Profile for TC > Reviews

One Newt in a Suit
One Newt in a Suit
by Andrew Weale

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace counting book!, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: One Newt in a Suit (Paperback)
The artwork is so bright and beautiful and goes wonderfully with what's written. The witty poetry, which has a wonderfully memorable rhythm, surprises and makes you laugh out loud on every page. It is both educating and entertaining in an original and clever way. The 'plot' (at the end it arrives at number ten, sorry for the spoiler!) builds up playfully and then ends really sweetly. Kids go crazy for this book!

Hamlet (The Arden Shakespeare, Third Series)
Hamlet (The Arden Shakespeare, Third Series)
by William Shakespeare

3.0 out of 5 stars Introduction wasn't really what I'd wanted, 28 Aug. 2009
I'd been waiting for this edition of Hamlet for years and at the time was quite bummed out that it didn't come out in time for the dissertation I was writing at university on Hamlet. I decided to settle for two other versions: The Arden second edition Hamlet and the Cambridge University Hamlet, which both had really insightful introductions and helped a lot with my research for my dissertation (It was titled "Why does Hamlet Delay?".)

When this version came out I was chuffed. I read the play right through, as I normally do scribbling notes in the margins, and was impressed with the commentary on the text. The choice of particular words from Folio and Quarto versions was really intriguing and well researched too.

The drawback for me came when I then went back to check out the introduction. I was expecting some kind of Bradley-like dissection of the characters when in fact it was more of a stage history of the play. How different actors and directors have tackled difficult aspects of character, staging and so on. The editors make a fair point about this though when they say that in fact this play has already had a fair amount of critical attention (more then any other in the world, I think) and they stick an apology on right at the end for this saying that if they did come up with another theory of Hamlet it would almost certainly be wrong. So in this respect this third edition is quite different to the other Arden third editions that have come out over the past few years. You miss out on some of that definitive Arden Character Analysis that is so well respected and instead you get a much broader view of the play (in my opinion not so helpful to students and anyone who wants to get some real meat and potatoes criticism).

However, on reflection I really came to enjoy this version, but more for leisurely rather than academic reading. The introduction talks a lot about the reception of the play and you get an angle on it that is not as ofter talked about, a historical one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2009 4:20 PM BST