Profile for Tellboy > Reviews

Content by Tellboy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 538

Tellboy (Manchester)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Continues to be a Stable full featured Editing Suite, 27 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This program in the Corel VideoStudio X series has an installation of over 1.5Gb probably due to the inclusion of the special Effects pack in this the Pro version.
It also recommends you keep the setup files on your hard drive for updates at another 1.3GB.
Installation was straight forward taking about 20 minutes but I have learnt over the years of Corel Products to do a custom install option to avoid adding extras you may not want such as Google Toolbar and customer participation.
You may wish to accept the download at the end of installation and install Apple Quicktime to play Mov and MPEG4 videos.
I am running it on a fairly high specification Desktop PC using Windows 8 Pro version.
I am well used to doing work in the earlier series when it would suddenly lock up and I would lose all the editing so I was used to saving the project work very frequently.
Things have worked much more fluently in this version with no loss of work.
It still remains odd that it caters for numerous file formats but still not Flash video (.flv) which although destined to be phased out is still very common on downloads such as YouTube.
Also odd is the fact that it does not even offer a video converter to smooth things along if you do try to import it rather then getting an error message "file format mismatch"
A very sophisticated piece of video editing software catering for up to 4K Ultra High Definition if you are lucky enough to have a camera of that specification, but also easy to use to do very basic editing.
In this release I have found the enhanced screen capture utility very useful for presentations.

Einhell BG-MT 3336 163CC Petrol Tiller
Einhell BG-MT 3336 163CC Petrol Tiller
Price: 240.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more powerful than I needed or could manage..., 17 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the delivery arrived with the two men staggering towards the door I realised that what I took to be a lightweight garden tool was easily twice as big as anticipated.
Even unpacking the box needs two people to lift out the components for assembly.
It does need some building up and in addition to the two open ended spanners provided you will need at least an adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers.
The engine is a four stroke 163cc needing separate oil and petrol supply.
Once assembled the clutch needs careful adjustment to ensure that the drive is disengaged prior to starting.
There is no petrol on/off or choke selection and the engine starts every time with the recoil start system.
My fairly large garden has a heavy clay soil and with the recent wet weather for a number of weeks I found that after starting and selecting even a low speed once I engaged the clutch it was too powerful for me to have any precise control over it. I am sure that a stronger person without back problems could manage it and perhaps I could too on a light sandy soil but I found in my conditions I was unable to really use its full potential.
Out of use it is a very large item to store away too so is at present left outside under a weatherproof cover.
Mechanically it seems to be a quality item with the easiest starting engine I have ever used on a powered machine. In normal circumstances it would be a 5 star item but in my case just too big and powerful.

TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Price: 19.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not seem to work in Windows 8 unless you do this, 28 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I installed the card into the PCIe slot on a Dell XPS420 PC running Windows 8 32 Bit.
On reboot it did not report finding new hardware.
Running the installation CD reported "The installer can not run on this platform. Please select package for your operating system"
Went to the tp-link website for latest driver
[...]
I found that this driver was for Vista and Windows 7 too.
Finally went to Control Panel -System-Device Manager and found that Qualcomm Wireless Network Adaptor was actually present and reported that it is working normally with the driver used from Windows 8.
In short under Windows 8 you just go your Network Connections and manually enter your Network Wireless Details, Security and Password as it has actually installed without reporting a succesful install
It works as I am typing the review on it now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 10:33 PM GMT

Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver
Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The easiest Bluetooth device pairing up ever, 6 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike a lot of Bluetooth devices (and even some made by Aves) which need constant fiddling and button pressing to get pairing up this one has no extra buttons.
Just switch it on and it was found by my iPad, iPod, Nokia Smartphone and even an ancient Sony Vaio laptop.
The device playing the music becomes mute once paired.
It does need powering by the AC adaptor as it is not rechargeable so will use a mains socket but you can fit it and forget about it.
As mentioned by other reviewers you could of course just buy a headphone to phono lead adaptor for a couple of Pounds and achieve the same thing.

AVES Aqua Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ Noise-reduction Mic Handsfree Phone Kit in Black
Offered by Audio Electrical
Price: 12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I found pairing up very temperamental and frustrating., 4 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never seem to have an instant connection with any Bluetooth devices apart from one at the end of this review.
I think you need the skill of a bomb disposal officer combined with the patience of Job.
This Bluetooth Speaker proved more difficult than necessary due to the duplication of on/off switches, the sloping front where the touch buttons are situated and seeming to have to wet my fingers to get them to respond. it that why it is called Aqua ?
The instructions are not very well sequenced in the manual.
You need to switch on at the back, hold the touch power button at the front until it lights up the bluetooth LED and then fairly quickly touch but hold the front phone symbol button to get the blue and red flashing LED's then quickly switch on Bluetooth on the transmitting device my iPod which does list aves Aqua it but then needs tapping to start pairing.
Sometimes if I was quick enough it worked first time but more often than not needed repeating and cancelling on the iPod and then on occasions dropped out during use.
If the pairing up wasn't so tricky I would happily give it 5 stars as the quality of sound is fairly good.
The odd thing about is that I have a Aves Mercury music receiver and with that I just switch it on and it pairs up without going through any of the above routine. Just switch it on and that is it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2013 12:40 PM BST

Seagate STCA4000200 4TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive
Seagate STCA4000200 4TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd
Price: 174.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving above 2TB has some program limitations, 28 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The drive is easily set up and installed in Windows 7 but having tried the Seagate Dashboard Backup software for a few days and getting error messages such as "Drive is not accessible" and "Updated backup to Drive , Last Job failed" I went back to using my normal backup software Acronis TrueImage 2010 but this just locked up and stopped working as soon as the drive was selected
This software always works 100% reliably on all my other external drives which are less than 2TB but I have discovered having read through forums that there seems to be a Windows limitation that applies to all >2TB drives from any manufacturer.
I attempted to partion this drive but all I succeeded in doing was losing half the capacity in Windows 7.
Changing back from MBR to GPT in Disk Management gave me back the full capacity and although formatted as NTFS my preferred back up Acronis TrueImage 2010 would not run. Oddly within Windows 8 on a different PC using Acronis TrueImage 2013 it worked OK but having individual licensing would mean buying more licenses.
The result is that I am just copying data across to this drive rather than using any dedicated backup software.
The drive is fairly silent in use and used on more compatible software gives plenty of storage space but with my ad hoc collection of PC's running different versions of software it has proved to be of limited use due to constant error messages.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 12:24 PM GMT

Remington EP6010C Corded Epilator
Remington EP6010C Corded Epilator
Offered by allyouneeddirect
Price: 20.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly slow and painful, 28 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In use experience by my wife.
I did not know what to expect when I first tried this epilator as I usually use a razor.
I read the instructions and was perturbed by the fact that you need to use the epilator regularly as hairs could grow under the skin.
I decided to do a patch on my leg as a test and realised that, although warned, it was uncomfortable. Several tries were needed to rid the patch of hairs and indeed it was successful. It would take some time to do both legs and equated this, with the time it takes to shave my legs and I'm sorry to say the razor won.
However, four weeks later, the patch on my leg is still hairless. So for the patient people among you will find this epilator useful though time consuming. It is ideal to use before a holiday when you would rather not shave.It think it is vital to read the instructions first!

Skil 6950 550W Torro Multi-Drill
Skil 6950 550W Torro Multi-Drill
Price: 51.73

5.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight well designed Electric drill, 26 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not a manufacturer I was familiar with but having used it all weekend I found it a very pleasing item to use.
The absence of a chuck key is a bonus as fitting and removing of the drill bit is done by moving the selector lever to the lowest position and then turning the chuck by hand. The other two positions give a normal or a percussion setting for masonry.
The switch incorporates a lever to reverse the rotation and pressure on the switch seems to give some control over the speed.
The second forward grip can be re-positioned by twisting the grip.
The only minor problem was a hexagonal depth gauge which is fitted into the forward grip and is adjustable to give an indication of the depth of the hole drilled. This would not fit into the hexagonal slot on the grip until I used a small square file on the plastic to enlarge the slot. I can see this being useful but it does make removal of the bit more difficult once in position.

D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Players Pack
D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Players Pack
Price: 39.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good Start up Pack, 24 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The D'AddarioPlanet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Players pack, includes, 3 sets of XL nickel wound strings, an electric guitar survival guide, NS mini headstock tuner which is handy to carry around, Pro-winder (multi tool for tuning, cutting strings and pulling bridge pins) and a leather guitar strap.

It is useful to both, first-time guitarists and every other guitarist, in that it contains a few essentials such as strings and a steel clipper, but it is mostly aimed at the new guitarists, I found the strings useful for both acoustic and electric, and the mini tuner is very useful as it is small enough so that I could take it anywhere with my guitar,

There are useful tips for maintaining your guitar. Overall I'd say 4 out of 5 because it is very useful to me just starting the guitar. I would recommend it to my friends who have guitars and anyone who has started to learn to play

Managing for People Who Hate Managing: Be a Success by Being Yourself
Managing for People Who Hate Managing: Be a Success by Being Yourself
by Devora Zack
Price: 11.10

2.0 out of 5 stars This is almost " Managing for Wimps", 23 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The immediate and obvious response to the book title is "Don't bother being a Manager do something else".
If like me you have Googled and tried to fit yourself into one of the 16 boxes of MBTI types and failed dont worry.
Having come through the military sausage machine school of management in the 1960's and 70's I could only compare my experiences with the solutions in this book with a good deal of laughter.
I remember being told by my senior ranks there are two ways of achieving this..."My way or the wrong way".
Motivation was usually.."You are useless..what are you.?.it is time you threw a six ?"
It was very easy being a Manager in the military so when you stop receiving salutes and actually have people questioning a decision in civilian life you are unfortunately going to need to carry out some of the methods in this book.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30