Profile for Baroque Babe > Reviews

Elbesee Embroidery & Tapestry Frame Nut Tightener Twizzler
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Buying!, 10 Aug 2014
This is a neat little device to prevent sore thumb and index finger knuckle from tightening the wing nuts on your tapestry frame. It's a comfortable option at a fair price, and post and packing costs were reasonable too. Delivered from a well-established supplier of crafting equipment.

Early Learning Centre - Baby Shade Pool - Crab
Early Learning Centre - Baby Shade Pool - Crab
Offered by Retail-ABC Ltd
Price: 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Henry!, 17 July 2014
Lovely first paddling pool with cushioned base and separate inflation point for the surround which is marked with a Maximum Fill Line in case you're not sure just how far to go, although about 3 inches was enough for a little man still unsure of his footing. The sunshade is easy to put in place too and really came into its own today when it was all assembled for a sizzling hot first birthday outing and gently swivelled round to protect my toddler grandson as the sun moved across the sky. Well packaged and good friendly comms with the seller when I thought it might have gone missing (GPO took their time) so a very happy purchase. Was extremely tempted to get in there with him after he'd dropped his ice lolly inside my T-shirt......

Best Greek Songs
Best Greek Songs
Price: 6.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Each to his Own, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Best Greek Songs (Audio CD)
I have no Greek heritage, don't speak the language and know nothing about any of the artists on this disc. I was just looking for something that would make me think of blue sea and glorious sunshine and jolly enough to encourage me to smash the washing up whilst happily flicking a tea towel around. Unfortunately, there are no sample tracks on anything I looked at so I went with the other two reviews and am sorry to say I'm very disappointed.

I can only assume that virtually all the songs (only 2 exceptions before I gave up and ejected it) are about the current dire state of the Greek economy. If I hadn't been in the car for its first playing I would probably have self harmed to one of Leonard Cohen's more fun ditties.

Still, that's me. You might like it!

Franki Baker Moonstone and 925 Sterling Silver Cufflinks. Comes In Presentation Box. Edinburgh Assay Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars They'll Do., 20 Aug 2012
These moonstone and silver cufflinks are an attractive design and solidly made, but the stones don't match very well on the pair I received. One doesn't do anything other than lie there and be white while the other has the true moonstone effect with a hidden blue glow revealed as the light catches it from a different angle. That one is absolutely lovely! It's a real pity more attention was not given when it came to matching the cufflinks, even allowing for the fact that the amount of 'glow' you get differs from stone to stone.

These were bought as a last-ditch idea with a specific birthday in mind and although I hadn't found anything else I liked the look of before placing the order I did find afterwards that visiting the manufacturer's website and ordering direct would have saved enough money ( double digits!) to make me really annoyed. If I had had the luxury of time I would have sent them back. I don't mind paying for convenience but I don't like to feel as if I've been ripped off somehow.

In all fairness, the price issue does work the other way too. I have just been looking at another item which is manufactured by 'Spike' (name changed to protect etc.) and can be purchased through their website. The exact same products are available on Amazon at virtually half the price and supplied by - 'Spike'.

Moral? Time spent in research when buying online is not time wasted!

Compendium of Beading Techniques
Compendium of Beading Techniques
by Jean Power
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Reference Book!, 13 Aug 2012
This book is lovely to look at and is destined to become a firm favourite. When I buy a crafting book I want to see hints, tips, information, photos, diagrams and masses of inspiration. What I usually seem to end up with is a great wodge of text at the beginning of the book detailing the entire world history of the craft (or, worse still, the author) before getting to the nitty-gritty of why I bought it in the first place. This book has very little preamble, apart from what is essential to be able to appreciate what follows, and I was deeply engrossed very quickly.

Rather than projects to tackle it offers clear information and illustrations, dangling in front of you the virtually irresistable temptation to have a go at all the different techniques. This pleased me no end (does anyone actually make those naff slippers, bell pulls and spectacle cases that crop up with nauseating regularity in other books?) but you get all the details you need regarding materials, tools, findings, threads, and suppliers to hopefully set you off on a wildly creative journey of your own.

If you want projects and patterns to follow or a tome on the history of beading then look for something else to cover your needs, but I would really recommend you buy this one too because it will fill in all the gaps the others leave and give you a better understanding of the subject.

There is only one very slight downside - it's a soft-covered volume which I suspect may not entirely stand up to the amount of handling it's going to get from me.

EMARTBUY VODAFONE 527 AND SAGEM MY411X COMPATIBLE IN CAR CHARGER
EMARTBUY VODAFONE 527 AND SAGEM MY411X COMPATIBLE IN CAR CHARGER

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiot-proof!, 10 July 2012
I'm the idiot concerned and am of the generation that has a mobile phone for emergencies only. Because it's virtually never used I constantly forget to plug it in to charge it at home before setting off somewhere in the car. This little piece of brilliance means I shan't ever have to pounce on a stranger putting his bins out again!

Came very quickly after ordering, is simplicity itself and absolutely does the job. Recommended!

Emjoi MICRO Pedi Portable Pedicure Device
Emjoi MICRO Pedi Portable Pedicure Device
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking On Air!, 8 Jun 2012
This is the ultimate dream product for anyone suffering from hard skin on their feet. Because of childhood polio I have always had a heavy build up of hard skin on my heel that is unavoidable and very uncomfortable. I have tried everything over the last 40+ years to deal with it from creams, ointments, rasps, files, softeners under cling film, chiropodist tools, sandpaper and finally Stanley knife blades, but it's been an ongoing battle that I never came close to winning.

Then along comes a TV ad that offers a glimmer of hope, the reviews on Amazon are mostly positive so I decide to risk yet another disappointment. Well, there is no disappointment and only praise for a product that is simplicity itself and totally effective. Instead of hard work I merely rest the roller gently on the area and it gets painlessly filed away. No more pushing, grinding, sanding or slicing for me!

They recommend you work one area for no more than 2 minutes. My hard skin was so bad it actually took me 20 minutes to make any impression, but even after that amount of time there was no discomfort at all. The time element has been greatly reduced since that first session, as you might expect. I don't have normal sensation on my heel so have found that if I stop working on the area as soon as I become aware of the first faint hint of vibration from the roller then I've done enough and am left with smooth soft skin - something new in my life, and very very welcome!!

St. Matthew Passion, Vocal Score (New Novello Choral Editions)
St. Matthew Passion, Vocal Score (New Novello Choral Editions)
by Johann Sebastian Bach
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheet Music Megastore, 15 Mar 2011
Brilliant service! Ordered Saturday, notified it was in the post Monday, on my doorstep Tuesday morning - in time for Choir rehearsal tonight, although I was quite prepared to wait a few more days. I've been using a rented copy up to now which was marked extensively for Baritone (not much use for this Alto) and with the performance looming my frustration was increasing in direct inverse ratio to the dwindling of my rubber. Will definitely use this source again and would highly recommend them.

The Grove Concise Dictionary of Music
The Grove Concise Dictionary of Music
by Sir George Grove

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 29 April 2010
It's all in there and for anyone involved with music, especially teaching, it's an invaluable primary source of information on composers, styles, transposing instruments, ornamentation - even what that third pedal on a grand piano is for!

Think of a question and find the answer. Highly recommended.

Rachmaninov:Piano Concerto No.2
Rachmaninov:Piano Concerto No.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance Revisited, 16 Mar 2010
Bought as a present for my mother who fell in love with this piece after seeing that old weepie Brief Encounter, which had this as the soundtrack. She had it on vinyl so it was good to find it as a CD - without all the scratches!

Page: 1 | 2