Profile for Evan Hendrikse > Reviews

Content by Evan Hendrikse

Evan Hendrikse (Mumbai, India)

Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-farking-tastic 9/10, 5 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Audio CD)
Brilliant album filled with genuinely stunning songs. I can't believe these guys aren't well known.

I saw them live in Shoreditch a few days ago and there were only 60 or so punters at the gig. I spoke to a band member later and he said that more people showed up then they expected! Great bunch of guys too, though I'm not sure whether the lead singer should wear white yachting shoes with no socks.

Buy this.

My other favourite album right now is from Japandroids -- check them out too.

Murder in Samarkand - A British Ambassador's Controversial Defiance of Tyranny in the War on Terror
by Craig Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, brave, exciting, depressing, 25 Mar. 2009
A surprising page-turner from a man of rare integrity. I expected it to be another dark lumbering account of the world's underbelly -- worthy and necessary, yes, entertaining and often exciting, definitely not.

Of course there's no escaping the depressing subject matter. Sigh. It's a shame that the forces in favour of extreme centralisation run this world.

Murray's womanising will be off-putting to many readers, particularly not-so-happily-married wives!

Highly recommended. It's satisfying to know that purchasing Murray's books is a positive vote for a more open and enlightened world.

A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints [2006] [DVD]
A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dianne Wiest
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this film, 20 July 2007
When released this film received mix reviews so I didn't see it at the cinema - a decision I now regret. I thought the DVD was fantastic.

It isn't an easy film to watch having been cut up and spliced together in intricate ways but as a whole I thought it worked extremely well. The editing and direction is innovative and fresh, leading to a dreaminess that is rarely successful in this genre.

I recommend that people give this film a shot.

Lay Of The Land
Lay Of The Land
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Double-folk and Red Bull, 9 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Lay Of The Land (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous reviewer - this is a brilliant album but shame few people seem to know about it.

I bought it when it first came out following a few listens of 'Glitterball' (one of my 10 favourite tracks of 2004).

Amazing mix of high-energy guitars with honest lyrics and haunting violin. Really edgy stuff.

Anyone who liked Bloc Party will kill for a listen of 'AvsCo10'.

I just read that one of the band's influences is Dirty Three - need I say more.

Urban Hymns
Urban Hymns
Offered by Entertainment Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite CD of all time, 6 May 2006
This review is from: Urban Hymns (Audio CD)
I never get bored of this. I can still play it again and again. Over the years, though, 'Weeping Willow' has emerged as the stand out track. In my opinion, no other band has used soaring and overlapping guitars as well.

Within months of buying it back in 1997, I knew it was my favourite album and it remains so to this day. I own well over 1,000 CDs so this is a pretty big claim.