called this album 'The biggest disappointment of 2013' because it is. I loved The Fame, The Fame Monster and Born This Way but her latest effort is awful. The only good songs on the album are Do What You Want and maybe G.U.Y. (ruined by her goddess speeches at the beginning and end of the song). Everything else is forgettable. I played her earlier albums on repeat for months after their release but ARTPOP lasted two full playthroughs before being retired to the CD drawer never to be played again. Skip it.

Ciara
Ciara

5.0 out of 5 stars She aint playin'., 8 July 2013
This review is from: Ciara (Audio CD)
The first time I heard Body Party I knew this was going to be a great era for CC and damn, Ciara came back with a bang. This is without doubt her best album to date. CC mixes Hip-hop, R&B and Pop together tastefully on an album you can listen to from beginning to end without skipping a single track. Favourites are Sophomore, Body Party, Read My Lips, Where You Go, Super Turnt Up, DUI, Livin It Up and Overdose. Basically all of them. She's not crazy popular here in the UK but I hope this album gets the recognition it deserves.

Page: 1 | 2