Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 527

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Take Your Wings and Fly - A Journey Through a Private Pilot's Licence
Take Your Wings and Fly - A Journey Through a Private Pilot's Licence
by Jason Smart
Price: 9.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes..that is just what it is like, 12 Aug 2014
Not a "How to fly an aeroplane" book but the frustrations of trying to actually get in one and start in the UK.
Yes....this is just what it is like. You will probably have already signed up for a block booking and bought your training manuals for the theory tests and already spent many hours travelling to lessons and sat around in the club hut and achieved very little as explained in this book. If you can read this book before you do this and then instead book a 2 week intensive course in Florida you may save both a lot of money and avoid all this frustration.
I always tell people that I think I taught myself to fly and the Instructor just happened to be there at the time(usually asleep)

Estone New Hard Drive Enclosure Dual Output 5V 12V Switching Power Supply Adapter 6 Pin
Offered by accecity
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but Good Product., 12 Aug 2014
Difficult to find now without paying around 15 -20 as used mainly with Old Hard drive enclosure IDE (non SATA).
All of them seem to run fairly warm when in use. Supplied without the Mains cable but you probably have plenty of them anyway.

Clarks Nature Three Mahogany Leather 203390057070, Men's Lace-Up Shoes  7 UK
Clarks Nature Three Mahogany Leather 203390057070, Men's Lace-Up Shoes 7 UK
Price: 60.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but I find them slippery on wet surfaces, 10 Aug 2014
The Clarks Nature Design is the only shoe in the Mens Range I have found that are still comfortable to wear without an excessively high back or clunky soles that are too thick at the front and seem to hit the curb.
Compared to the same model name "Nature" shoe made over 10 years ago they are not as well made in my opinion and oddly whereas my older version did not ever seem to slip on wet surfaces these certainly do and enough to make me write to Clarks.
They did not explain why this should be suddenly different to the old design soles but gave this explanation,

" Clarks soles are tested for slip resistance in-line with industry best practise, and I confirm that the Nature Three sole unit meets the required standard for minimum grip.
We use PVC and thermoplastic rubber (TPR) to make the soles for several of our styles. PVC and TPR soles are used across the footwear industry because they're so hardwearing and provide reasonable traction, even after quite a lot of wear.
Like any soles, ones made from PVC or TPR may slip on some surfaces, for example on ice or a wet floor. Unfortunately no one's yet discovered a way to make soles that are slip resistant in all conditions.

Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 180 g Steam Boost, 300 ml, 2400 Watt, Blue
Offered by Bargains 2 U
Price: 74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good looking , well designed steam iron from Philips, 8 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Philips Azur Performance Plus - Steam Glide Iron GC4500 series.
The Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam iron looks and feels like a well designed robust iron.

Following the reading of instructions I couldn’t wait to get started by filling the water reservoir from the tap. Although there is a good sized aperture on the iron, my tap, which is a mixer tap, would not accommodate being filled this way. My sink was not deep or big enough to tilt the iron when filling. I used my trusty jug. Due to the azure colour I also found it difficult to see the level of water clearly and was in danger of overfilling the iron. When refilling the iron it is important to unplug the iron because of safety reasons.

The flat plate is beautifully tapered and has good button grooves which I found excellent as it caters for chunkier buttons as well as buttons that are not too well spaced out. The surface glides beautifully and the temperature settings are accurate.

With the temperature dial I found that the pointer, which indicates where it has been set, is out of sight due to the proximity of the handle and so small that you wouldn’t know it was there but for the instructions. When in the middle of ironing a variety of clothing you need to turn off the steam to reset.

The linen setting is excellent for continuous steam and creases disappear. The steam varies according to the temperature that you are ironing at. The spray button is very good, but having what I call average sized hands, I found that I inadvertently pressed the steam boost trigger at the same time. Until I got used to it I found this a bit unnerving when the iron is spraying and boosting steam at the same time.

Like all new appliances it just takes some getting used to.

WD My Cloud EX4 Personal Cloud Storage NAS - Enclosure Only
WD My Cloud EX4 Personal Cloud Storage NAS - Enclosure Only
Price: 287.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A good home or small office NAS from Western Digital and some information on data transfer speeds, 4 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At last a good NAS from Western Digital and some real life transfer speed information.
I have owned two previous lower end NAS systems from Western Digital in the MyBookLive and WDMyCloudMirror series
This review is for the WD My Cloud EX4 NAS -enclosure only which as the name suggests is supplied without hard drives.
The drive of choice for NAS ( network attached storage) is the WD Red Drive designed for home and small office systems as more reliable and robust at lower operating temperatures.
4 SATA drives of 2TB capacity were fitted and with the default RAID5 this gives a capacity of just less than 6TB for storage. RAID5 will give security of the data if any single drive fails.
It is important after following the quick start guide and connecting to the WD site for the WD MyCloud EX4 software that you allow all the flashing blue lights to become steady. Even then you are prompted to install the Firmware updates which in my case were 3 following each other and taking about 5 minutes each and rebooting. A number of criticisms in earlier reviews are addressed by these firmware updates I have found that the overall performance is comparable to my Synology DS214Play which has a 1.6GHz processor and 1GB RAM compared to this 2.0GHz processor and 512MB RAM.
Transferring and backing up data on a home network using a NAS drive is very variable with regard to transfer speed recorded by Microsoft Windows Explorer.
Data sheets for this device seem to quote figures such as 111MB/s Read and 101MB/s Write. Speeds. A theoretical gigabit ethernet connection (1.0Gbps) would be. 125MB/s (1000/8) but various bottlenecks in the networked PC's and mechanical drives reduce this considerably.
Fast transfer speeds quoted are for a single large file and if I get over 40MB/s on my home network I think I am doing very well. When it comes to folders within folders containing hundreds of small files your speeds drop considerably even stuttering below 1MB/s and giving an estimate of more than a day to transfer. In these instances 5 to 10MB/s seems to be my average. Transfer speeds compared to backing up to a USB3 external drive are sometimes frustrating but I found from data recorded by the Intel NAS Performance Toolkit that writing a directory to RAID5 on this model recorded 2.5MB/s.
I would say overall I am very happy with the transfer speeds.
At the moment I am at a loss to understand the Drive Sleep in Dashboard settings under Energy Saver. Although the Device Activity Graph shows no processes running all 4 drive LED's are apart from just after the setup constantly flashing blue even after 2 days with nothing on the network switched on apart from the Router and the WD MyCloud EX4. This is consuming 30 watts from the NAS and the Drive Sleep is enabled.The LED's can be switched off but surely they should stop eventually as normally you leave NAS devices permanently on ?
Until this is resolved I will set the power schedule or turn it off through Dashboard or the System Tray icon.
Access through portable devices in my case an iPad3 and a Nexus7 using the WD My Cloud Apps could not be easier following the screen prompts using the Quick Connect ID that is generated.
I have found the WD My Cloud EX4 to be as good as my well rated Synology DS214Play.

Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B PRO 600 CrossAction Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A toothbrush that is more intelligent than me., 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If the dentist asked me how long I spend brushing my teeth each time I would probably say about 2 minutes and I use an electric toothbrush clearly believing I am telling the truth. I have always used the cheaper Braun models but this model 600 seems much smoother running and faster but informs me I am spending nowhere near 2 minutes but probably just over 30 seconds.The Daily Clean is a built in performance mode for daily usage with 2 minutes' brushing time spending 30 seconds in each quarter of your mouth. It misses a couple of beats at every 30 seconds and finally a few more at two minutes.
Charging initially took overnight but once charged according to the charging light it does give a weeks worth of brushing although to me 2 minutes does seem a long time but I will try to continue doing it.
it is a high quality product.

Roberts Radio Play DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built In Battery Charger - Black
Price: 55.50

3.0 out of 5 stars I am hopeful the ON/OFF button has been re-designed in this model, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This model replaces a very similar model I bought the Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 . All the functions are the same and it seems to be just a design change.
The Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 was the second Roberts radio I had owned where the ON/OFF switch had developed a fault. just after 12 months. Numerous 1 star reviews for that model showed I was not alone.
I did ask Roberts Customer Service why a more positive switch could not be fitted to a DAB radio. It would either not switch on or more annoyingly when switching off keep switching itself back on as I walked away.
Roberts explained to me I may not be switching it off correctly by pushing the button centrally which was not the case.
The only solution offered was a repair for 45.
On a positive note I can see the ON/OFF switch has now changed shape and been repositioned on this Radio Play model so I am hopeful it has been solved.
I would suggest that you buy 2300mAh NI-MH rechargeable batteries (not supplied) and remember to select the switch in the battery compartment from the default setting of Alkaline.
DAB radios are fairly heavy on batteries.
The design is still a bit top heavy with the aerial extended and you will find it will tip over fairly easily. The absence of a carry handle means you can easily pick it up and accidentally press a button which is why they have a lock switch on the rear. to over ride all the buttons.
The NI-MH batteries will only charge when the adaptor is connected and the radio switched off so you cant top up and listen at the same time like most devices.

TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
Price: 12.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly heavy and why it might matter..., 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I agree with the positive reviews regarding the warm white output which seems to be instantaneous unlike many LED bulbs.
I wanted to use it in a traditional 1960's Anglepoise Lamp Stand for reading but found that the weight at 400 grams too much no matter how much I tightened the friction settings on it. It also proved to run rather warm in the enclosed design.
In a normal overhead household situation or a normal table lamp it would not matter about the weight if a 60 watt equivalent is enough output.

Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (White)
Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (White)
Price: 10.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described....I like it, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some reviews are critical of the fact that it is not a UK plug. This is now not the case it is a UK plug.. I found the light output exactly right similar to a full moon outside which was the level I wanted.
It does extend about 70mm (3 inches) from the plug surface so does need to be positioned carefully.
The light sensor seems to be calibrated correctly and switches off as natural light exceeds the light output.
A very effective nightlight.

Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Daewoo QT1 Compact Microwave Oven, 600 Watt, 14 Litre - White
Offered by Comcen Ltd *VAT registered*
Price: 52.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit smaller than I thought, 23 Jun 2014
It works great but the normal plates used in our previous microwave don't fit by about half an inch.
I didn't think to look at the dimensions when ordering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20