Profile for VonSchnauzer > Reviews

Content by VonSchnauzer

VonSchnauzer (Stockholm)

Poison Study (Study Trilogy)
Poison Study (Study Trilogy)
by Maria V. Snyder

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome writing and common themes, 10 Feb. 2013
I also was drawn to this book by the many good reviews. I had just finished Mistborn (not by this author) and wanted to pick up another good fantasy. And it starts out really good. I know that this might sound snippy but the author uses so many adjectives - in every sentence. Silken smooth this, stark that etc. It's as if the author doesn't believe that the text she writes has any power without them. These are things a reader can fill in for him or herself, there is no need to paint a mental picture - in every sentence. In the end that put a full stop to finishing the book and I probably won't pick up another either. The writing style is supposed to be unnoticeable, in my world.

Story wise - you can read all the other five star reviews, the say it well.

Impulse (Jumper)
Impulse (Jumper)
by Steven Gould

4.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural coming-of-age thriller, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Impulse (Jumper) (Hardcover)
I loved this book - fast paced, fun ideas. A book about a girl and her parents and their ability to jump and what they have to do to protect themselves from the government.

The book is a mix of coming of age, thriller, high school-drama (which I found very fun to read, even though I'm a "grownup"). It's also written in first person which I like. The only negative part of the book is that the girl is good at everything she tries and after a while that gets tiresome but it certainly does not make it less enjoyable.

Highly enjoyable, good enough characters and very good settings and feeling.

Starfish (Rifters Trilogy)
Starfish (Rifters Trilogy)
by Peter Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read, 27 Feb. 2010
I've read over a thousand books, many of them sci-fi. I don't remember most of them but I'll never forget this one. The author creates a terrific feeling in the book with good characters and milieu. The most important aspects in a good book are just character depictions and good tension, not necessarily plot but I think this book had all of it. Highly recommended alongside Vernor Vinge's works.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
by Trudi Canavan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not since Magician by R. E. Feist, 4 Dec. 2007
have I picked up a fantasy book that have turned my night around so. Yes, the author pushes some buttons but there is something powerful in reading about someone coming to power. Great read. Read all three in under five days.

Philips HDD6320 30GB Digital Audio Player
Philips HDD6320 30GB Digital Audio Player

1.0 out of 5 stars What about camera - player compatability?, 3 Mar. 2006
40 reviews and only one that actually comes near addressing camera - player issues, such as using this as a tank station for the camera on the trip.
Anyone please?
As an Mp3 player, it seems ok. But face it - there are 100's of players out there but not very many of them have the ability of connecting directly with the camera.