Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch
TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars A Positive Speed Increase., 29 May 2015
My Router has Gigabit connection but my old separate switch was a 10/100. Replacing my old switch with this TP-Link TL-SG1008D has increased transfer speeds to my NAS Device on a 12GB Folder from 8.5 MB/second to 41 MB/s.

WD My Cloud Business Series DL2100 4 TB (2 x 2 TB) 2-Bay Pre-configured NAS with WD Red drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Neat NAS Drive from Western Digital, 27 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to note is that this My Cloud DL2100 2 drive x 2 TB NAS is more compact (6x4x9 inches) than earlier twin Western Digital NAS Drives. It is now slightly smaller than a Synology DS214 Play which I also use..

Following the Quick Start Guide once connected to your network and powered on all you need to do is type in the address in your Browser and it is configured and running as a Raid 1 NAS Drive within minutes. It was the easiest set up I have experienced on a NAS Drive.
With RAID 1 either hard drive can fail without loss of your data with the limitation that the storage volume is 1.96TB. Other RAID configurations can be set and the menu explains the advantages or disadvantages of your selection.

Part of the Setup involves registration and as with other Western Digital Products especially Red Drives it may flag up a Warranty Expiry Date before the purchase date.
Their Standard reply is....We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, we will be more than glad to assist you with this issue.
Please send me a copy of the proof of purchase of the 4 TB My Cloud DL2100 that shows the purchase date. I can then forward the proof or purchase to the back office with the request to update the warranty period for this drive

The Drive is much quieter than other drives I have used such as The My Cloud EX4 which had constant disk activity and flashing LED's on all 4 drives and never seemed to go into StandBy Mode. Apart from a burst of Fan Noise on start up this model settles down quickly and is consuming 15 to 18 Watts during file transfer.
No Backup Software is loaded or comes on a CD with the Drive but this DL 2100 drive does qualify for a free upgrade to Smartware Pro if it is downloaded from the Western Digital Site. I have tried this Backup Software before and didnt like it much and ended up preferring to do my own manual drag and drop using Windows Explorer. Having just tried the latest version my opinion is still the same.

Data Transfer speeds when connecting the PC and this NAS Drive with a Gigabit Router Connection are very good on large single files achieving up to 95 MB/seconds. On all NAS drives copying large folders with many sub folders and multiple files will reduce this considerably down to single figures at times.

I particularly like the easy access to music and pictures using my iPad through the Free WD My Cloud IOS App without having to subscribe to any
Cloud Subscriptions.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 Multi Device: 5 Device, 1 Year [Frustration-Free Packaging] (PC/Mac/Android)

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently rated as the No.1 Internet Security option.., 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A magazine article with Microsoft recommending that a Third Part Anti-Virus be installed instead of using Microsoft security essentials prompted me to look at the league tables of products. Even the Free Ant- Virust Avast and AVG were rated higher than Microsoft Essentials which came tenth.
The clear leader in different magazines of tests carried out was Kaspersky Ant-Virus.
This package has 5 licences spanning PC, Mac, Android Devices and IOS but you should note that all expiry dates of 1 year run from the date of the first installation.
I have found it to be unobtrusive with only the very first scan taking over an hour and detecting 5 potentially unwanted programs.
The only criticism I have read is that the "Safe Money" utility is not working correctly on some Internet Browsers so for the moment this has been switched off.

Philips DVT2700 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with Speech Recognition Software and 2 Microphone Stereo Recording
Offered by Prompt Electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Installation and Set up was not easy...., 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking software over different versions for a few years but with a headset and carefully positioned microphone because you have to go through a very tedious voice. training process to create what is called a "user profile"
This carefully backed up and updated profile is no use in this Dragon Naturally Speaking v12 DVR (digital voice recording) as after a lengthy conversion from v11 when I tried to use it got an error message saying "the user profile you have selected using an acoustic model is incompatible with this DVR edition".
So it was starting from scratch and finding that the installation is from a DVD when I don't have a DVD drive on my Intel NUC PC.
Unlike other software providers there is no download link from their site to which you just input the serial number so it was a case of finding a DVD drive and copying over to a memory stick. During installation a nag screen to register the product came up but after opening up Internet Explorer the boxes for email address and password were greyed out and you could not input your details anyway. This is followed by a request to activate the product and an immediate offer to upgrade and then the request to create a profile using the Philips Voice Recorder.
The leaflet specific to the recorder is just a diagram of functions which I found OK for just recording and playback and connecting.
There is a pdf file user manual on the recorder itself explaining the more complicated set up options but I found just being able to Record, Pause, Stop and then connect the USB to the PC was enough once you knew where the mp3 file was located on the file system on the Philips Recorder. Once I had done about 10 minutes reading and creating the voice profile by connecting and selecting Transcribe I found using the software fairly easy having used other acoustic versions. it was not totally accurate in printing out my recorded text but I am aware this takes a number of hours and a lot of patience. What I don't understand is that on my iPad I have the free Dragon Dictation App in IOS and immediately after installing it I could just talk without a carefully controlled microphone , without training and it has better accuracy than this DVR version at this stage. If you have the patience to work with Dragon Naturally Speaking Software I would recommend you find out the location of your User Profile in ProgramData/ Nuance/NaturallySpeaking12/Users and make sure you have a backup copy. I have had to reinstall the Software and start from scratch myself in the past.

Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White
Pest-Stop PSIR-SH2 Small House Pest Repeller - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure it works at all ..am I too sceptical ?, 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has two deterrent functions, Electromagnetic and Ultrasonic but the instructions printed on the box and in a strip leaflet inside are very confusing.
It is effective against insects and rodents clearly stated but the box states safe for Pets and "even if you have a rodent pet". How does that work then ? It is also ticked as being safe with a green tick for House Flies according to the diagram along with dogs and cats birds and lizards..
My Dog reacts to it being switched on, so as far as I can see the Pet safe position on the switch just turns it off leaving the Electro Magnetic
We definitely have mice in the garage as they are eating the bird food we store there. After 3 days switched on in there the mice are still eating the bird food and we left a door open so they could run up a white flag and escape, I wish I could be convinced it works but so far I am not.

Rexel A4 100 Pocket Clearview Display Books - Black (3 Pack)
Rexel A4 100 Pocket Clearview Display Books - Black (3 Pack)

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap in quality but not in price...disappointing, 13 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have an Art portfolio in a series of ordinary four ring binders with crystal clear heavy gauge pockets. Transferring the work across to this presentation folder I immediately noticed that the pockets are a much lighter gauge in fact I would describe them as flimsy but they are also matt and cloudy and not what I would have expected from the description as "clearview". The pages once loaded are easier to turn than a ring binder but with 200 glossy inkjet A4 sheets the whole book has no rigidity and is even difficult to fit into the outer box sleeve which is also made of plastic and too flexible. There is no pocket on the outside to label the contents if put in a bookcase . I think 100 pockets holding 200 sheets is probably too many for this design and the smaller capacity would be more manageable but I would definitely want much more substantial and clear pockets in something described as a presentation or display book..

Webbox Working Dog Chicken, 12Kg
Webbox Working Dog Chicken, 12Kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Accepted by our gourmet dog as worth a try., 13 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our Vet told us years ago that modern dried dog food products contained everything that your dog needed to keep him healthy and the dog could not actually care less about having a variety of different flavours. We were also advised to not give more than the recommended daily amount of the dried dog food for the weight of the dog.. We had been previously buying only tinned meat by the crate . Our Jack Russell now has only a third of small pack of meat as a treat and dried dog food. This product is similar to the one we use regularly being in two fairly small shapes and with the same claim of not having artificial colouring or additives. Putting a small sample of his existing dog food and the Webbox in front of our dog found initially he went for this as a second choice but he did eat it with as much enthusiasm as normal. I have not noticed this product on sale with our normal supplier but will now check around.

The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue
The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong ball but no squeak.., 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Jack Russell Terrier expects a rubber ball to squeak and then be ripped to shreds within half an hour. This medium size ball about the same size as a tennis ball had no squeak but a hole. I am not sure if you put treats inside or the hole just makes it whistle when it is thrown in a ball launcher. After 3 days it is still intact so it is stronger than most and I managed to fit a smaller squeaking puppy ball inside it so it is still keeping him busy. My dog never retrieves a ball and gives it to you it is just a tug of war game.

Panasonic RPHT030ES Monitor Headphones - Silver
Panasonic RPHT030ES Monitor Headphones - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought two pairs...so really good value, 29 April 2015
They seem to be just as good as my Sennheiser 100 headphones and what a bargain price. My dog knocked my iPad to the floor and this bent the jack plug on my old headphones and the sound was then intermittent.
The jack plug on these are actually a right angle to start with but I will be more careful.

3 Key Turner Quicker Easier Turn Keys Arthritis Mobility Disability Aid
3 Key Turner Quicker Easier Turn Keys Arthritis Mobility Disability Aid
Offered by GBP International

4.0 out of 5 stars A good well made design..., 29 April 2015
Bought two in different colours for my Mother who has a very weak grip. Although it takes 3 keys it was less confusing to have a key in each. She can manage the door keys perfectly now. If you are fitting just 1 key you do need to add a couple of thick washers equivalent to a key thickness to enable the key to stay extended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20