Profile for Rev. Peter Simpson > Reviews

Content by Rev. Peter Simpson

Rev. Peter Simpson (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
How Much have Global Problems Cost the World?: A Scorecard from 1900 to 2050
How Much have Global Problems Cost the World?: A Scorecard from 1900 to 2050
by Bjørn Lomborg

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book, 6 Dec 2013
I am enrolled on a course on environment, health and sustainable development and this book has made valuable reading. It is good to look into the future in addition to looking back. The conclusion of the book is far more optimistic than I would have imagined - I hope it is right!

Philips LivingColors Bloom Colour Changing Mood Light White (Integrated 1 x 8 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control)

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for 93 year old mother, 5 Nov 2013
My mother asked for one of these mood lights for her 93rd birthday - to use in her room in a nursing home. She got quite upset at first because she had difficulty using the remote control - has just about got the hang of it, though obviously does not find it easy. She is very pleased when she manages to get the light on.

Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine, 8e
by Parveen Kumar CBE BSc MD DM (HC) FRCP FRCP(Edin)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory textbook, 7 Sep 2013
This book is great value for money. It is clearly laid out and very informative. However, it is far too large to carry around!

Introduction to Epidemiology (Understanding Public Health)
Introduction to Epidemiology (Understanding Public Health)
by Ilona Carneiro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction, 28 Nov 2012
I was brought up on the 1st Edition of the textbook - but was invited to comment (as a student) on this second edition as it was being prepared for publication. The second edition is a significant improvement on the first. I have used quite a few of the texts in this 'Understanding Public Health' series, but to my mind this is certainly one of the best. I particularly like the fact that the text flows so well. With some of the other titles in the series it can be quite frustrating having different chapters written by different authors with different styles - this is not a problem with the Carneiro and Howard text.

It is amazing how much they fit into 170 pages. The text assumes no prior knowledge of epidemiology, but cover many topics to quite a reasonable level, without the pace feeling too fast. The activities and feedback are excellent. Reading this text made me feel quite an authority on the subject - which of course, I am not!

Using Stata for Quantitative Analysis
Using Stata for Quantitative Analysis
by Kyle C. (Clayton) Longest

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 28 Sep 2012
I really wanted to get to grips with Stata - and not simply know how to use it in a cookbook fashion. This book did the trick! It was written at just the right sort of level and taught me a number of useful new techniques. I went through the book very thoroughly, except for the last (optional) chapter.

Bosch Decalcifying Tablets for Coffee Machines and Kettles, 6 Tablets
Bosch Decalcifying Tablets for Coffee Machines and Kettles, 6 Tablets
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the can!, 28 Sep 2012
I was shocked when my Tassimo machine stopped making coffee and demanded a descale! However, I dutifully obeyed, followed all the instructions, and the machine is working happily again.

Bosch T40 TAS4011GB Coffee Maker, Silver
Bosch T40 TAS4011GB Coffee Maker, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffe maker, 6 Feb 2012
I work a lot at home, and have this machine installed in my study - which is one of the upstair bedrooms. It took a while to get used to the machine, and to decide which coffee was best for me. However, I am now a convert! The machine is easy to use and produces an excellent cup of coffee at a very reasonable price (less than 25p a cup). I like the Caffe Crema - it comes out really hot! It has changed my coffee drinking habits at my desk - coffee is now more of a break rather something I constantly drink whilst getting on with my work - I savour the beverage more.

Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie's Great Britain
by Jamie Oliver

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather gimmicky, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Jamie's Great Britain (Hardcover)
I bought this book because it was available at a good price and had been advertised extensively. I found the book weak on content and could find few recipes that I would wish to try. I think Jamie Oliver is past his best by date! There are far better food writers around at present.

Amazon Kindle Zip Sleeve, Charcoal (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive high quality zip sleeve, 26 Dec 2011
My title says it all. I am delighted with the zip sleeve - it is a superb complement to my Kindle. There are no down sides - other than the high price!

New Collegeville Bible Commentary: New Testament
New Collegeville Bible Commentary: New Testament
by Daniel Durken

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study guide, 26 May 2009
I am most impressed with this new commentary on the books of the New Testament. It is pitched at just the right level for me - as I am trained in economics rather than theology! It is scholarly but accessible. A great aid for preaching - I am a permanent deacon. Just the right amount of detail for my purposes. An excellent purchase.

Page: 1 | 2