Profile for J. J. Carter > Reviews

J. J. Carter

NETGEAR WNDR4500-200EUS N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
NETGEAR WNDR4500-200EUS N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

1.0 out of 5 stars Troublesome & poor customer service, 29 Nov. 2013
Bought this as a replacement for a BT Homehub 4 as I was hoping for greater range.
This seemed to be the case at first but I was plagued by continual IP conflicts and frequent drop-outs. I eventually set up discreet IP addresses for each of the devices attempting to connect. (This should not be necessary with DHCP) Address conflicts were resolved but not the frequent drop-outs.
The router also mysteriously reset itself (to factory defaults including the original passwords) on three occasions during the three weeks I had the product. The router had to be set up from scratch each time.
First attempt to contact Netgear via live-chat: a countdown showed a wait time of 25 minutes. I waited for this amount of time then received a message to say that no one was available to help me.
Tried email support: response was quick but suggestions were unhelpful, ranging from changing to fixed radio channels (including a suggestion to use one frequency that is not, to my understanding, permitted in the UK) to altering QoS settings. There were a further two emails that contained further unhelpful suggestions, one of which was to downgrade the firmware.
I returned the product to Avides who dealt with this side of things well.
My opinion: it may be sophisticated but it is also expensive and, in my case, was not up to the task. It has a host of software options, none of which are of any value if the basic functions are so unreliable. Have now returned to the Homehub which is very easy to set up and has, to date, performed flawlessly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 7:44 PM GMT

Incase Snap Case For Apple iPhone 4 / 4s - Black (Stand Included)
Incase Snap Case For Apple iPhone 4 / 4s - Black (Stand Included)

2.0 out of 5 stars Obscenely overpriced, 26 Nov. 2011
Nearly twenty pounds for a puny piece of plastic? Absolutely outrageous and more fool me for purchasing this.
It has been replaced already by a beautifully made leather case - that includes a screen protector that also fits brilliantly - for the princely sum of £5.79!!
My advice: it may offer protection but don't buy at this price.

Black Premium PU Leather Flip Case for Apple iPhone 4S / iPhone 4
Black Premium PU Leather Flip Case for Apple iPhone 4S / iPhone 4
Offered by TechDecor UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superb!!, 26 Nov. 2011
I originally purchased a very expensive plastic case (£17) and a separate screen cover that cost £7.97. The former was simply a cheap bit of lightweight plastic and the latter caused no end of trouble trying to attach the screen cover without bubbles, even after six separate attempts. I bought the leather case for my wife - since she tends to sling the iPhone in her handbag and it offers good protection - but was so impressed that I immediately ordered one for myself. Great protection and the (included) screen protector went on in 10 minutes without a single air bubble.
Absolutely superb value for money and very highly recommended indeed. (It also arrived by the next day's post which is impressive too.)

Apple iPhone 4/4S Screen Protector, MediaDevil Magicscreen Crystal Clear (Invisible) Edition - (2 x Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 21 Nov. 2011
No complaints with the service from this company: the protector arrived the day after ordering it. No success the first time so I applied the second protector included in the pack. A large bubble formed down the side so I emailed the company who informed me that this is due to a very thin lip that is almost impossible to see on the 4S. They kindly sent me another pack free of charge but after following instructions very closely - including applying the protector in a steamy bathroom to avoid dust on the screen - I still have an air bubble top left and two bubbles at the bottom of the screen. I emailed the company for the second time but no response of this occasion. This is NOT the first protector I have fitted by any means but it is certainly the most difficult. Sadly I could not recommend this product to anyone, especially at the price.

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys
Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys
by Michael Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring & superb, 2 Nov. 2010
An extraordinarily witty, intelligent and revealing book written with humility and great attention to detail. There is not one page of this book that fails to fascinate; you really can dip in - as the author states in his introduction - and enjoy numerous anecdotes in addition to brilliant descriptions of flying, preparing for space and the Apollo mission itself.
That said, I read this from cover to cover over a very short period. For me the most exciting and stimulating book about flying and the space programme that I have come across. My only regret is not having read this years ago.
Michael Collins turned 80 on 31st October this year: may I wish you a very happy birthday sir!

Area 7
Area 7
by Matthew Reilly

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe, 23 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Area 7 (Paperback)
This book manages to launch an all-out attack on the intelligence of the reader from the word go.

Having read - and enjoyed, to an extent - "Ice Station" - I erroneously assumed that this too would make an enjoyable read. Granted, it may appeal to the feeble-minded or younger teenager, but anyone else should avoid.