Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 465

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax Air Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller and lighter than most upright bagless models.., 23 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
VAX AIR carpet and floor cleaner

On first appearance I noted that the VAX Air Eco was considerably smaller than my usual cleaner,an old Dyson model. It is also lighter by 3.2 kilograms which if you are carrying it upstairs is also an advantage. The capacity for waste though is much less than in that it also fills up rather quickly.

I tried the VAX Air on the carpets and floor coverings in my home. The suction was excellent to the point that loose carpet pile was sucked up too. The brush bristles are quite stiff and it obviously scours for any debris, but the disadvantage is that the cleaner pushes easier than being pulled back. This is also a good physical workout.

The VAX Air lifted the foam backed carpet off the floor, though the Twist Pile and Wilton carpet are harder to clean, it caused the pile to be lifted as new. Another advantage with the cleaner is, that there is a visible green light that shows all is well, but when cleaning a door mat, for example, it lights up red to indicate it is being lifted off the floor and the suction has stopped.

I was aware of the handle being really uncomfortable as it has the hose to extension tube connecter at the end of it. The stretch hose is also much shorter which means you are limited to the distance you can go when cleaning stairs. Also the length of the cable is about 2 metres shorter than my usual cleaner and it means that I was limited to the distance I could get around.

This model of VAX Air is the basic model, but accessories can be bought for specific use. I used the accessories available on my sofa and cushions, and the suction worked on the pet hair wonderfully.

To empty the VAX Air dirt container is easy to remove, but you need both hands free to open the flap to release the dirt. The carpet pile would not come out without some assistance. This is not too much of a drawback as the seal aids the suction power.

Rapoo E6300 Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for iPad- White
Rapoo E6300 Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for iPad- White

4.0 out of 5 stars The keys are a bit too close for my fat fingers...., 22 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The keyboard in white with grey markings looks very Apple apart from the addition of function keys in blue icons.
It is about the width of an iPad mini or the actual screen width in landscape of a full size iPad with a brushed aluminium base fully enclosing the keys.
I thought the appearance was pleasing and it was awarded a product design in 2012,
Pairing wasn't difficult, following the usual Bluetooth steps of long-pressing the button labelled "Connect " on the keyboard and waiting for it to show in iOS Bluetooth settings, and then typing the four digit code on the keyboard that iOS displays.
It was at this point I immediately realised the keys were almost touching the adjacent key as I typed.
Even the touchpad on the iPad screen has a a couple of mm's space and I often hit the wrong key using that.
The flat keys are the scissor switch design so even depressing the very edge of the key the whole key depresses without any wobble and is the type often found on laptops as low profile which are quiet and require little force to press
This type of keyswitch is often found on the built-in keyboards on laptops and keyboards marketed as 'low-profile' but have more space between keys.
I wish they had perhaps added another 20mm or so to the width to give some space between the keys as I found I was constantly hitting the wrong key.
As with other Bluetooth keyboards that I have tried I found some iOS apps will hide the on screen touch keyboard if you use this keyboard or perhaps display both.
Using some of the iPad dedicated keys such as Search on F1 will call up the search box but then not accept typing because the cursor is not present and flashing meaning a combination of touch screen and then typing on the keyboard.
Generally though the dedicated keys were helpful especially the keyboard icon to call up the keyboard if it fails to show in some apps.
The battery once charged is supposed to be useable for a month
I also tried using it on a Nexus 7 tablet but of course the dedicated iPad keys are non effective and found it useful.

Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional design which looks good too in this Swiss product., 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock.
A lot of thought has gone into this design as well as just being a very good tin opener.
I have bought products before from Zyliss and discarded every potato peeler once I used theirs.
The fact that once you start to use the tin opener the handle is locked so does not jump out once the tin rotates also the magnetic lid attachment safety feature has a release mechanism to avoid touching the sharp edge of the lid.
In white and red with grey rubberised grip where needed, a lot of thought has gone into this Swiss design.

Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit
Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy a Rubik Cube you will like the lock down handle problem..., 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oddly no manual at all but pictures on the box and diagrams on the orange body of the tool.
It took me ages to work out how to get the handle from the horizontal position into the ready to use position.
Similarly returning it back to the horizontal position for storage in the box was equally puzzling. I can only describe it as getting the combination of either pushing the handle in or pulling it out and lowering it and then an extra pull.
There is no indication anywhere of this combination.
When I tried loading the cable staples and the nails these need To be slightly offfset in the loading magazine at the bottom of the tool and must lie flush to the wall of the left hand side of the magazine where a black arrow indicates this. It was very tricky if the nails or staples separate and then fold up. I used to be able to clear the breech and reload a Bren gun in the armed forces faster than this.
The inclusion of a staple remover is welcome and this one is very good indeed.
I had an all metal Tacwise cable stapler of exactly the same design so please be careful. I have a picture of the back of my finger with a cable staple neatly fired into it which I would like to add to this review if I can work out how to add pictures.
It is very powerful and excellent for most household jobs.
On the box a black lever labelled as a safety lock is a mystery so fart as in both the plus or minus positions you can still operate it and fire a staple.
Does anyone know what this is keeping safe ?
The cable staples are not for masonry but it seems only wood and I found that on a TV coax cable it powerfully fired in a bit too far compressing the cable.
Added later.
Response from Tacwise regarding the safety lock ?
The lever labelled safety lock is not a safety lock and marked + - it is in fact an impact adjuster, giving the tool more/less power depending on application, type of wood etc.

TTfone Mercury 2 Big Button Basic Senior Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone with Dock - Black
Offered by TTsims

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Oldies ...a more than useful mobile phone., 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not just a mobile phone for Oldies but if like me you need to find some reading glasses to view the tiny writing on the screen this is a breakthrough as far as I am concerned.
Being SIM free I transferred my Orange SIM from my normal phone and it was ready to go with all my contacts.
All menu selections are very logical with the exception in my opinion of the absence of a separate On/Off switch.
Without consulting the manual unless I really have to , I would have expected it to be the Green call button but it is in fact the Red terminate button.
I asked others what button they would expect it to be and they without exception said the Red one so my logic was incorrect.
To unlock the keyboard is also the Green button and I quickly got used to this combination. I would have been quite happy with just making calls and texts but it also features a FM radio ,media player a torch and thank goodness no camera. If you use the radio and not mentioned in the manual is that the quality is greatly improved by connecting the USB charging lead which then acts as an aerial. If you want an instant torch just hold the zero button for a few seconds to turn it on or off.
I preferred to set the options on the emergency button to be set to only ring one number and disabled the option to send out emergency text messages
The battery capacity seems to be about 4 or 5 days in standby.
A good loud clear ringtone and voice key input is welcomed.
It is not exactly a smartphone fashion accessory but very useful never the less.

SK hynix HFS128G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 128GB Solid State Drive
SK hynix HFS128G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 128GB Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars A newcomer to the SSD market and very good too.., 17 Oct 2014
I have reviewed the 256GB SSD by SK Hynix but it is applicable to the 128GB version too.
You are probably more familiar with 2.5 inch SSD drives made by Sandisk, Samsung or Crucial than SK hynix.
Since 1984 SK hynix has been making DRAM and NAND flash is the global leader in producing semiconductor, ranked 2nd position with a 23% worldwide market share in DRAM market and 10% NAND Flash and is now producing SSD (Solid state drives).
I recently built an Intel NUC ( Next Unit of Computing) kit the model D54250WYKH which has a Crucial mSata SSD on the motherboard but also has extra height on the box to support an extra 2.5in HDD or a SD.
I had previously fitted a Samsung EVO 840 SSD but had noticed a reduction in the read times over about 6 months from when I did an initial read/write test.
I have just found out that a firmware update by Samsung is needed to resolve this in October 2014.
I was, however, able to directly compare my initial figures when I bought it.
A single large movie or an ISO image will test a drives sequential read/write and these are often the eye catching figures quoted.
In the real world you are more often moving much smaller data files within folders and within sub folders and these speeds are not obtainable and usually much less than half.
SK Hynix is quoted:-
Sequential Read 128KB - 530MB/s
Sequential Write 128KB - 410MB/s
Samsung 840 EVO is quoted :-
Sequential Read 540MB/s
Sequential Write 410MB/s -520MB/s (depending on drive size)
Without listing a series of file sizes and data transfer rates I found the real world speeds both writing and reading between two SSD drives in the NUC to be as good as the Samsung EVO 840 and better than a previous Samsung 830 SSD as recorded by Windows 7 64 Bit OS.
As a secondary drive within a normal PC your maximum speed is limited by any primary mechanical drive you are reading or writing to but as your main operating system boot drive it will be a considerable speed increase for normal working.

Zyliss Digital Multi Timer
Zyliss Digital Multi Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars I just can't hear the alarm and my hearing is not impaired..., 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not exactly sure if the Zyliss I have been sent is faulty or if the alarm is barely audible by design.
In a kitchen with a radio on and the normal noise of cooking and microwaves running the countdown timer activates the alarm but at a distance of about 6 feet you will not hear it.
Check with other reviews to see if anyone else makes the same comment.
It is a pity as this has been one of the most logical and easy devices to set up particular as you have 4 seperate timers running as well as the normal clock display.
Resetting and cancelling was easy with the rubberised buttons being easy to operate.
Bright red in colour which seems to be the colour of choice for kitchen equipment at the moment.
I hope others report a loud and clear alarm without the need to bend your head down to it to hear it squeaking like a mouse.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 32GB USB Flash Drive - Frustration Free Packaging

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow but cheap..., 16 Oct 2014
I bought both this 32GB and a Toshiba 32GB at the same time.
In the days of SSD drives and USB3 they both seemed painfully slow to write a single large movie or an ISO image which will test a drive's sequential performance. Perhaps 10MB/s dropping to 5MB/s
Writing a mixed folder with sub folders and you will often drop into KB/s rather than MB/s.
The Toshiba was however marginally quicker than this Kingston.

Toshiba THNU32HAYBL5 32GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White
Toshiba THNU32HAYBL5 32GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow but cheap..and not as slow as others, 16 Oct 2014
I bought both this 32GB and a Kingston G4 32GB at the same time.
The Toshiba was however marginally quicker than the Kingston.

SK hynix HFS256G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 256GB Solid State Drive
SK hynix HFS256G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 256GB Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this SSD to be a fast and welcome addition to the market, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You are probably more familiar with 2.5 inch SSD drives made by Samsung or Crucial than SK hynix.
I was, however, able to directly compare my initial figures when I bought it.
SK Hynix is quoted:-
Sequential Read 128KB - 530MB/s
Sequential Write 128KB - 410MB/s
Samsung 840 EVO is quoted :-
Sequential Read 540MB/s
Sequential Write 410MB/s -520MB/s (depending on drive size)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20