Profile for Miss Carol A Holmes > Reviews

Content by Miss Carol A H...

Miss Carol A Holmes (Bury)

Page: 1 | 2
LCD/LED/Plasma Black Glass TV Stand with TV Mount 32" - 52"
LCD/LED/Plasma Black Glass TV Stand with TV Mount 32" - 52"
Offered by pklleisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, good quality and looks stunning, 23 Dec. 2012
The picture doesn't do this stand justice, it is absolutely beautiful. I bought it for a 51" plasma and it fits perfectly. Fairly time-consuming to build, but instructions are quite well-detailed and I managed without too much trouble. Needed help for a couple of steps but managed most of it on my own.

On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the saddest and most beautiful book I've ever read, 12 Dec. 2012
I'd a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, up til now my favourite book has been 'Day of the Triffids'. I like the survivalist element (though do not engage in such myself) and recreation of civilisation.

This differs in that it is no survival novel, rather it tells the story of the last days of man. A world war two years before has devastated the whole world with nuclear radiation travelling in the atmosphere and working its way to the Southern hemisphere. We are introduced to a young family, a US navy captain, a young woman who is fond of alcohol and her cousin. They each have different coping mechanisms with how they deal with their eventual demise. Notably it is mostly with dignity and acceptance.

Yes, some of the dialogue is stilted, I put this down to its era and I don't care for the way one character refers to his child as 'it', but these are minor quibbles in what is otherwise a masterpiece. I have never been left so heart-wrenched as when reading this book. Several passages left me in tears as I read and hours after having finished it I find myself in floods of emotional tatters thinking of certain scenes. Parts are quite harrowing yet I feel more human for having read it.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the writing, hated the story - possible spoilers ahead., 6 Dec. 2012
The most apalling introduction. Ever. Virtually gives away every significant event in the book including the end. I urge you not to read it.

The book itself...very mixed feelings about it. It is one I lay awake til 4 or 5 in the morning because I wanted to know what happened next, it is written in such a way it's almost impossible to put down but many of the plotlines simply don't ring true.

The men are driven to desperate murderous measures within hours of learning they may have to live on potatoes, women are depicted as meek, acquiescent, weak and thick. To the point that a teenage girl whose parents have just been murdered in cold blood happily joins the merry band and is 'taken' as a wife by one of them. The fact that all this is supposedly in a nation that merely a decade before had lived through rationing, blackouts and potential bombing for seven years just doesn't ring true.

My first thoughts as the plotline is given away in the introduction was 'that's a bit rich' when it is clear the protagonist is heading for his brother's farm. This was dismissed when, a little way into the book it is revealed that he was, after all invited...but when he starts adding to his motley collection and turns up with nearly 40 people, I found myself rolling my eyes.

Not a book I'll ever bother reading again. This has been compared to Day of the Triffids - it is not a (cabbage) patch on that novel.

Lacor-66802-HALF-SPHERES 6 MOULDS (1)
Lacor-66802-HALF-SPHERES 6 MOULDS (1)
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to anyone's baking tray collection, 21 Nov. 2012
Ordered these with a view to making the aforementioned teacakes (recipe on bbc website for anyone interested!) so far haven't managed that, but have made sponge cakes with them. Produced perfect little half spheres with a smooth surfaced even bake (later decorated as angry birds) but I did lightly grease the insides. I found using one egg to 2oz/50g each of self-raising flour,margarine and sugar was sufficient quantity for one set of six cakes.

Well made and sturdy they wash perfectly well in a dishwasher and store brilliantly as you can fold them over into themselves.

The reason these in particular are so expensive - they simply aren't that common. Not available in any high street stores I tried, whereas variants of muffin moulds are available in most pound shops these days.

The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2
The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 10 Nov. 2012
First of all I'd like to get this out of the way. The Passage is one of my favourite ever books, it deserved its comparisons to the Stand, and in my opinion was the better novel. I liked the change in pace, the variation of style, I adored it and appreciated being introduced to the word 'subsumed'. I felt I travelled that journey with them, didn't want it to end. And I really looked forward to continuing the saga with The Twelve.

It starts well, you get involved with the characters, from Last Stand in Denver to the school bus, you're quickly drawn into the story, the survivors and look forward to at least finding out their eventual fate...except you don't. Not really. A whole bus load of passengers disappears into obscurity. (or does it? I found myself beyond caring)

The switch to post virus starts with a picnic that turns to disaster, then we have half to three quarters of a book with not a lot happening. I can barely remember the details of what did and frankly want to forget. It does get going somewhat later on, some details had me puzzled, but I put that down to trying to get through the boring parts as fast as possible and not picking up everything. The last few chapters were quite gripping - some bits made me feel quite emotional but they were no means enough payback for the dull rubbish that had preceded.

In short; overlong, could use a touch of editing and apparently owes some inspiration to Harry Potter. And the few good bits are what elevated it to a two star.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 11:55 AM GMT

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Bk 3
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Bk 3
by Morton Manus

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfred's Greatest Hits - Level 3, 5 Mar. 2011
In their wisdom Amazon have confused the reviews for LEVEL 1 & LEVEL 3. They're duplicated for both levels. This is a listing for LEVEL 3 of the series with the following songs:

Blue Bayou

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

Written in the Stars

Y.M.C.A.

You'll Be in My Heart

(I'll just point out here that I haven't yet got this copy, but I have the two earlier levels and they are ideal to use with the Alfred's all in one series)

The songs progress in difficulty throughout the book and have the page number to correspond with both the Alfred's and Alfred's all-in-one course.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2011 8:54 PM BST

My Fitness Coach: Dance Workout (Wii)
My Fitness Coach: Dance Workout (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and gets you fitter!, 29 Aug. 2010
It's the third game from the 'fitness coach' range I've got, they are all very different and serve different purposes - this probably has the widest range of appeal. And by far the best soundtrack. To use it you'll ideally have two wii-motes.

First off you create your own profile and choose your personal trainer (Helllooooo Carlos!) give some of your stats and they create a personalised workout. Initially they're short, just 7 minutes or so but you have the option to do a quick workout after. It will tell you approximately how many calories you've burned during your session (and give an example of what food that equates to, for example I've burnt off a pile of breakfast pancakes today)

If you don't want to do a personal trainer workout you have the option of a 'quick workout' 'two player' and 'my workout' the latter is were you design a range of exercises for yourself.

There are four tabs of exercise you have to choose from; Latin dance, minigames, cardio boxing and warm-up/cool-down.

When you click on the latin dance tab you're given a range of workouts you can do, if you go straight into them it's quick complicated to follow but there is an option to view the workout in steps from different angles - very useful since you can work through it at your own pace before doing the actual. I have very little co-ordination so sometimes find the steps quite difficult to follow but when you grasp it it's very satisfying. I imagine it's a lot easier if you have any dance experience but will get easier over time - it does require effort to learn which I think adds to longevity for a game.

The boxing is great fun once you get the hang of it, my favourite so far is 'Jai-ho' in the more advanced section but it starts off with easier routines.

The mini-games take some mastering, my 8-year old got off to a great start with all of them whereas I couldn't figure out how to avoid the bull in the Matador game, but I'm getting there. Again it's practise.

Overall I'd say it's a brilliant game for its target market, spend half an hour on it and you'll feel you've had a workout, and want to go back for more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2011 9:27 AM BST

Children's Step-by-Step Cookbook
Children's Step-by-Step Cookbook
by Angela Wilkes

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Introduction to cooking, 15 Jun. 2009
I have this book, along with another 'Quick and Easy Cookbook' by the same author - Angela Wilkes. As an experienced cook and owner of several other recipe books, I find it is one I refer to over and over again.

Plenty of standard recipes, set out logically with plenty of photographs and clear instructions - I can't fault it. There's plenty of emphasis on basic skills and hygiene, a glossary at the back to explain some of the more technical aspects of cookery and the pages are set out to show you exactly what equipment you need to prepare and cook that particular recipe.

A cookery book to be enjoyed by ages from 5 to 105 in my opinion!

Nintendo Wii Nunchuk Controller add-on (Wii) DUO-FX CONTROLLER
Nintendo Wii Nunchuk Controller add-on (Wii) DUO-FX CONTROLLER

5.0 out of 5 stars Generic controller, 1 April 2009
This is a far cheaper version of the nunchuck controller for the Wii, it works exactly as the original and I recommend it

It does exactly what it say on the generic plastic and cardboard packaging!

My Fitness Coach - Get In Shape (Wii)
My Fitness Coach - Get In Shape (Wii)
Offered by Tracymuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Like having an aerobics class in your living room, 1 April 2009
First thoughts; It's like having an exercise dvd that you've produced yourself. Nice interactive profile set-up, fairly inoffensive music in the background and a trainer who will cheer you on.

Best things are that you can tailor that day's workout to focus on a particular area, upper body/cardio/flexibility etc and set a particular time limit - you may only have a spare 15 minutes. It'll allocate a quick workout with some warm-up, bit of muscle working and a stretch at the end. It will ask you at intervals if you're working hard or struggling and will alter the intensity for next time.

Worst things are that it is slightly repetitive - I know there is only so much you can get in one dvd but grapevine, double step and kick are fairly limiting in a 45 minute session. I'm glad I know other moves to vary my workout.

And comparisons to the wii fit aren't really fair - I have both and find them highly complementary, this is a more serious fitness 'game' - it really is like being in a proper aerobics class, the wiifit is far more family orientated and emphasis is put on playing a game rather than getting fit.

Update 27/04/09:
After a month or so of using this I'm really impressed. As you progress you unlock more exercises, locations and music. So the criticism of being repetitive is less applicable.

Page: 1 | 2