Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 505

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Creative SB Inferno Gaming Headset (PS4 / PC /MAC / Smart Devices)
Creative SB Inferno Gaming Headset (PS4 / PC /MAC / Smart Devices)
Offered by elevenfirst
Price: 46.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for gaming...they are very good for music too., 7 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A comparison check on sound quality to other headphones I own was carried out.
I found that compared to my fairly cheap Sennheiser and mid range RZA headphones the slightly more bass effect of these gaming headphones preferable to the more expensive RZA headphones although overall sound on various music tracks rather than just the gaming for which these are designed the Sennheiser was preferred.
Initially the microphone did not work at all and was not recognised by Windows when trying to set up for speech recognition. The microphone is detachable and I found that after removing and refitting a few times it was recognised.
I actually has a recess on the moulding to ensure the microphone is positioned correctly.
I use Dragon Naturally Speaking software and tried to calibrate it using the inbuilt calibration for volume and quality. I had to boost the microphone input considerably to pass the quality test and found the error rate was fairly high when using it. As they are not specifically designed for speech recognition this is not a criticism.
The in line volume control is secondary to the volume control within Windows and varies the volume plus or minus to that set in the Volume Mixer in Windows. The quality of the sound when used on an iPad i thought was very good and on a HP Laptop far better than the inbuilt beats audio speakers.
The microphone On/Off switch is next to the in line volume control
The felt covered foam headset is very comfortable and adjustable
They articulate just one way and ensure that the correct earpiece is to the left with the microphone to the left. Once calibrated in Windows the same distance from the mouth is essential.
The 3.5 mm headphone and microphone jacks normally a very obvious pink and green on some headsets are both black with difficult to see symbols on the moulding
So far I have used them more for listening to music and podcasts rather than gaming or Skype.

Kingston Technology DTU30G3/32GB - Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3 (32GB) USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop
Price: 21.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Some information about real world USB3.0 flash drive speeds....., 6 Sep 2014
Reading other 5 Star reviews.....I initially thought I must have been unlucky and got a faulty one .
For a typical 25GB mixed folder of library mp3 music files transferring from a very fast Crucial SSD drive on an Intel i7 NUC machine via Superspeed USB3 (the socket with the blue insert) I was getting results of 17MB/s write.
This is vastly different to the 70MB/s write speed I expected on the package.
Estimated time was 1 Hour but actual time was 31 minutes which calculated mathematically is 13.4MB/s
No different to much cheaper USB3 sticks I thought . It also seems to get pretty warm too.
When you investigate within forums you find that the 70MB.s write speed applies to 1 large file such as a video file and not your typical folder within folders containing multiple small data files on your PC.
A Flash Drive Software utility called SpeedOut_0.5 or Flash Bench shows that a file larger than 100MB gives a write speed of 65MB/s but the other extreme for a small 2KB file was 6MB/s.
I hope this explanation avoids any disappointment having paid for an above average USB3 Flash Drive.

Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop
Price: 21.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Something about real World USB3.0 Flash Drive speeds......, 6 Sep 2014
I wonder why they don't put this information on the packaging.

Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3 32GB USB 3.0 Read 150MB/s, Write 70MB/s (DTU30G3/32GB)
Price: 17.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it faulty then..do I return it ..no please read on ?, 6 Sep 2014
I wonder why they don't put this information on the packaging.

BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
Price: 23.36

5.0 out of 5 stars The three dog test..., 5 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tested this product on 3 Jack Russell Terriers. All are different personalties . One would eat absolutely anything, one is slightly more discerning and one will discard food from the bowl on to the floor if it is not to her taste. You can't really do a blind tasting test with a dog but the discerning dog had his normal dried dogfood very similar by a different manufacturer put on one side of his bowl and this Purina for Terriers on the other side. On the basis that I don't think dogs would save the tastiest titbit until last this food was finished first so I guess that is the best canine feedback possible. All three dogs ate it all but it is our policy to give measured quantities as our vet has convinced us we are not being kind overfeeding a dog and weighs them at every visit.He also said dogs could not care less about buying a different flavour because they will get bored like a human but we do.
To summarise I vote Purina Beta Adult for Terriers a hit.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 10:22 PM BST

Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender, 175 Watt, Black
Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender, 175 Watt, Black
Price: 206.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful blender but a few setbacks....., 1 Sep 2014
Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender 175 Watt Black
Note :- If you are trying to source spare parts such as the chopping blade it is HMI (capital I)200 and not a number 1 as the font they picked to print the box could be either.
Upon opening the box to unpack the blender and read the instructions for use I was disappointed to see only safety advice and half a page of illustrations, which were for the operation and cleaning of the appliance. Very disappointing as I expected more information about it. The cable was very long and I found that useful.
The blender appeared to be robust and I first tested it in warm water to observe how it functioned, that was fine. Looking at the operating `buttons', I could barely see which was number 1 or 2, although the two speeds were adequate and I was very pleased that the liquid did not splash back and the blender circulated the liquid as the blade guard let the liquid through
On closer inspection the blender switch buttons when operated opens up a visible gap. I would have thought it would have been sealed with a membrane like an electric toothbrush for a wet environment. I noticed some salt on my hands went straight into the gap.
To give the blender a fair test as I decided to make a carrot and coriander soup in a fairly large pan. I prepared the vegetables and ingredients as I usually do except for the fresh coriander and cooked the soup until the vegetables were soft. However, when I put the blender into the soup it seemed to struggle on the vegetables and took a little while to blend. The fresh coriander leaves with short stems were put in and the blender really struggled even when I tried both speeds. I took the blender out and the leaves were wrapped tightly round the cutting mechanism. I cleared it but it happened again.
I tried my ten years old,Braun 250 watt blender and it did the job in seconds! What do I say? The contrast could not have been more marked.
The operating buttons on my old blender are sealed in and there is no danger whatsoever of getting food or liquid in.
I don't feel this is a `quality' item for the price
In the very short leaflet it says replace the chopping blades every 90 days in case of failure. I expect this means in a situation where it is used every day in a commercial situation. My old blender has never had a blade change.
Trying to source a spare in readiness using the USA web site and asking for a UK supplier of a blade rather than the whole detachable stainless steel shank has had no response yet.
Having advised this it doesn't tell you how you would remove it and it is not obvious to me at all how it can be done.

Update 3 Sept 2014 regarding a spare blade
For parts pricing and availability, please contact the authorized service center for your region:

Region: United Kingdom
Foodservice Equipment Marketing Ltd. (7037)
10 Carron Place, Kelvin Industrial Estate

Oral-B Trizone 2000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Price: 33.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Even more intelligence in this toohbrush., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If the dentist asked me how long I spend brushing my teeth each time I would probably say about 2 minutes and I use an electric toothbrush clearly believing I am telling the truth. I have always used the cheaper Braun models but this model seems much smoother running and faster but informs me I am spending nowhere near 2 minutes but probably just over 30 seconds.
The Daily Clean is a built in performance mode for daily usage with 2 minutes' brushing time spending 30 seconds in each quarter of your mouth. It misses a couple of beats at every 30 seconds and finally a few extra beats at two minutes.
Charging initially took overnight but once charged according to the charging light it does give a weeks worth of brushing although to me 2 minutes does seem a long time but I will try to continue doing it.
This model Oral-B Trizone 2000 has a slower speed by pressing the button twice which is for massaging your gums but I thought it the pulsating effect wasa bit uncomfortable.
If you are pressing too hard a red warning light will display and you will notice it whether you are in front of a mirror or not.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the solution I wanted and within USB3 guidelines., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A recent purchase of an external hard drive came with a very short USB3 cable and meant that I had to position it very close to my desktop PC. I was aware that the length of USB cables can be an important factor in USB cables but found that the USB 3.0 spec does not detail a maximum cable length, but 3.0 meters or 9.8 feet has been recommended.
This cable is within that at 9 feet and works OK.
Amazon Basics always seem to be good quality products.

HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) Portable Consumer Electronic Gadget Shop
HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) Portable Consumer Electronic Gadget Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Not correctly priced for this excellent chromebox., 23 Aug 2014
An excellent device if you have a spare mouse, keyboard and monitor and are happy using the Chrome OS , Google Docs and free Cloud Storage.
This is an identical spec to to the Asus Chromebox with the only difference being that the HP has 1 DIMM slot but a 4GB memory module as opposed to the Asus 2x2GB.
This looks much better than the ASUS.
The HP with 4GB and Celeron processor normally retails for about 149 so I am at a loss to understand the price for this earlier model at a lower spec and at 500 at present.

HP Pavilion x360 11-n001na 11.6-inch Convertible Notebook PC - (Intel Celeron 2.41GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB storage, Wi-Fi, Windows 8.1)
Price: 346.75

3.0 out of 5 stars A great hybrid notebook by HP but the screen could be better, 22 Aug 2014
This review is for a HP Pavilion x360 11-n001na 11.6-inch
The Intel Celeron Processor is not a full i3 processor but a derivative of an i3. It is certainly fast enough for this model and the hard drive is a normal mechanical drive and obviously not a SSD (solid state drive) at the price this is retailing it.
It is designed to work both as a notebook and a tablet. As its name suggests it turns through 360: the screen folds over and sits flush to the back panel in order to facilitate tablet use. This places the keyboard on the bottom face but the keys are deactivated and an on screen keyboard will appear when necessary, Some applications do not give theon screen keyboard automatically and you may need to click on the keyboard icon on the taskbar.
The 11.6in display at 1336x768 display didn't look particularly good being washed out until I increased the colour saturation and the brightness. If you are used to a retina screen it is only really OK on a 720p video.
This will warn that the battery life is reduced and it was only just over 3 hours on the default setting.
I do have an issue with the screen which has to be at a fairly precise angle as a notebook with any variation causing the screen to not display correctly being either too light or too dark. When I compare this to the angle you can view both an iPad or a Nexus 7 tablet it got to be annoying having to re-position it. It also has a fairly mirror like finish so difficult to view with your back to a window or outside
I struggled for a while with the touchpad on left and right hand mouse clicks until I realised that the bottom corners do actually depress rather than be tapped.
I thought the scrabble type keyboard was good and at this price not illuminated with fairly dark lettering . Oddly the Function keys seem to work exactly opposite to most laptops in that you press them directly to control screen brightness, volume, play etc but need to press FN to access the F1, F2 etc..keys.
I do like the bright red plastic finish on this model and the brushed aluminium finish. The hinge mechanism offset makes it very easy to flip it from tablet to tent to notebook.
I initially thought the touchscreen was not very consistent compared to an iPad but after some use realized that this lack of response was not the hardware but the Windows 8 Metro interface causing a delay between applications.
The BeatsAudio speakers did not seem particularly good quality or adequate volume to me but surely they would not promote this a worthwhile feature so I conclude it is my hearing that is faulty. Using headphones is certainly preferable.
In the notebook position if you try to use the touchscreen you will find it too wobbly on the hinge to be effective
I notice it comes with some trial software prompting you to try Office 365 and the online manual.
Mcafee Livesafe is installed and by default is managing the Windows firewall and antivirus .
As even Microsoft is recommending third party software over its own Security Essentials which is coming tenth in recent tests this was welcome.
Unfortunately this will prompt you for payment after 28 days or become disabled and I will then put on Avast Free which is about fourth in the tables.
Overall I really like it and at the price would be a worthwhile purchase

Update 26th August 2014. Battery was at 15% so connected the mains adaptor/charger. I then noticed an electrical burning smell and the 5amp fuse had blown on the 19.5volt charger which had got fairly hot. Registered the product with HP and contacted HP Support who were unable to replace the charger at the moment due to lack of stock but assured me the notebook itself was not faulty. I am not sure how they can know that for sure at this early stage until I plug in another charger. I would not feel very confident leaving it unattended on charge. This experience has reduced my review from 5 to 3 stars until I am sure the quality of it is OK.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20