Profile for Mrs Alison Shutt > Reviews

Damages - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Glenn Close
Price: 19.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Showcase Glenn Close, 26 Feb 2012
I actually do not own series 1 - 3. I bought series 1 to give it a try because, to be honest, I'm not that crazy about Glenn Close. Having watched episode 1, I thought, oh well, ok a pilot doesn't always say it all and I should give it a try, so I plodded into episode 2 but could not make it to the end.
Glenn Close plays a very high-powered lawyer and I found her smugness throughout intolerable. She sets about hiring a young woman into her very-big-deal law firm, and she doesn't bother to interview her because she "just knows". It is testimony to the fact that I clearly would never make it in the very political atmosphere of US law that I could not, for the life of me, imagine what Close's character saw in her new young hireling. Exam results, possibly, but personality not discernable.(Suspect that La Close was not to be upstaged).
The show's format was confusing. I suppose I'm just not clever enough to be able to tell where the "six months earlier" bit ended and the "and here we are back in the present" bit began.
I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe you will love it. Maybe I went in with a slightly negative expectation. It just doesn't do it for me. Anyone want to buy it cheap? It has English subtitles.

Alison

Third Watch: Complete Second Season [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Third Watch: Complete Second Season [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Coby Bell
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 17.70

5.0 out of 5 stars ....and keep watching for Third Watch 3............, 19 Feb 2012
Bought the first season because the reviews were good, but I had never heard of the programme. It seemed to include plenty of the ingredients that will attract me, AND THAT INCLUDES SUBTITLES FOR THE HARD OF HEARING,so I thought I'd take a chance.
BIG rewards for me. Great drama, brilliant stories, and characters that you very quickly came to care about.
Set in New York, the series, both 1 and 2, were fast-paced and the story lines credible. Relationships between the principles were well focussed and, like real relationships, mutable and reactive.Grittier than ER, with more gravitas than Rescue Me, both of which I have enjoyed, Third Watch has been a real gem.
Series 2 loses nothing in terms of pace, and the stories keep coming, and kept me watching just one more episode.
Try it and, like me, keep watching for Third Watch 3, which remains to be released on DVD.
(Be aware that series 2 is only available in Region 1 format, so you need a player that will cope with that.)

Holby Blue - Series 1 [DVD]
Holby Blue - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cal Macaninch

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly missed it..., 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Holby Blue - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
....but really delighted I caught it on DVD.
When this was televised I'm afraid I was a bit snotty about it. I prejudged it as something that had been manufactured to cash in on the success of Casualty and Holby City, and that it would most likely appeal to a particular audience, i.e., those with tabloid tastes. (I told you I was a bit snotty!)

Anyway a particularly lean weekend inspired me to order it and I was very surprised at this thoughtful and carefully made series. I experienced it as intelligent and thrilling, and was the televisual equivalent of a proper page-turning yarn.

Inevitably, I see there is no series 2. Hey ho.

If you didn't see this, give it a go. Great value. Great series.

Modern Family - Season 1 [DVD]
Modern Family - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ed O'Neill
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 10.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Caricatures of a Modern Family, 8 Feb 2011
If you missed it on TV, watch it on DVD.

And pre-order Series 2 while you're at it!

Yes, they are caricatures - stereotypes, even - but you will love them and their little ways and laugh your socks off.

Modern Family should be required viewing for anyone who ever uttered a judgemental or discriminatory remark. It's witty, acerbic and cuddly all under the one wrapper.

Mighty Bright MiniFlex Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (Black)
Mighty Bright MiniFlex Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (Black)
Price: 15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacing Batteries, 8 Jan 2011
I bought this to go with my Xmas present Kindle. I guess I'm very dense but I cannot see how I will replace the batteries when they run out. There was no written material in the packaging.
The light does the job though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2011 6:47 PM GMT

Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial, Black Leather Strap Watch
Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial, Black Leather Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Obaku by Ingersoll, 31 July 2010
Clean lines simply elegant and understated.

Some may believe that it's minimalism verges on starkness, but the plain white face contrasting with the black features, including meltingly soft leather strap, is extremely attractive to me.

It is described as a "gent's watch," but - what's the female equivalent - "lady"? - as a woman I appreciate this watch for it's clarity and reliability. It is tough, too. The glass is scratchproof - it really is.

If I wanted to change any one fature, it would be to somehow alter the date feature to make it easier to read without disturbing the visual symmetry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2011 8:46 PM GMT