Profile for R. Back > Reviews

Content by R. Back

R. Back (Bath, BANES United Kingdom)

Panasonic TX-48CX400B 4K UHD 48 inch TV
Panasonic TX-48CX400B 4K UHD 48 inch TV
Offered by Co-op Electrical

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value 4K TV if you can stand the soap opera effect, 4 Nov. 2015
I purchased this TV last week and have it linked up with a bluray player via a soundbar, a Wii U, a freesat box and (via a splitter), Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV.
The build quality is fine- yes, it is plastic, but you don't really notice that. It is flat and thin and smart.
The picture is good as far as the image is concerned: a big step up from my much older LCD TV, but times have moved on, I guess. The real bugbear is the 'soap opera effect': where quality content like movies and drama (shot at 24fps) get added frames by the TV panel, and it ends up looking like a behind the scenes video shoot of the movie rather than the movie. This TV has that in spades.
This would normally not be a problem, but as far as I can tell, you cannot turn this off on this TV: there just isn't a menu option for it, even in the service menu, that I can see.
The only way I have found is to put it in Game mode. Although it solves the problem, the picture quality drops in other ways and you can no longer calibrate the brightness, contrast, colour, etc.
This problem for me accounts for all of the dropped two stars for this TV. I will live with it, but would it really have added to the cost of the TV panel to put an option in the menu for this? Bad job Panasonic/Vestel, bad job.
The earlier problems reported in reviews seem to have been cleared up: I have no problems with (for example) the iPlayer app.
Youtube and Netflix are also good on this box. I've seen other comments in here suggesting it doesn't have the necessary HEVC decoding for Netflix but 4K content looks good for me, and John Lewis and Richer Sounds advertise it as being compatible with this, so there's a chance the other reviewers were given poor information by customer support.
I've put some content on a USB stick and it performed similarly well.

Overall I'm just about happy with this TV: it is a good price, and if you're one of those people who isn't disturbed by the soap opera effect, you're probably making a good purchase.

Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband
Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband
Price: £89.99 - £190.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Most effective gadget I have ever owned, 26 Mar. 2015
I bought this a couple of months ago- and I can honestly say it has changed my life for the better. Would I have paid this amount of money to get these results? Definitely. I have been using the (linkable) MyFitnessPal app to log my food, and combined with a simple 10K step walking goal, I have already reached more than 80% of the way towards my target goal. I lost 1 stone in a month. By making sure I don't eat too much, and by going out for a walk at lunchtime, I've achieved far more than I thought I would.
The device itself is comfortable- I'd say it has itched for about 5 minutes a week, tops. At the moment I'm not wearing a watch, as this does the job. I like the heart rate monitoring, which has worked very well both in normal activity and when more active.
The sleep monitoring is fine, but not all that useful- I've used it more to get a weekly average to see if I'm overdoing it.
I'd recommend a Fitbit of any flavour- it just so happens that this is the one I got, and I haven't regretted it for a minute..

Mario No.1 amiibo (Nintendo Wii U/3DS)
Mario No.1 amiibo (Nintendo Wii U/3DS)
Offered by Rush Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Great additional features for Super Smash Bros, 4 Jan. 2015
These are a good addition to the Nintendo universe: probably worth the £10 Amazon are charging for them at the moment but no more. If you have Super Smash Bros for Wii U, you can train up a virtual version of the statue in the game to compete either with you or against you. We've just started training our Mario and already he is giving us a challenge.
This is a great feature but the features unlocked in other games may not be so worthwhile- such as unlocking a new suit for your Mii character in Mario Kart 8- hence 4 stars rather than 5.

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought provoking and helpful, 19 Jan. 2014
This book is something that shouldn't work: part autobiography, part self help, and part Inception style thought-planter. Yet work it does, and it is all due to Scott Adams' skill: at writing, understanding of human psychology, and in other areas. In fact, this book works because of all the 'fails' that he describes here, and how they've made him the man he is.

If you read this book and don't find at least 5 good ideas you haven't yet thought of which strike a meaningful chord with you, I'll be very surprised. It'll give you a better understanding of how to make the most of your life, and will give you optimism that you too can make changes in your life that will lead to increased happiness.

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 11 Jan. 2011
This book has everything you need to start making your own, delicious bread at home, by hand.
It says early on that following a recipe isn't enough- you need to know all about why you're doing what you're doing. And tell you it does, in great detail.
Prior to buying this book, I'd followed a couple of 'recipes'. Frankly, the results were pants. After reading the detailed basic bread making chapter, I realised I had learned so much, and when I made some amazing looking bread that evening-I was blown away by what I had achieved.
Seems silly, but there you go.
Thanks Dan!

The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit: Tools and Techniques for Designing, Developing and Deploying Data Marts and Data Warehouses
by Ralph Kimball

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on data warehousing, 26 Aug. 2003
I have had this book for a while now, dipping in to useful parts now and again without having had the time to read it from cover to cover.
However, recently I have been able to read it from start to finish and I wish I had done so sooner.
The book covers the 'how to' of data warehousing, but the thing that makes the book excellent is that it places this information in the context of the lifecycle of typical data warehouse projects.
The book is long... very long. But everyone on data warehousing projects should read this book, if only to encourage a common mindset. The examples and templates are also very useful.