Profile for Maxim Davies > Reviews

Content by Maxim Davies

Maxim Davies (Oxfordshire, UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, handy and incredibly cost-efficient, 25 Jun 2011
I admit that I, like so many, was reluctant to succumb to what I believed to be the death of the beauty of literature. I didn't understand how we could retain the prose of Shakespeare or the lyricism of Wordsworth if not in the form in which it was composed - the written word.

However, if you too hold this view, I urge you to let it go and allow yourself to understand that it is not the page on which the words are written which is important but the words themselves. I'm not going to claim that the Kindle makes books better, but rather that they are made cheaper and more easily accessible.

First, it must be said that it really is true: the contrast is so good, it really is easy to forget that you are looking at a screen and not a page. The text is easily made out even at the smallest font size (which is adjustable, by the way). There are many reasons to love the Kindle such as the brilliantly speedy page turns, the slim, compact design and the way that it really does read just like a real book. While there are flaws, such as the shoddy 'text-to-speech' feature and the rather rubbish web browser, these problems are being continually solved by the good folks at Amazon and will be fixed by online updates to the software in the future.

Also, I have nothing but praise for the Kindle Store. Easily accessed from the kindle itself or on the Amazon website, it provides cheap (and occasionally free), excellent books. No stone in the vast world of literature is left unturned by Amazon, and there is no book which I have wanted to read which has not been available to me within seconds.

It's very small which makes it easy to take with me wherever I go and, with a wide range of covers and cases available, I can always rest assured it is safe.

Finally, though there will still be many who are unconvinced that the Kindle really is a wonderful, more practical solution to the traditional paperback, I hope that there are those amongst you who will be happy to accept the Kindle and really appreciate what a feat of design it is. I remain in constant, unfaltering awe of this astonishing product.

All Eternals Deck
All Eternals Deck

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 20 April 2011
This review is from: All Eternals Deck (MP3 Download)
I've been a Mountain Goats fan for about 2 years now. I thought that after the last album, 'The Life of the World to Come' (which, by the way, is unbelievable), Darnielle had finally peaked. This new album goes above and beyond. Instantly memorable songs, beautiful lyrics. I think that, as an overall album, it's the best album this band has ever produced. It doesn't have as many extraordinary wonders as 'The Sunset Tree', but it's somehow more touching, more understated and subtle. It also includes the best song they've ever produced, 'High Hawk Season'. The wonderful harmonies, the phenomenal lyrics. Just buy the damn album!

Smart Flesh
Smart Flesh

5.0 out of 5 stars Just persist with it!, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: Smart Flesh (Audio CD)
After the majesty of this album's predecessor, Oh My God Charlie Darwin, it was difficult on first listen to even give this a chance of matching said album's brilliance. Indeed, on the first few listens, I was disappointed by the lack of distinctive moments.

However, I left it a few days and then listened to it again. I was blown away! This is a beautifully poignant, melancholic but also often uplifting album. The lyrics are unbelievable. The sound is so distant and low-fi that at times it almost sounds ethereal, and this just adds to the atmosphere. That is where you should recognise this album's beauty - the atmosphere. Listen all the way through a few times and after the 2nd of 3rd listen, you will get it. Every song is amazing. Just buy it now.

RECORD BOX / (ALUMINIUM) HOLDS 50
RECORD BOX / (ALUMINIUM) HOLDS 50
Price: 37.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as big as it says, 5 April 2010
First of all, I have to say that this record case is fantastic. Simple, well-sized and sturdy. It's lockable with a key aswell, a feature that pleasantly surprised me. However, according to the title, it holds 50 12" LPs. This is not the case. Even when I just stocked it with my thinner records, it only held about 35-40. Unless you want to smash all your records, don't try and fit 50 in this case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2010 12:54 PM GMT

Digital Ash In A Digital Urn [VINYL]
Digital Ash In A Digital Urn [VINYL]
Price: 15.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative but familiar, 11 Feb 2010
Really beautiful album. Every one of Bright Eyes' albums is a classic in my view, but this one really seems to have a more delicate feel, not only in the music but also in the amazing lyrics. Buy it- essential album!

Wooden Retro Turntable 3 Speed AM/FM Radio CD and Cassette Player - (Beech)
Wooden Retro Turntable 3 Speed AM/FM Radio CD and Cassette Player - (Beech)
Offered by Dealstation
Price: 199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate music player, 11 Feb 2010
I am yet to use the cassette function of this product but, so far, it is one of my best amazon purchases. plays smoothly and has a surprisingly loud speaker. It is definitely not tinny and it plays every cd and record I own with amazing quality. Really, if you are considering this, stop hesitating- BUY IT!