Profile for Ms Victoria Summers > Reviews

Content by Ms Victoria Su...

Ms Victoria Summers "Toriaoxford" (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung SM-R380 Gear 2 - Gold/Brown
Samsung SM-R380 Gear 2 - Gold/Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Sent a German watch so couldn't set up!!, 16 Sep 2014
Yuuuuuuuuuuk, what more can I say! It may be OK for chaps but for girlies, I think it's far too masculine (and I'm not a frilly dress kinda girl anyway!). Apart from that, the one I was sent was German (NOTHING wrong with that before anyone jumps down my throat) - I simply mean, I do not know the language so couldn't set the watch up as it was all in German and also, the wall charger was a European charger - no good for the UK! I'm sure folk will tell me that there was another way of setting the watch up thereby side-stepping the language issue but that's not really the point I'm getting at. MIFFED! Therefore, sent back - DISAPPOINTED with Amazon for sending a European watch to a UK customer - pull your socks up chaps!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2014 3:01 PM GMT

Samsung Galaxy S5 SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue
Samsung Galaxy S5 SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue
Offered by Get Connected!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure it's wonderful but mine's clearly badly faulty, 4 July 2014
Hmmm, where to begin?! It's a beautiful looking handset but that's where the luuuurrrve finishes for me I'm afraid and I will explain why.

1. Constantly dropping Wi-Fi signal despite other devices working fine in my house. Have tried resetting phone (NOT restoring from backup) and checking all settings, taking battery out, SIM card out, restarting – no joy.

2. Handset getting very hot after short phone calls and giving me ear/headache and the feeling of electric shock!

3. Most alarming, when speaking on the phone, when person on the other end speaks, you get a loud ‘sparking’ kind of sound and it feels as though the handset is producing little electric pulses/shocks if you put your hand near the speaker. This cannot be right and perhaps explains the reason for the handset getting so hot!

4. Mine was only the 16gb version but of course you can increase the memory easily with a micro SD card

I should point out that I did check for software/firmware updates and that was all already in place. Therefore, I really consider this handset to be faulty and, more importantly, dangerous to its user! I may have just been unlucky but have read similar stories on the web - and I hasten to add, this was not bought from the folk at Amazon but on a contract so I am, thankfully, able to return it for another phone! I'm sure without these problems it's a fantastic phone - the positives are:-

1. Fingerprint reader - works well when you get used to it
2. Water/dust resistant
3. Stunning vivid colours
4. Light and comfortable to hold in the hand
5. Camera seems to work well though it was not really bought for this purpose so haven't put it through its paces

I wouldn't NOT recommend this phone, I think/hope I've just been unlucky.

Samsung Galaxy SIII Sim Free Smartphone - Marble White (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Enterprise Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab phone, far better than the 'fruity' phone!, 27 July 2012
I felt I just HAD to change my review of this handset! I'd originally said that I hated it but I've had more of a chance to get used to it and it's growing on me - unfortunately I'd returned mine to Amazon a few days ago so had to re-source one!! It is far far better than the 'fruity' phone that costs more but offers less and is so outdated and small. The screen on the SGIII is beautiful and the colours really pop - have to say they're better, IMHO than on the blue version of the phone. Having fun playing with it today and haven't had any problems with crashes or anything.

I did initially have a problem setting up an Exchange email account (it would let me add another one) until I discovered that in my Exchange account, I still had other phones set up and you're only allowed 10 - at least, on my work server so I removed some outdated handsets and all is perfect now!!

Buy one of these beauties - you won't be disappointed. Makes the fruity phone look like a kiddies toy!! I've only given 4 stars SIMPLY because NO handset is perfect - there's always room for improvement in all technology - but she is gorgeous!!
Comment Comments (29) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2012 12:45 PM BST

Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with HRM
Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with HRM
Offered by London Photo

1.0 out of 5 stars Pile of steaming pants!, 6 Jun 2012
I've had this for a few hours only and already it is showing bad errors! I set it up following the instructions to the letter - charged it fully, put in my personal information and off I went. Oh dear!!! The moment I started jogging, having set up the required parameters, it kept going into 'paused'. I don't know whether it's because the bezel is just too sensitive (despite having locked it, or so I thought), it does not calculate your heart rate or calories - presumably because it keeps going into 'pause' mode!! Very frustrating. It also constantly shows 'charging' when plugged into the mains despite it being 100% charged and also when plugged into the PC when trying to update the device software - I thought that might solve the problems but oh no, how silly can one be. This is going back to Amazon quick smart, never to darken my doorstep again!!! If I could give this item 0 or -10 stars, I would!!

Samsung I9250 Galaxy Nexus Sim Free Mobile Phone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Samsung I9250 Galaxy Nexus Sim Free Mobile Phone (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetically beautiful but ...., 13 Mar 2012
..... it just feels too fragile and the back cover is very flimsy and a pain to get on and off. The battery life is dismal and the volume very low despite being on full whack. Speaker phone hard to hear because of the low volume.

On the plus side, ICS is a very polished operating system. The swype keypad and talk to type is fab, as is the face unlock, though the latter is more of a gimmick than anything else.

The apps (or lack of them for ICS) is rather disappointing but I'm sure they'll increase in number.

I'm afraid this is going back as it simply feels too fragile and I fear would break with the smallest bump. My existing HTC Desire HD is far superior in terms of build quality but I may consider the Samsung Galaxy as an alternative. Sorry chaps!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2012 10:08 PM BST

Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Digital Camera - (10MP, 30x Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tilting LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disapointed!, 30 Jun 2010
I had this camera for a week or so and initially really liked it. However, after a while of holding it, I found it very heavy (perhaps that's just me being a weed or because I have an old broken right arm injury!). The quality of photographs taken is very good, even when you blow them up. However, the 'motion remover' is next to useless! This is probably more of a gimmick but was the main feature that attracted me to it and encouraged me to buy it! However, it does not completely remove moving objects but leaves what looks like a paint smudge in most pictures! The panorama shooting I don't know about because I couldn't get it to work despite it just being a question of selecting the right mode on the dial and then telling the camera in which direction you are going!

I do like the fact that it runs on AA batteries as this means there is a good place to securely hold the camera and you will never have to rely on rechargeable batteries when you're out and about and away from a wall-charger 'cause you can get AA batteries pretty much anywhere! The tilting screen is good too and that zoom is faaaaaaaaaaaaantastic! However, at the furthest end (at full zoom), I really think you need a tripod in order to keep the camera steady as I found it becomes slightly unbalanced - or perhaps that's me that's unbalanced!!

I wouldn't NOT recommend this camera but personally I found it a little too heavy and bulky for my use - not something you can pop into your shirt pocket and whip out in an instant - although I knew that at point of ordering before anyone accuses me of being stupid :-)))). Of course, sods law, I returned it and now find that my father wants one! Should have kept hold of it and given it to him - guess I'll just have to order a replacement if the nice chaps at Amazon allow me to do this? :->>
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2010 3:41 PM BST

Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)
Apple iPad Tablet 1st Generation (WiFi, 16 GB)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect :-)), 27 Jun 2010
I treated myself to this yesterday having ummed and arred for a while! Initially I thought, what is the point of it, it is just like a larger iPhone/iTouch as many others have said! However, until you get your hot sticky little paws on it, you're not going to appreciate what it's really like and you simply cannot make a decision from 'playing with one' in a local store!

It operates as an 'internet tablet' and guess what, it is GREAT AT WHAT IT IS MEANT TO DO, i.e. surf the web, email, photos, music etc... on the go! Oh, and by the way, for those that think you cannot watch BBC iPlayer on it, think again - you CAN, albeit via the web interface! It is NOT meant to be a replacement for your laptop/desktop, rather than as a compliment to it. Just think, instead of lugging your fat and ugly netbook or laptop with you out and about in order to check messages, take the much slimmer, sexier iPad and use that to check your emails and surf the web. So many places now have free wifi access (if you don't have the 3G version). You CAN look at/edit Word documents using Pages or something similar - what more do you want? OK, so you can't, at this time, multitask which is a little annoying but when the OS upgrade comes out, I'm sure we will be able to. So you can't take photos with it or make a phone call - so buy a phone and camera that can! This is NOT MEANT TO BE A CAMERA PHONE so don't think of it as such and you will be thrilled with what this beautiful piece of technology can do. And no, I'm not an Apple 'fanboy' at all, I just think you get what you pay for, i.e. a class product!

I think a lot of people 'out there' who are complaining about the iPad and what it cannot do are just focusing on that, rather than taking into account the things that it CAN DO. I think quite a lot of reviews on the web are also from people who have either not got the iPad or are envious of those that have and try to make excuses rather than say they cannot afford one!

The only reason for giving this 4 stars is simply that no product is perfect, although this is very nearly there! I love mine but when you get yours, make sure you get a good protective sleeve and possibly a screen protector to protect your gorgeous new 'baby'. Loving mine and you'd have to prize my fingers apart for me to part with it :-))))
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2010 8:29 PM BST

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars In two minds at the moment!, 27 Jun 2010
I have had this for a couple of days and took the opportunity today of taking some snapshots around the centre of Oxford and then take the same shots with my existing Fuji F50FD. On reviewing the photos now that I am home, I find that they are rather disappointing on the Panny compared to my existing camera (the Fuji) which is basically the same spec (12mp and 12 x zoom). There seems to be a lot of what I assume is 'lens flare' as pointed out by another reviewer - that is to say, if this means there is like a white 'line' around objects in my pictures, i.e. statues, buildings etc... It is very sunny and hot today but I didn't experience the same with my Fuji. I used both cameras with their respective 'Intelligent auto' on the Panny and 'Auto' on the Fuji and had very different results - better on the Fuji in my opinion!

Also, whilst I appreciate that the GPS tagging is really more of a gimmick than anything to be relied on for complete accuracy, it really didn't give you an accurate position at all and in fact the camera 'thought' that, for example, the Museum of the History of Science on Broad Street in Oxford was also in High Street and Cornmarket Street - the tagging just didn't seem to 'keep up' and this was one of the main reasons for buying this camera! Perhaps I should have been more realistic about this, although SatNavs manage it so why can't a camera!? Also, as previously pointed out (and obvious), when GPS is switched on, the battery does drain incredibly quickly.

I am in two minds as to whether to keep this camera. Any feedback and/or comments gratefully received!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2010 10:35 PM BST

Toshiba NB200-125 Mini Laptop (10.1 inch screen, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Intel Atom Processor N280, 9 Hour Battery Life)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful notebook but mousepad too sensitive, 6 Jan 2010
This is a lovely little notebook and the only reason for 4 stars is that the mousepad is too sensitive, despite making changes to the sensitivity! Also, as other reviewers have reported, the sound is appalling, very tiny and quiet but then this is no replacement for a laptop - notebooks are not designed to be as such. This sounds like a petty gripe but when you're typing anything, it gets very frustrating when the mouse cursor suddenly moves somewhere else so your text is completely nonsensical! Needless to say, I'm not typing this review on it! I do like this notebook a lot but if I can't do anything about the mousepad, it will have to go back as I can see that that will drive me insane! I have read other reviewers comments that have basically said the same and yes, I've tried updating the mousepad drivers too and this doesn't make any difference. I believe that Toshiba are aware of this problem and some people are saying that it might have something to do with the hard-disc 'protection feature' - i.e., if you move the notebook whilst it's on your lap whilst typing, the machine will detect movement and halt the hard-drive!

As I'm currently snowed in, I can't really do much about this 'baby' but next week when the weather is clearer, I may have to consider returning it, though whether this would fall under a 'faulty' return, I don't know - presumably if it's a manufacturing fault, then it should be but I will take guidance from the chaps at Amazon.

I wouldn't not recommend this notebook - it is beautiful to look at, feels sturdy (more so than some other flimsier computers I've seen, namely HP, Samsung, Asus etc...). I would get an external mouse but that wouldn't work whilst typing on your lap so kind of defeats the object of it!

Thanks for reading,

Toria
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2010 10:01 AM GMT

HP Mini 110-1115SA Black 10.1-inch Netbook (Windows 7 Starter, Intel Atom Processor N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive, Wireless, Bluetooth, 6 Cell Battery up to 6 Hours Life)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much like a kiddies toy!, 14 Dec 2009
Whilst this is, on paper, a good little laptop, it just feels too cheap and childlike to me (and by that I mean it feels like a child's toy)! The one I bought, admittedly not from Amazon, is the 250gb version and came with quite a few extra 'goodies' but I just can't get on with it. It comes pre-installed with Windows 7 Starter which as you may know is very restrictive in terms of customization! For example, you cannot change the desktop background - OK, so that's no biggy but when you're stuck with the MS logo, it gets rather boring and is not very 'pretty'. Also, the screen on this one is not brilliant - it's not glossy, which is a good thing, but the colours are not very good and the sound is terrible, though I appreciate that a netbook will not measure up to a full-sized laptop as they are not designed to do so - more to just take out and about with you for surfing and doing the odd email or three!

The keyboard is OK but oh, that trackpad is abysmal! It has the left and right click keys on, ...... you've guessed it, the left and right of the track pad which you may think is a good idea but it's not as it takes a contortionist to make selections - perhaps that's just me though. There is a 'scroll' function on the track pad (next to the right click key) which is very responsive, perhaps too much so!

The one good thing about this 'toy' is that the battery life is meant to be excellent - up to 6 hours with the 6-cell battery, though the downside of this is that the battery pack sticks out, well down really, though that acts as good 'elevation' so that air can circulate around the netbook, thereby keeping it cool.

Luckily I bought this from an equally reputable company as Amazon that offers a 30-day money back, no quibble guarantee so this baby is being returned and I will have a hunt around Amazon to find an alternative. Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully received!!!

Best regards,

Toria
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2010 11:10 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2