Profile for Midge > Reviews

How Much Does your Building Weigh, Mr Foster? [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Norberto Lopez
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 16 Jun 2012
Really enjoyed this - an engaging and interesting portrait of the man himself, what drives him, and a selection of the practice achievements.

Thumbs Up UK Shake N Wake Silent Alarm Clock
Thumbs Up UK Shake N Wake Silent Alarm Clock
Offered by Dragonfly Optical
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for my specific purpose, 21 April 2012
Normally I can pick an item like this up and make sense of it without a manual. Not so in this case so keep hold of the leaflet if you don't use it often, as it isn't very intuitive to set.

I also concur with other reviewers on the vibrate which is far from quiet, and is likely to wake up a partner too. The beep mode is a pathetic little thing which is unlikely to wake anyone but the lightest sleeper.

However, I bought it for a specific purpose which was to wake me up if I find myself having to resort to foam ear plugs to get a good nights kip - as I've had to from time to time in noisy hotel rooms, or where people's car/house alarm keeps going off. It's good for that purpose, and useful that it takes a AAA battery.

TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
Offered by DST (UK) LTD Established 1999
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking product!, 25 Oct 2011
Really pleased with my Truecall unit.

I'm not new to the concept of what this sort of product does - I've been running a white-list based anti-SPAM e-mail product (Digiportal's Choicemail) for many years and not one bit of SPAM ever gets past it, so there no question this approach is the ultimate pest deterrent. What prompted me to do the same for my phone was a combination of the following:

*Homeworking (telemarketing calls are exceptionally annoying when you're trying to work)
*A lot of wrong numbers for businesses which are a digit or two adrift of mine
*Increased number of overseas telemarketing and scam calls (being TPS registered makes no difference to these) and getting a bit bored with winding them up

Pros:

*Up and running literally within a couple of minutes
*Flexible and configurable
*I like the web interface to manage the "zap and star lists" and product configuration

Cons:

*If they are going to charge 15 (ouch!) for subsequent years usage of the web interface, I think they can afford to throw in extended warranty on the hardware
*Agree with other reports regarding the unit sound quality being slightly iffy - though this doesn't affect your call quality so I'm happy to live with that
*It isn't cheap but I value my privacy which makes it good value
*I had to re-arrange my phones so my only wired phone, and my cordless base unit, are both plugged into it on doubler - minor issue but worth bearing in mind if you have a fully wired phone setup

Now the phone is sorted, I'm off to buy a sign to get rid of the pests at my front door!

Foster + Partners: Catalogue
Foster + Partners: Catalogue
by Norman Foster
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the title!, 10 Oct 2010
I confess I was never that enthusiastic about modern architecture - until I saw the Top Gear "super cars do France" episode which ended at the truly jaw droppingly beautiful Millau Viaduct. Keen to find out who had dreamed up such an epic structure, I found myself looking in more detail at the work of Foster and Partners, and finding that there were many iconic buildings by them I'd seen without realising who the architect was.

OK so it isn't a cheap book, and simply calling it a "catalogue" doesn't exactly do it justice, but the catalogue is a great way of appreciating the variety of interesting and thought provoking work the practice has undertaken. Packed full of photos, commentary, concept sketches etc.

Its very much project focused, so there is only a little bit about Norman Foster and the practice, so I guess you'll need to buy one of Norman Foster's books to find out more about the man himself.

So bearing in mind it directly contributed to me finally getting what modern architecture was all about, it was a very good buy for me.