Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 525

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender, 175 Watt, Black
Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender, 175 Watt, Black
Price: 206.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful blender but a few setbacks....., 1 Sep 2014
Hamilton Beach HMI200-UK Commercial Heavy Duty Hand Blender 175 Watt Black
Note :- If you are trying to source spare parts such as the chopping blade it is HMI (capital I)200 and not a number 1 as the font they picked to print the box could be either.
Upon opening the box to unpack the blender and read the instructions for use I was disappointed to see only safety advice and half a page of illustrations, which were for the operation and cleaning of the appliance. Very disappointing as I expected more information about it. The cable was very long and I found that useful.
The blender appeared to be robust and I first tested it in warm water to observe how it functioned, that was fine. Looking at the operating ‘buttons’, I could barely see which was number 1 or 2, although the two speeds were adequate and I was very pleased that the liquid did not splash back and the blender circulated the liquid as the blade guard let the liquid through
On closer inspection the blender switch buttons when operated opens up a visible gap. I would have thought it would have been sealed with a membrane like an electric toothbrush for a wet environment. I noticed some salt on my hands went straight into the gap.
To give the blender a fair test as I decided to make a carrot and coriander soup in a fairly large pan. I prepared the vegetables and ingredients as I usually do except for the fresh coriander and cooked the soup until the vegetables were soft. However, when I put the blender into the soup it seemed to struggle on the vegetables and took a little while to blend. The fresh coriander leaves with short stems were put in and the blender really struggled even when I tried both speeds. I took the blender out and the leaves were wrapped tightly round the cutting mechanism. I cleared it but it happened again.
I tried my ten years old,Braun 250 watt blender and it did the job in seconds! What do I say? The contrast could not have been more marked.
The operating buttons on my old blender are sealed in and there is no danger whatsoever of getting food or liquid in.
I don’t feel this is a ‘quality’ item for the price
In the very short leaflet it says replace the chopping blades every 90 days in case of failure. I expect this means in a situation where it is used every day in a commercial situation. My old blender has never had a blade change.
Trying to source a spare in readiness using the USA web site and asking for a UK supplier of a blade rather than the whole detachable stainless steel shank has had no response yet.
Having advised this it doesn't tell you how you would remove it and it is not obvious to me at all how it can be done.

Oral-B Trizone 2000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 2000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Price: 49.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Even more intelligence in this toohbrush., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If the dentist asked me how long I spend brushing my teeth each time I would probably say about 2 minutes and I use an electric toothbrush clearly believing I am telling the truth. I have always used the cheaper Braun models but this model seems much smoother running and faster but informs me I am spending nowhere near 2 minutes but probably just over 30 seconds.
The Daily Clean is a built in performance mode for daily usage with 2 minutes' brushing time spending 30 seconds in each quarter of your mouth. It misses a couple of beats at every 30 seconds and finally a few extra beats at two minutes.
Charging initially took overnight but once charged according to the charging light it does give a weeks worth of brushing although to me 2 minutes does seem a long time but I will try to continue doing it.
This model Oral-B Trizone 2000 has a slower speed by pressing the button twice which is for massaging your gums but I thought it the pulsating effect wasa bit uncomfortable.
If you are pressing too hard a red warning light will display and you will notice it whether you are in front of a mirror or not.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the solution I wanted and within USB3 guidelines., 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A recent purchase of an external hard drive came with a very short USB3 cable and meant that I had to position it very close to my desktop PC. I was aware that the length of USB cables can be an important factor in USB cables but found that the USB 3.0 spec does not detail a maximum cable length, but 3.0 meters or 9.8 feet has been recommended.
This cable is within that at 9 feet and works OK.
Amazon Basics always seem to be good quality products.

ASUS Chromebox M031U Desktop (Celeron 2955U 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Chrome OS)
Price: 213.65

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to use the Chrome OS, 23 Aug 2014
An Asus Chromebox gives you fast and simple access to the cloud based tools you rely on, whether it's Google apps or your favourite social networking site. Running on Google's Chrome OS, this is a tiny desktop computer that exclusively runs web apps, so you don't need to clog up your hard drive and slow everything down by installing various programs. Chromeboxes are great for working on documents and browsing the web.
During my research as to why the UK price was so high compared to the US I found that identical components are within the HP Chromebox and this is priced nearer to the Pound/Dollar equivalent at 149 for the 4GB model and it looks a lot better too.
The HP only has a single DIMM slot but 4GB as standard.
A Celeron Processor is more than adequate for Chrome and I am at a loss to understand why anyone would buy models with Intel i5 or i7 processors which is unnecessary. I can understand the Intel NUC offering this but not a Chromebox.
I can confirm that it is very fast and responsive at that spec with the exception that you are very dependent on your Broadband Speed.
I am on cable at 30 gbs but on occasions when it was running at below 5gbs it is doing a lot of buffering to load up the video ,picture and music from my Google Drive?
I rate at at 3 stars only because of the price which already has started to reduce I have noticed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2014 7:30 PM BST

ASUS Chromebox M060U Desktop (Intel Celeron 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Chrome OS)
Price: 171.33

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to use Chrome OS, 23 Aug 2014
The HP only has a single DIMM slot but 4GB as standard.
I am on cable at 30 gbs but on occasions when it was running at below 5gbs it is doing a lot of buffering to load up the video ,picture and music from my Google Drive..
I give it 3 stars only because of the original listed price which I have noticed is already revised a bit.,
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 1:41 PM BST

HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) Portable Consumer Electronic Gadget Shop
HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) Portable Consumer Electronic Gadget Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Not correctly priced for this excellent chromebox., 23 Aug 2014
An excellent device if you have a spare mouse, keyboard and monitor and are happy using the Chrome OS , Google Docs and free Cloud Storage.
This is an identical spec to to the Asus Chromebox with the only difference being that the HP has 1 DIMM slot but a 4GB memory module as opposed to the Asus 2x2GB.
This looks much better than the ASUS.
The HP with 4GB and Celeron processor normally retails for about 149 so I am at a loss to understand the price for this earlier model at a lower spec and at 500 at present.

HP Pavilion x360 11-n001na 11.6-inch Convertible Notebook PC - (Intel Celeron 2.41GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB storage, Wi-Fi, Windows 8.1)
Price: 344.91

3.0 out of 5 stars A great hybrid notebook by HP but the screen could be better, 22 Aug 2014
This review is for a HP Pavilion x360 11-n001na 11.6-inch
The Intel Celeron Processor is not a full i3 processor but a derivative of an i3. It is certainly fast enough for this model and the hard drive is a normal mechanical drive and obviously not a SSD (solid state drive) at the price this is retailing it.
It is designed to work both as a notebook and a tablet. As its name suggests it turns through 360: the screen folds over and sits flush to the back panel in order to facilitate tablet use. This places the keyboard on the bottom face but the keys are deactivated and an on screen keyboard will appear when necessary, Some applications do not give theon screen keyboard automatically and you may need to click on the keyboard icon on the taskbar.
The 11.6in display at 1336x768 display didn't look particularly good being washed out until I increased the colour saturation and the brightness. If you are used to a retina screen it is only really OK on a 720p video.
This will warn that the battery life is reduced and it was only just over 3 hours on the default setting.
I do have an issue with the screen which has to be at a fairly precise angle as a notebook with any variation causing the screen to not display correctly being either too light or too dark. When I compare this to the angle you can view both an iPad or a Nexus 7 tablet it got to be annoying having to re-position it. It also has a fairly mirror like finish so difficult to view with your back to a window or outside
I struggled for a while with the touchpad on left and right hand mouse clicks until I realised that the bottom corners do actually depress rather than be tapped.
I thought the scrabble type keyboard was good and at this price not illuminated with fairly dark lettering . Oddly the Function keys seem to work exactly opposite to most laptops in that you press them directly to control screen brightness, volume, play etc but need to press FN to access the F1, F2 etc..keys.
I do like the bright red plastic finish on this model and the brushed aluminium finish. The hinge mechanism offset makes it very easy to flip it from tablet to tent to notebook.
I initially thought the touchscreen was not very consistent compared to an iPad but after some use realized that this lack of response was not the hardware but the Windows 8 Metro interface causing a delay between applications.
The BeatsAudio speakers did not seem particularly good quality or adequate volume to me but surely they would not promote this a worthwhile feature so I conclude it is my hearing that is faulty. Using headphones is certainly preferable.
In the notebook position if you try to use the touchscreen you will find it too wobbly on the hinge to be effective
I notice it comes with some trial software prompting you to try Office 365 and the online manual.
Mcafee Livesafe is installed and by default is managing the Windows firewall and antivirus .
As even Microsoft is recommending third party software over its own Security Essentials which is coming tenth in recent tests this was welcome.
Unfortunately this will prompt you for payment after 28 days or become disabled and I will then put on Avast Free which is about fourth in the tables.
Overall I really like it and at the price would be a worthwhile purchase

Update 26th August 2014. Battery was at 15% so connected the mains adaptor/charger. I then noticed an electrical burning smell and the 5amp fuse had blown on the 19.5volt charger which had got fairly hot. Registered the product with HP and contacted HP Support who were unable to replace the charger at the moment due to lack of stock but assured me the notebook itself was not faulty. I am not sure how they can know that for sure at this early stage until I plug in another charger. I would not feel very confident leaving it unattended on charge. This experience has reduced my review from 5 to 3 stars until I am sure the quality of it is OK.

Take Your Wings and Fly - A Journey Through a Private Pilot's Licence
Take Your Wings and Fly - A Journey Through a Private Pilot's Licence
by Jason Smart
Price: 9.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes..that is just what it is like, 12 Aug 2014
Not a "How to fly an aeroplane" book but the frustrations of trying to actually get in one and start in the UK.
Yes....this is just what it is like. You will probably have already signed up for a block booking and bought your training manuals for the theory tests and already spent many hours travelling to lessons and sat around in the club hut and achieved very little as explained in this book. If you can read this book before you do this and then instead book a 2 week intensive course in Florida you may save both a lot of money and avoid all this frustration.
I always tell people that I think I taught myself to fly and the Instructor just happened to be there at the time(usually asleep)

Estone New Hard Drive Enclosure Dual Output 5V 12V Switching Power Supply Adapter 6 Pin
Offered by accecity
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but Good Product., 12 Aug 2014
Difficult to find now without paying around 15 -20 as used mainly with Old Hard drive enclosure IDE (non SATA).
All of them seem to run fairly warm when in use. Supplied without the Mains cable but you probably have plenty of them anyway.

Clarks Nature Three Mahogany Leather 203390057070, Men's Lace-Up Shoes  7 UK
Clarks Nature Three Mahogany Leather 203390057070, Men's Lace-Up Shoes 7 UK
Price: 60.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but I find them slippery on wet surfaces, 10 Aug 2014
The Clarks Nature Design is the only shoe in the Mens Range I have found that are still comfortable to wear without an excessively high back or clunky soles that are too thick at the front and seem to hit the curb.
Compared to the same model name "Nature" shoe made over 10 years ago they are not as well made in my opinion and oddly whereas my older version did not ever seem to slip on wet surfaces these certainly do and enough to make me write to Clarks.
They did not explain why this should be suddenly different to the old design soles but gave this explanation,

" Clarks soles are tested for slip resistance in-line with industry best practise, and I confirm that the Nature Three sole unit meets the required standard for minimum grip.
We use PVC and thermoplastic rubber (TPR) to make the soles for several of our styles. PVC and TPR soles are used across the footwear industry because they're so hardwearing and provide reasonable traction, even after quite a lot of wear.
Like any soles, ones made from PVC or TPR may slip on some surfaces, for example on ice or a wet floor. Unfortunately no one's yet discovered a way to make soles that are slip resistant in all conditions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20