Profile for KenniPod > Reviews

KenniPod (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rucksack, 9 April 2011
I'm just back from hiking in the Lake District and this rucksack was a great day sack, comfortable, the wind tunnel system worked very well, the rain cover was very much appreciated! The pockets are useful, the lacing on the front was initially irritating but came into its own when I had to expand the rucksack to take on more items and strapped into the lacing two bulky jackets. There is a useful inner net pocket and a zipped pocket at the top for more easily accessible items. The construction is what you would expect from Karrimor, strong, sturdy and smart.

I am chuffed that I got such a good quality Karrimor daypack to go with my larger Karrimor rucksack at such an unbelievable bargain price.

There is a slight issue with the belting, but I didn't buckle it up and don't feel justified in marking it down at this price.

AVANTE - Glass CD / DVD Blu-ray / Media Storage Shelves
AVANTE - Glass CD / DVD Blu-ray / Media Storage Shelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect storage, 9 April 2011
This shelf is great, easy to assemble, has clean modern lines and is perfect for storing CDs and DVDs - once the shelves are full you don't see the rods, just the CDs and DVDs `suspended' cleanly. I'm trying to figure where I can place another one in my living room so I can display more of my CDs and DVDs for ease of use. The shelf was also delivered in very good time, so highly recommended.

Ring Cyba-Lite Wind Up Lantern - Green
Ring Cyba-Lite Wind Up Lantern - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 9 April 2011
I'm very pleased with this lamp - it is a sturdy, well designed lamp that retracts away for packing and the matt green finish is quite appealing too. The light emitted has a stripy effect due to the patterning of the lens but this is a small aside and isn't a problem at all and the light is easily bright enough to read by. There are two power settings, the 1st and 2nd press of the `on' switch takes you to bright and brighter, the difference of light intensity between the two is marginal, which I guess is a good thing if the spec. information is correct and you get a good deal more time off the charge. It was also delivered within 3 days, so highly recommended on both counts.

Dead Man's Bones
Dead Man's Bones
Price: 8.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Actor, Great Album!, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Dead Man's Bones (Audio CD)
Dead Man's Bones is weird and funny and sinister and brilliant. I've had it a while and hadn't got around to writing a review so here it is. I was curious because I'm a fan of Ryan Gosling `the actor', and I saw and loved the Youtube videos of the bands' live gigs. And what a nice guy Ryan is. How to describe this album . . . it has a kind of 50s/60s zombie B movie vibe, a Mexican Day of the Dead carnival of characters, mostly undead, and a querky school choir doing backing vocals. And Ryan's Elvis/Chris Isaacs/Nick Cave crooning with minimal production, makes this very eccentric and the coolest buy you could hope for!

Build A Rocket Boys!
Build A Rocket Boys!
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and Wonderful, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Build A Rocket Boys! (Audio CD)
I've been an Elbow fan for years - I can still remember rushing out to buy those first brilliant EPs, and getting every format so I'd have every possible track they'd released! Their albums have since then been consistently and quietly beautiful and original with touches of shear artful genius from Guy Garvey.

And then they released Seldom Seen Kid and gained `mainstream' recognition and success. So I was quite surprised by Build A Rocket Boys!, as my every expectation was that Guy Garvey's inclination would be to consolidate the position Elbow reached in popularity with Seldom Seen Kid and propel them further into `stadium band' territory with the following up. I was happy for them, but of course there is always that niggling feeling of loss of a band that is no longer the property of a select devoted fan-base (you know who you are!), a band that will inevitably be changed by mainstream success.

And then, they release this beautiful poetic, hymnal set of songs and confound expectation. And there is that heart-warming realisation that this band and this man exist to make the music they want to make, as they always have, and not what they think will sell. And I have huge respect for Guy Garvey and the band for not pandering to the SSK masses, welcome as they are to the fold.

Guy Garvey has always written lyrics about real life and given it an ethereal framing and never more so than on this album where the music has a dream-like quality and the songs a fluidity and connection that almost feels like movements in a classical piece of music. it is a love letter to their home and community, and how beautiful it is to see it through Guy Garvey's eyes. And clever man that he is, he is showing us how to look anew at the ordinary. There are so many songs here that are exceptional, they should be discovered and unravelled and fallen in love with. It is a wonderful album. The honesty and integrity of the music and Guy Garvey's lyrics is still to the fore, and unaffected by success.

I suspect it may not sell as well as Seldom Seen Kid. I hope it does, but I don't mind if it doesn't, because I don't think Guy Garvey will mind either. And, thank you guys!

The King of Limbs
The King of Limbs
Price: 8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefining the boundaries of 'rock band', 4 April 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
The BBC reviewer has said it all really.
I am still in awe of Radiohead. As a band and as individuals, their creativity is astounding. And it's brilliant that they are here, now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 8:57 PM BST

Into Your Lungs
Into Your Lungs
Price: 19.12

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've not heard this band, take the time, it's worth it!, 22 Mar 2011
This review is from: Into Your Lungs (Audio CD)
I've recently come across Hey Rosetta (not keen on the name!), they're Canadian, and I can't believe I've not heard them before because they're brilliant, the lead singer and song writer is Tim Baker and he has a great voice and writes beautiful songs. They have their own sound, but to compare for an idea of their sound, or, to give an idea of the other bands I'm into that I think they share similarities with: Arcade Fire, Elbow, Mumford, Coldplay, Jeff Buckley, Beirut, Midlake, Crowded House - they belong with these great bands! There are a good few videos on Youtube, which is how I first heard them, check out: A Thousand Suns, Psalm, Red Song, Red Heart, Yer Spring, There's an Arc, The Simplest Thing - only a few of their great songs. I'm writing this review because I think they deserve a much wider audience, if you disagree then I apologise, but if you like them, great, one new fan is better than non!

Plan Your Escape
Plan Your Escape
Price: 13.03

This review is from: Plan Your Escape (Audio CD)

Seeds
Seeds

This review is from: Seeds (Audio CD)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2011 1:53 PM BST

Lights And Offerings
Lights And Offerings
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Old (school)!, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Lights And Offerings (Audio CD)
I am old (-school), I agree with the review that references Kraftwerk (obvious homage to Kraftwerk in their look), Human League, Depeche - the same but different to all of the above, AND I LOVE THIS ALBUM! Great sweeping orchestral synths, really like the guy's voice, a lot more engaging than The Hurts. They could learn to be more subtle and expressive but 5/5 for a first album full of songs that make me want to jump about (robotically)! I'll be the one at the back doing the (cool) dad-dancing!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9