Profile for Kate > Reviews

Parade's End [DVD]
Parade's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
The storyline did not make sense, I did not care about the characters, there seemed to be great chunks missing from the story that you just had to try and fill in yourself. The actors are fantastic, the costumes are lovely - just the actual story is unbelievable and not convincing at all My goodness, for a father who cries at the drop of a hat, there is absolutely no compassion for the son who disappears for episodes on end, only to turn up again as the most important thing in the world all of a sudden. It's a very strange series. I did WANT to love it, but alas it was not to be!

The Clifton House Mystery - The Complete Series [DVD] [1978]
The Clifton House Mystery - The Complete Series [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Sebastian Breaks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little series, 12 Jan 2012
I watched this with my two sons and we very much enjoyed it. Yes, it is a bit dark and shadowy and the kids can come across a bit robotic at times, but the story is genuinely spooky - my boys watched the whole series in a couple of sittings. I do agree with the other reviewer about the music box tune! Once it's in your head you can't get it out. I still think that most children would enjoy this especially if they are into ghost stories. Watch it with the time it was made in mind and you'll be able to overlook it's little imperfections, after all it's the story that counts.

Shadows - The Complete First Series [Series One] [1975] [DVD]
Shadows - The Complete First Series [Series One] [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jenny Agutter

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 3 Jan 2012
I watched this with my 10 year old who was completely enthralled with it. There was only one episode that was completely dreadful - I think it was supposed to be funny, but just didn't fit in with the rest of the episodes. (Dutch Schlitz's Shoes). The rest of the episodes are genuinely spooky or at least have interesting storylines. My son was very taken by some of the ideas - parallel universes, time travel etc. Sparked some interesting discussions after watching. Give the shoes episode a miss but the rest are well worth watching.

Just William - The Complete Series [DVD] [1977]
Just William - The Complete Series [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Adrian Dannatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Jan 2012
My two sons love this...they have watched the series numerous times and still get a good laugh. It's old fashioned, but the stories are so good and really strike a chord with boys. Ignored by his parents, just tolerated by his boyfriend collecting sister and bullied by his frightfully awful and self centred big brother poor William can never stay clean or see the point in doing fractions. There is a lot about this 1920's schoolboy for kids of today to relate to! Just William is just great. I would recommend for 8-12 year olds.

The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD]
The Crimson Petal and the White [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you haven't read the book!, 3 Jan 2012
This is a fantastic production and I very much enjoyed watching it, my only quip is that I feel it could have easily been made into a longer series as so much detail from the wonderful book by Michel Faber is completely left out or left unexplained. If you haven't read the book, then you will enthralled with this. If you have read the book you may be slightly disappointed at the lack of some details - but that always the way isn't it! Still very much worth watching - a great job. Do read the book though!

Eerie Indiana - The Complete Series [DVD]
Eerie Indiana - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Omri Katz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a boring Sunday afternoon, 3 Jan 2012
My 10 year old son and I watched this together and he absolutely loved it. He watched a whole disc in one sitting and is still talking about some of the episodes. It is a little dated in parts, but the stories are good and that is what matters most. My 14 year old watched some it as well but didn't enjoy it as much as my younger son...definately one for younger kids - if they like being spooked that is!