Profile for CoffeeandCake > Reviews

CoffeeandCake

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Feb. 2016
As described and the larger side fit over my 2cm cupboard door perfectly. Colours are lovely and bright.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: The Complete Radio Series
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: The Complete Radio Series
by Douglas Adams
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully funny, 18 July 2014
I love the books and, almost equally, love the radio series. I have listened to them more times than I probably should.

While the radio series isn't the same as the books it is still equally funny. Highly recommended!

If Looks Could Kill
If Looks Could Kill
by Beverly Barton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but with cumbersome plot devices, 18 July 2014
This review is from: If Looks Could Kill (Paperback)
*warning: contains mild spoilers*

While I didn't enjoy this much as the person who recommended it to me, it was an enjoyable read. It was by no means perfect: I found the characters gender stereotyped, there were too many sex scenes for my liking, and I disliked the use of psychic visions as a means to push the plot (surely there could be less cumbersome ways to get characters from one place to another?). That said, I still found it fairly addictive and I might well read more novels by Beverly Barton in future.

The Comforters (VMC)
The Comforters (VMC)
by Muriel Spark

5.0 out of 5 stars Surreal but wonderfully written, 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Comforters (VMC) (Paperback)
I was in the mood for some Spark's writing and knew that I'd probably like this book. While I wasn't immediately drawn in, the story grow on me the more I read and I ended up enjoying the book more than I thought I would!

It was a slightly absurd, enjoyable read with a dash of metafiction. As Spark did in her story 'The Driver's Seat' (which I'd highly recommend if you haven't read any of her work before), traditionally heavy topics - here of Catholicism and mental illness - are handled with a light, humorous touch. While the plot was surreal, the characterisations and social interactions often made me smile to myself as I recognised the people and situations in my own life. A touch of mystery, romance and mystical elements made for an enjoyable read.

A Cool Head (Quick Reads)
A Cool Head (Quick Reads)
by Ian Rankin

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, crime read, 18 July 2014
This was my first real introduction to Rankin and while I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style - it seemed so simple and direct as to be almost patronising - I know such a short story like this is not going to be representative of the rest of Rankin's writing. Not a fantastic book, but it did the job of entertaining me well enough. I liked it enough to pick up one of Rankin's novels after reading it.

Being Emily
Being Emily
by Anne Donovan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great setting and dialect, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Being Emily (Paperback)
Not at all the usual thing I'd read as I generally stay away from anything too reality-based and serious and hadn't read a coming-of-age type story in a long time, but I was given it as a present and it was a nice change. I know Glasgow and the school of art, so it was really nice to hear the dialect in my head as I read it and to be familiar with the setting. It wasn't a "happy" read (the cover describes it as "tragic", which I think is fitting) but it was well written and kept me engaged.

Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra (Quick Reads 2012)
Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra (Quick Reads 2012)
by Conn Iggulden

4.0 out of 5 stars Antidote to serious crime fiction, 18 July 2014
I was looking for something light and silly and this fits the bill nicely.

If I was writing a university literature review I'd probably talk here about a pastiche of British crime writing and it's context of an economic recession, however Quantum of Tweed takes itself so unseriously it'd be almost scandalous to describe it in those terms.

The story has Albert Rossi, a bumbling, British, middle-aged man as the protagonist and follows him as he changes career from men’s tailor to accidental hitman. If you desire carefully constructed crimes then you will be disappointed as coincidence seems to be the driving force of the plot. As a World Book Day short story it is short and I feel that the ending could have had a bit more time spent on it. Nevertheless, while I wouldn't call it a must-read Quantum of Tweed was a good antidote to 'serious' crime fiction and was a fun story.

The Myth of Mars and Venus: Do Men and Women Really Speak Different Languages?
The Myth of Mars and Venus: Do Men and Women Really Speak Different Languages?
by Deborah Cameron

3.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling gender difference myths, 18 July 2014
I thought I'd enjoy this more than I did. I studied English Language at university and I'm interested in gender differences so thought a book about language and gender would interest me.

It isn't a bad book and is probably worth reading if you previously thought there was a large difference between how men and women communicated, but for someone like me - who is used to more academic books - I wouldn't recommend it.

It wasn't a terrible book, but while the writer complains about how writers talking about differences in men and women's speech don't back their arguments up with facts, I felt that there weren't enough documented studies in this book. I know that finding studies that report 'no differences' aren't often reported, but I would have enjoyed deeper descriptions of the studies that were mentioned. Some of the studies I'd previously read myself, but most people won't have.

The book focused on speech, hardly touched on writing and didn't even mention internet communication as far as I remember. Despite my moans there were interesting parts; for example, I didn't know that in some other cultures women are the ones associated with swearing and directness and it is men lauded for their subtleties of speech.

This is likely a very good book for dispelling untruths about the differences between men and women's communication with some interesting points, but could do with a slightly more structured, academic approach.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 8:25 AM BST

The Black Gang (Unabridged Fiction) (Classic Fiction)
The Black Gang (Unabridged Fiction) (Classic Fiction)
by Sapper
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars 1920s adventure story, 18 July 2014
This is the first Bulldog Drummond story I've read, although it's the second in the series. I didn't know much about the book before I started listening to it so was pleasantly surprised by the story. The best I can describe it as is a watered-down P.G. Wodehouse writing an action packed adventure story.

It wasn't deep or particularly well crafted, but it was entertaining. Not a must-read but enjoyable if you're looking for something to keep you entertained. I'd probably read or listen to others in the series. The narrator of this audiobook was easy to listen to and I'd listen to him again.

A warning contains noticeably sexist, xenophobic and anti-semitic elements. It's of its time in this way, but I know some people would be uncomfortable reading it today.

Tales of the Early World: Unabridged (Penguin/Faber audiobooks)
Tales of the Early World: Unabridged (Penguin/Faber audiobooks)
by Ted Hughes
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's story, 18 July 2014
I had this collection of Ted Hughes creation stories on audio tape as a child and I loved them. I remember finding a few of the stories slightly creepy, but despite this I still enjoyed listening to them and must have listened to this collection repeatedly. I still remember a lot of the stories now! I cannot look at a worm without thinking of it as a tiny elephant trunk searching for more elephant clay.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7