Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 442

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Turner: A Life
Turner: A Life
by James Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars A good research document after seeing the recent film Mr Turner, 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: Turner: A Life (Paperback)
I found this an excellent follow up to the Mike Leigh film about Mr Turner. I was able to look up a particular painting view it on Google Images and from the narrative find out more of Turners intention than ever came across in the film. Really enjoyable with loads more listing of paintings to go yet from what seem endless.

Logitech Textured Protective Case with Integrated Keyboard for iPad Air 2 - Carbon Black - Qwerty UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent case and an even better keyboard has replaced an earlier purchase., 16 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Logitech Type [+] case and UK keyboard is a hard case design with the 2014 iPad Air 2 locked into position very securely only on the top two corners in a landscape position.
Moving the ipad forward clicks firmly on to a magnetic strip which acts both to lock the iPad in the typing position and switch on the keyboard and override the on screen keyboard which disappears from view. The first time this is done initiates the flashing blue light bluetooth pairing procedure and then subsequently acts as the green LED on/off switch and charge state.
The Type [+] case uses a micro USB cable to charge the battery. To charge the keyboard, connect the included cable to any USB power source. Charging is indicated by a green flashing light until a steady green light indicates a full charge.
There is no instruction leaflet but checking the Logitech web link it says the battery life varies with usage. On average, the battery charge will last up to three months when used for about two hours a day.
The top row of keys are shortcut keys for common iPad functions including a sleep key. A normal sleep function also activates when folding the case and the keyboard is not in contact with the screen when closed.
The key travel and sensitivity are comparable with a good laptop making typing far preferable to a touch screen keyboard.
I noticed that in some fields such as pressing the search hotkey no flashing cursor was visible. Pressing the Tab key makes it visible.
The screen is held rigidly enough to make touch screen and gestures possible without the screen wobbling which I have experienced on a Windows laptop.
I would have preferred a softer case when folded and used for carrying the iPad around and a slightly longer USB charging lead but that would be nitpicking on what is a quality product. It has replaced an earlier iPad Air 2 case that would not reliably switch off when closing the cover and ran down my battery.

I Learnt about Flying from That: Collection of Articles from "Air Clues", the RAF Magazine
by "Wing Commander Spry"

5.0 out of 5 stars Been there done that...., 9 Dec 2014
Having a scare when flying an aeroplane is much more enlightening than hours spent reading manuals.
In the RAF Magazine called Air Clues a one page article in each issue was to share your mistakes in a confidential report to hope others would avoid the same mistake. I was not trained to fly by the military and paid my own way but remember reading the Air Clues magazine as a RAF Engineer. I have made many mistakes flying by not securing doors, skipping check lists and finding after take off that my mislaid specs have slipped to the back of the cabin and out of reach. You tend to make this mistake only once as with blurry vision you retrieve the situation. These stories may prevent you doing the same sort of thing.

Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g
Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g

5.0 out of 5 stars These are fairly large but soft enough to break up for a smaller dog., 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fairly large but soft enough to break up for a smaller dog. A 300 gram packet contained about 50 or so biscuits.
I would regard them more as a dog treat than part of a meal at the current price. My Jack Russell worked out very quickly how to tackle them on his own and after a couple was eager for more. I cant say he is exactly a gourmet though as he eats anything. The ingredients do suggest some health benefit so I would be happy to buy him more.

High Speed - SD / SDHC Memory Card Reader Writer for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - Supports both Windows & Mac - Backward USB Compatible - AAA products - 12 Month Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery and works fine., 22 Nov 2014
The most difficult thing is getting the cap off before you can use it. I have previously tried two other types of SD readers which look similar and also are still listed at the same sort of price. Both these failed after a few months and at the price not worth making a fuss over.I thought I would try this one and notice it has a 12 month warranty. Delivery was free and arrived the next day. It works OK.

MOFRED® Black & Tan Apple iPad Air (2013-2014 Version) Leather Case-MOFRED®- Executive Multi Function Leather Standby Case for Apple New iPad Air with Built-in magnet for Sleep & Awake Feature -- Independently Recommended by "The Daily Telegraph" as #1 iPad Air Case!
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price and better than others costing more., 22 Nov 2014
The latest iPad Air 2 is a bit loose in the case although I ordered the correct one. This means that sometimes the magnetic sleep on the cover does not always align and the screen was still on. It is obviously not a high quality product at a price of about £15 but better than others I have considered at twice the cost.
The matt finish is showing finger marks but overall it is a good protective iPad Air 2 case.
I find it odd that the cases which are different sizes are all under one listing and although I have the iPad Air 2 the review is headed for the earlier 2013 model. It appeared that I had ordered the wrong one initially.
It would be less confusing to list each iPad model separately.

Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Offered by ENTITY-Trade Park

1.0 out of 5 stars Two faulty ones, 22 Nov 2014
I thought I was just unlucky when one stopped working after the second one died after a few months too I thought it was not worth trying again.

Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars My experience so far is almost entirely good..., 14 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reviews of Anti-virus products or the more expensive total protection products such as this seem to get extremes of scores from 1 star to 5 star where perhaps the installation has caused total chaos and apparently reduced the PC to a crawl or on the other hand saved the PC from a possible disaster from malware or a rootkit attack.
I tend to believe reviews carried out in laboratory conditions by independent magazines such as PC Pro or PC Magazine who have said that Bitdefender is regarded as one of the best technical Windows internet security suites and this version Total Security 2015 lives up to that reputation.
I have installed it on a desktop PC running Windows 8.1 having disabled the Microsoft Defender product and found the installation straightforward with some disappointment that their own adware pop ups appeared within minutes. I hope this does not continue as it seems that every piece of software installed lately tries to import toolbars and applications you have not asked for. Apart from this the browser iseems to be as usual with no added buttons or toolbars or visible presence until an untrusted site is accessed and then sand boxed for protection if you proceed.
I have noticed no reduction in performance and I do like the default auto pilot protection setting. There are a number of features I would not want to use until I have researched them a bit more such as auto completion of credit card transactions and internet banking protection.
It is also worth looking around at pricing as even Bitdefender itself give a 50% discount price to trial users if you download and install the 30 day trial edition of this software and then buy it from their own link.
I have more than 3 PC's and add a word of warning regarding software licenses. When I Installed the very similar McAfee Product almost a year ago I found that 1PC that was dual booting into either Windows 7 or Windows 8 used up two licences. This fact was not known by their Sales Team but confirmed by their Technical Support. I will be asking the same question with this software but expect it to be the same.
The only time I had problems with Betdefender software was when I installed a trial version Internet Security 2015 removed it because I realised I had an unused licence on the 2013 version which I installed and my PC went into a loop of trying to repair the installation but never did. I had to do a system image restore and lost a lot of current data. Do not try that.
I have a reply regarding the licensing for a PC so it is different to McAfee.
We would like to inform that you in the case of dual boot you need only one Bitdefender license key.

CLIX Remote Dog Trainer
CLIX Remote Dog Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work so far..., 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: CLIX Remote Dog Trainer (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a Jack Russell that came to us age 5 and although we have had him for 3 years he is perfectly well behaved except for the first 5 minutes he has an extender lead clipped on. he regards this as just a game of tug of war. All dog trainer tricks have been tried and work for a day or two but every day we start with a battle.
Day 2 using this device which is not an electric shock but either a vibration or a high pitch sound is working along with a command "leave". I do hope I can say the same in a couple of weeks so I will update this review.
The collar is really a bit too large for a small dog and a considerable length of the strap can be cut off and he does not seem bothered about carrying around the box which is a fairly large on a small dog.
Anyway so far..so good..I do hope it works
Update 13th November. Despite the advice to reinforce the vibration with a command he is ignoring it more and more and attacking the extender lead but it is still working slightly better than our usual contest of tug of war on the doorstop. The high pitched sound alternative just makes him jump to one side looking frightened so not used now.

Vax Air Base U88-AM-Be Upright Vacuum
Vax Air Base U88-AM-Be Upright Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this Vax model Air 3 once I got used to the swivel, 31 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was unfamiliar with this swivel type of floor cleaner and chose to read through the instructions first. The machine overview was extremely helpful in that it showed the front and rear with component parts pictured and labelled. There are also very clear instructions and diagrams for the use of the VAX Air 3 on how to keep it functioning correctly. There is a six year guarantee which impressed me.
All relevant parts such as levers, functions and switches are coloured orange. As well as being shown in the instruction booklet the machine has printed labels on it. This is excellent as you don’t get this kind of detail on other appliances.
Upon switching on the VAX Air 3 for the first time I found it to be quiet, much lighter than my own machine and easy to move on the floor. I must admit that its manoeuvrability was my main concern. I soon got the hang of it by reclining the machine and turning the handle to the right, the machine moved to the right and so on.
The cyclonic suction was very good and the rotating brush has stiff bristles, which even picks up animal hair. I was very impressed! The VAX Air 3 cleans the carpets under the radiators much better than my other manufacturers machine. I particularly liked the upholstery tool which easily fitted into awkward areas as well as taking animal hair off cushions.
Like all new appliances you have to become more familiar with it as you use it. I found it very easy to detach and empty the dirt container. There is a clear guide which indicates when and how to do this and when to clean the filter.
The VAX Air 3 is more robust than I first thought, as the swivelling part felt decidely strange at first. I will need an additional 2.3 metre stretch hose in order to reach to the top of my flight of stairs. Additional tools can be bought separately.
I really like the VAX Air 3 and I know I will enjoy using it too. I do not hesitate to recommend the VAX Air 3 highly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20