Profile for Alan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black
Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned same day, 4 April 2015
Went straight back...barely audible.

Racksoy Professional Adjustable Microphone Fold Mic Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand Holder with Mic Clip Mounting on Desk or Table Top for Studio, Program record, Broadcasting, TV Station, Solo Artist (Black)
Offered by MyArmor

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds a Blue Snowball, 4 April 2015
I got this for use with a Blue Snowball, which I couldn't get close enough with the supplied tripod. I was worried that something so cheap would not hold something so heavy, but I read the other reviews and took a chance. I needn't have worried, this thing is solid.

As others have said, the adapter you need to fit the Snowball is in the supplied mic clip, just unscrew it, and put it in the Snowball's larger hole and you are done.

It isn't as big as I thought. I planned to attach it to the back of the desk, but I ended up fixing it to the side to get the desired position, which was a little annoying, but I can live with it.

All in all, money well spent.

Logitech C920 USB HD Pro Webcam with Auto-Focus and Microphone Black
Logitech C920 USB HD Pro Webcam with Auto-Focus and Microphone Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 April 2015
When planning to produce some online courses, I splashed out on a semi-decent camcorder to do re talking head shots, but I found the messing about popping memory cards out of the cam, and into the PC, them importing the second media into the timeline and syncing it all up (over and over again) a little...cumbersome. Not to mention the real estate a cam tripod (even a small one) takes up your desk.

It was a choice between this and the similarly priced Microsoft one, so I studied the youtube reviews, and this one won out, so I got one.

First thoughts are it's tiny, but beautiful to look at. Despite its size, it still feels really well made. The mount looked a little confusing, but when you put it atop your monitor it becomes obvious how it functions, and works really well. For those who want it, the mount also comes with a standard screw fitting for tripod mounting.

Win 8.1 detected it, and installed the drivers in a minute or so, but I also downloaded the Logitech software from their site to get the tools to to play with resolution and what not. The first thing I noticed was the field of view on this is huge. So much so, that I turned it from 1080, to 720 to avoid recording the whole room. That done, you can then zoom in, pan left and right until you get the perfect head shot...nice.

As this pipes straight into your PC, my screencast software (Camtasia) records the cam simultaneously, so all my sync problems were solved automatically. Problem solved. The recordings appear crisp and clear whatever the lighting conditions, and there is no stutter or judder whatsoever.

The sound is reasonable, but I pipe the audio from a Blue Snowball (which is better).

I know it's pricy, but the quality is great. There is a reason that this is the best selling webcam in the world.

Neewer 5pcs 3.5mm Hands Free Computer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
Neewer 5pcs 3.5mm Hands Free Computer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
Offered by Neewer Global

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't ask for more at this price, 4 April 2015
These are unbelievably cheap. To remove any confusion, there are 5 in the pack for this price. Yes five!

I tried another make (at 6 times the cost), but that went back immediately as it produced barely any sound at all. These, however, do. The sound is quite loud, if a little hissy, but I would imagine you could remove this post production.

Cheap enough not to upset you if you lost one, but good enough for day to day use (with a little post production tinkering).

Well worth it.

Foxnovo® Studio Record Double-layer Microphone Wind Screen Pop Filter Mask Shield with Flexible Holder (Black)
Offered by Uoogifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust your first impressions, 4 April 2015
I got this to use with a Blue Snowball, which I got to produce screencasts. First impressions...it's something you get for £1 from a market stall. Large blue tacky cardboard with a few words in Chinese on it (no English at all), with the device under a moulded plastic sleeve. Hmmm.

However, it feels substantial when you get the thing out, so perhaps it will be quite durable. I fitted it to my boom, and bent the flex in to shape to position it in front of the mic, and tested it out. The results are impressive. Plosives are effectively dealt with, and that is really all you need one for. You will probably work this out, but once you affix the clamp, hold the flex near the clamp with one hand and bend it into shape wit the other (so there is no stress on the clamp itself).

Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone
Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Why spend more, 4 April 2015
I had had the legendary Shure SM58 in my basket for a year waiting for a price drop without luck, when this popped up on amazon recommends. I read the good reviews, and read up on it elsewhere, and took a chance...

I can't compare it to the sm58, but I can tell you the sound from this is beautiful, rich and clear. I use it through a Roland mini cube and it sounds great. It's also cool looking too.

Highly recommended

Blue Microphones Snowball Omnidirectional/Cardioid USB Microphone - White
Blue Microphones Snowball Omnidirectional/Cardioid USB Microphone - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated review., 28 Mar. 2015
I got this for recording audio for online courses. What I didn't realise was that in use this is pretty much the same as a hand held mike...you have to have it very near your mouth to get decent sound levels. This is something you need to be aware of if this is what you want it for.

As I am also recording a video (headshot), it's practical to not have a huge mike in front of your face, so that renders it useless for that purpose. I figured I could use it for audio whilst doing screen capture (not talking head)...also not ideal as if you are using your mouse or keyboard, you still have to have your head down by the mike to get good audio, which is also not ideal. I have ordered a couple of cheap lapel mikes now, and I will be upset if they are great, as they are £5 and this is, well, quite a lot more.

If you are using it purely for narration, the sound quality is awesome, but sadly not much use for anything else.

Update:

Okay, looked at all the youtube reviews of this, and folks were getting great sound out of it, so I splashed out £10 on a boom arm...much much better. I can now position it quite close to my mouth, but still keep it out of shot. I still have to up the gain in Camtasia studio, but the results are good. I just need to learn how to polish the audio with audacity now.

Homescapes Cream Pencil Pleat Blackout Thermal Curtains Pair Width 90 x 54 Inch Drop Herringbone Chevron Textured Retro Geometric Design. FREE SWATCHES.
Offered by HOMESCAPES

4.0 out of 5 stars They are alright, 28 Mar. 2015
Got a pair of these for a super wide window. They are okay (we were curtainless before), but they do look a little uneven at the bottom (but that could be me). They are blackout, and while not total blackout, they do a reasonable job. For the money we paid, we are happy with them.

Wüsthof CLASSIC IKON Paring knife - 4086 / 9 cm
Wüsthof CLASSIC IKON Paring knife - 4086 / 9 cm
Offered by COOKING IS FUN - UK VAT-registered

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little knife, 28 Mar. 2015
I am lucky enough to own a few Wusthofs, and that tells you all you need to know really. This one is perfect for smaller jobs, and will out last me I'm sure. There is a reason the pro's use them. I prefer the IKON range, as they are beautifully balanced, and you can sharpen the entire blade.

If you want a knife to last a lifetime, comfortable to use, and look great, this is the range for you.

BiC Matic Grip Autopencil with 3 x HB 0.7mm Lead Assorted Grips Ref 890284 [Pack of 12]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Doodlers, 28 Mar. 2015
I scribble a lot, so conventional pencils are no good to me. I always liked mechanical pencils, and this looked like a bargain.

Nice to doodle with, comfortable to hold...what more can you ask for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17