Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 540

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A toothbrush that is more intelligent than me., 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If the dentist asked me how long I spend brushing my teeth each time I would probably say about 2 minutes and I use an electric toothbrush clearly believing I am telling the truth. I have always used the cheaper Braun models but this model 600 seems much smoother running and faster but informs me I am spending nowhere near 2 minutes but probably just over 30 seconds.The Daily Clean is a built in performance mode for daily usage with 2 minutes' brushing time spending 30 seconds in each quarter of your mouth. It misses a couple of beats at every 30 seconds and finally a few more at two minutes.
Charging initially took overnight but once charged according to the charging light it does give a weeks worth of brushing although to me 2 minutes does seem a long time but I will try to continue doing it.
it is a high quality product.

Roberts Radio Play DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built In Battery Charger - Black
Price: 57.02

3.0 out of 5 stars I am hopeful the ON/OFF button has been re-designed in this model, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This model replaces a very similar model I bought the Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 . All the functions are the same and it seems to be just a design change.
The Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 was the second Roberts radio I had owned where the ON/OFF switch had developed a fault. just after 12 months. Numerous 1 star reviews for that model showed I was not alone.
I did ask Roberts Customer Service why a more positive switch could not be fitted to a DAB radio. It would either not switch on or more annoyingly when switching off keep switching itself back on as I walked away.
Roberts explained to me I may not be switching it off correctly by pushing the button centrally which was not the case.
The only solution offered was a repair for 45.
On a positive note I can see the ON/OFF switch has now changed shape and been repositioned on this Radio Play model so I am hopeful it has been solved.
I would suggest that you buy 2300mAh NI-MH rechargeable batteries (not supplied) and remember to select the switch in the battery compartment from the default setting of Alkaline.
DAB radios are fairly heavy on batteries.
The design is still a bit top heavy with the aerial extended and you will find it will tip over fairly easily. The absence of a carry handle means you can easily pick it up and accidentally press a button which is why they have a lock switch on the rear. to over ride all the buttons.
The NI-MH batteries will only charge when the adaptor is connected and the radio switched off so you cant top up and listen at the same time like most devices.

TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
Price: 12.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly heavy and why it might matter..., 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I agree with the positive reviews regarding the warm white output which seems to be instantaneous unlike many LED bulbs.
I wanted to use it in a traditional 1960's Anglepoise Lamp Stand for reading but found that the weight at 400 grams too much no matter how much I tightened the friction settings on it. It also proved to run rather warm in the enclosed design.
In a normal overhead household situation or a normal table lamp it would not matter about the weight if a 60 watt equivalent is enough output.

Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (White)
Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (White)
Price: 10.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described....I like it, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some reviews are critical of the fact that it is not a UK plug. This is now not the case it is a UK plug.. I found the light output exactly right similar to a full moon outside which was the level I wanted.
It does extend about 70mm (3 inches) from the plug surface so does need to be positioned carefully.
The light sensor seems to be calibrated correctly and switches off as natural light exceeds the light output.
A very effective nightlight.

Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Offered by Allgoods Direct
Price: 57.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit smaller than I thought, 23 Jun 2014
It works great but the normal plates used in our previous microwave don't fit by about half an inch.
I didn't think to look at the dimensions when ordering.

flexi 21262 COMFORT LONG Dog Line 1, Blue
flexi 21262 COMFORT LONG Dog Line 1, Blue
Price: 12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 23 Jun 2014
Identical to one I bought locally at half the price.
Why did I need a replacement ?
My Jack Russell can bite through the fabric holding the end fitting in about 6 months even though it is regularly sprayed with a spray that stops dogs from chewing things.

WD 4 TB My Cloud Mirror Personal Cloud Storage NAS
WD 4 TB My Cloud Mirror Personal Cloud Storage NAS
Price: 237.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially loads of problems...update now resolved..hope this helps you, 23 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Setting up is just a case of connecting to your router powering up and it will become part of your network. Installation of the Windows setup will give online access and you are prompted to register and create a password. Once the software is installed you can right click in the system tray and access what Western Digital call "Dashboard". At this point you are presented with a dialogue to log in with the default user name as "admin". The password box is empty and I thought the password I had created at registration would be the obvious choice. This doesn't work and all the usual default passwords for a NAS system didn't work either. Reading the online manual you find that the default password is just left blank and you can just press Enter. (a later firmware update will state this in the password box).
The default condition is Raid 1 so a 4TB NAS gives 2TB of storage.
All went well as I uploaded about 30 GB of Data which took about an hour.
The next day on powering up, the Power LED which had been blue during previous use was flashing Yellow. Page 8 of the manual say that the Front Panel LED flashing yellow is the device powering up or in the process of updating the firmware or if not this a network cable has become unplugged. I had updated the firmware and waited 30 minutes.
I tried reconnecting and even replacing the ethernet cable but hours later it was still flashing yellow.
Accessing the Dashboard a red error message reported "One or more Raid Volumes are degraded" and the report that the Raid 1 was rebuilding and progress was 0% and 203 minutes. This has been like that for 2 days with Auto rebuild selected to ON.
A Restart or a Reboot is not an option during rebuilding and I have tried the usual "turn it off, wait and turn it on again.
I went to the WD support site where my registration had been confirmed but clicking on the drive I had registered 2 days ago said that the warranty and support had expired in April 2014 and I am unable to raise a RTA.
I have passed all this information on to WD Customer Services together with screen clips.
I will update this review but for the moment the drive is not useable (I think the term is "bricked" )
I hope I am able to come back and report it as 5 Stars but my experience last year with a 1TB MyBookLive ended up with me scrapping that and retrieving the hard disk which still works OK inside a cheap enclosure.
Update. Support case raised and acknowledged that a reply would be within 24 hours.
I have had a reply which took 7 days asking for a log file. This was sent to WD Support with a reply:-
I checked the logs. In the time when the issue have started (20-21-22 June) there are no issues logged from the system.
There is no information, what could trigger the resynchronisation of the drives.
The drives have no problems, there are healthy.
If you can, you can run a diagnostic test from the web page of the device.
If you move media files on the device, the media server can scan them afterwards, causing the device to work even if you do not work on it.
I had meanwhile changed from RAID1 to Spanning and the drive is working correctly but still slowly but now of course has no redundancy of data.
I think I will leave it like this.
Update 1st August after WD Support.
It seems that the problem was my fault with the RAID 1 constantly rebuilding as this was due to the fact that the MyCloud Mirror device is plugged into an extension lead made by Belkin that powers off by itself after 8 hours. I thought the NAS was turning itself off correctly but it wasn't.(This can be set up on a schedule in dashboard if you want )
This interruption if it was writing data at the time causes the problem and the hours of flashing yellow light next time it is powered up.
Now it is permanently on or powered down using the dashboard or the icon in the system tray all is well.
I have set it back to RAID1 but lost all the previous data and it is working smoothly.
I think from choice a NAS Drive where you can select more RAID options for different applications may be preferable such as the WD MyCloud EX2 or EX4 but these are much more expensive.
For home use and particularly as it is fitted with the 2 x 2.0 TB WD red drives it is a good choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2014 2:58 PM BST

Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 128GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD Includes 9.5mm Adapter
Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 128GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD Includes 9.5mm Adapter
Price: 51.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Some initial issues with the enclosed software now resolved, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The drive itself would get 5 stars for performance although I am not getting the published 550MB/s read and 330MB/s write.
I realise that these depend on other limitations in your existing PC system and I am more than happy with the 250MB/s read and 230 MB/s write compared to my old drive.
I thought it would be a good idea to clone my Dell PC Windows 7 Hard drive on to the new SSD.
It should have been a straightforward operation as inside the box there was a software voucher for Acronis True Image HD 2014 (software normally costing about 40 ). I had already been using Acronis True Image 2010 for sometime as my backup solution and have found the software to be very reliable..
Following the instructions I downloaded from the link provided. Installation required me to remove my 2010 version.
A 16 digit short key was entered which prompts you to register through your email address and receive the full product activation key. This was done but when copied and pasted in to the start up screen it reported as an invalid serial number.
This issue was resolved by the excellent support at Acronis and due to an updated version not being available on the OEM download page at the time I downloaded. This is now working correctly and I have activated the Acronis True Image HD 2014 software.
I have cloned my old Western Digital Hard Drive using it and having swappedthe Crucial SSD as the boot drive noticed an immediate improvement to my fairly old desktop PC.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 10:05 AM BST

Waring WTK17RU Traditional Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Red
Waring WTK17RU Traditional Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Red
Price: 49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kettle but I experienced one major fault., 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It looks good, the water level is clearly visible and does not mist up. It pours well and compared to my previous Russell Hobbs kettle is much quieter when boiling. I would love to give it 5 stars.
After 3 weeks of use the tight fitting lid which is needed to prevent steam escaping towards the handle failed.
The insulated plastic handle on the lid is secured by two stainless self tapping screws from inside the lid.
The force needed to lift the lid has pulled the two screws out and stripped the plastic threads and ended up in two pieces.
It has a 3 year warranty but I cant see a replacement lid lasting much longer as it seems to me to be a design problem and almost certainly will happen again. Perhaps the self tapping screws were overtightened during assembly.
I have repaired it using a substance called "Sugro" which is a self setting mouldable adhesive rubber and OK at high temperatures which so far is OK. If the repair fails I will send it back.
Update..26th June 2014 A word of warning my repair failed eventually but because I had tried to repair it the warranty is now void and a replacement is mow not possible. I expect it says that somewhere in the small print.
It is back to my noisy but intact Russell Hobbs kettle.

Linksys Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3.0 Adapter (WUSB6300)
Linksys Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3.0 Adapter (WUSB6300)

4.0 out of 5 stars You should pay about 50 for this item it is discounted elsewhere, 19 May 2014
Installation of the Wireless Adaptor does need the setup files on the CD provided so if you have no DVD drive on your netbook or laptop you will need to download from the Linksys site. The Windows 7 download also applies to Windows 8.1 as confusingly reading the driver information for Windows 8 you may assume it is just plug'n play.
Once installed and the wireless router password is entered I recommend you go to Control Panel- Device Manager-Network adaptor WUSB6300-Power Management- Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power and uncheck the box. Some users have thought this was a fault with the adaptor.
The dual band 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz selection may need to be changed on your router. You may find better speed on the 5Ghz but in general a better range using 2.4Ghz. I have found it 100% reliable with no drop outs and the only minor criticism is the width of the device. This may not matter on most PC's or laptops but I was using it on an Intel NUC where the USB3 ports were side by side. This effectively blocked the use of the spare adjacent USB3 socket on the front.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20