Profile for Janet Reader > Reviews

Content by Janet Reader

Janet Reader "tenajme" (Lancashire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kipling Women's Sevrine Backpack Handbag K15311900 Black
Kipling Women's Sevrine Backpack Handbag K15311900 Black
Price: 55.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for everyday or evenings., 22 Jan 2014
I have been a fan of Kipling bags for ten years now. The fabric is washable, durable and most importantly waterproof, definitely a bonus in our temperate climate.
I love the squarer shape of this bag, the price also is a bonus. I have this bag in the lovely deep black colour. Very classy.
The bag is lovely and deep with all the usual pockets and key holder accessories you expect from Kipling.
Like the fact it has handles as well as adjustable shoulder straps, very versatile.
I do feel it would have been better to design this bags with two zips on each compartment but, the popper fastening on one side is still very secure.
I am not a fan of handbags in general, but I now have 5 Kipling bags and would never consider purchasing any other kind of bag.

Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historical Romances Book 4)
Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historical Romances Book 4)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars liked this book, simple, warm, drew me in, easy reading., 21 Jan 2014
This book surprised me. I enjoyed it despite the fact it is a typical love story from the early settler days of Western USA.
The descriptions of sod houses, countryside, crops and the hard life of these first pioneers really drew me in and I found myself really endeared to the many characters in this story.
I didnt find it too sloppy, the clue to the main theme is in the synopsis, yet I enjoyed it. Easy reading with great charm.
Without spoilers - the train railway journey towards the end of this book was far fetched and unnecessary, slightly ludicrous, yet I found this book endearing in spite of myself.
Full of warmth, can almost feel yourself living Mary's life. Recommended for dark winter evenings to give you that feel good factor.

Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - 15 (Christmas Tree)
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - 15 (Christmas Tree)
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to give or receive a gift, 6 Jan 2014
I have bought and received many of these. Always well received. Attach to your amazon account and treat yourself to whatever you like! With such a myriad of things to purchase, they are always a winner.

Kipling Women's Creativity L Purse K1326513K Pink Orchid
Kipling Women's Creativity L Purse K1326513K Pink Orchid

4.0 out of 5 stars large, purse, love the variety of colours, 6 Jan 2014
I have been a fan of Kipling bags for over 10 years, this is my first purchase of a purse.
Larger than expected, will look better when I put more things in it. I love the fabric, washable, bendable. With this purse, you have the option of using it alone, as a small clutch bag, using it as a large purse, or just popping a few coins and keys in, bending it in half and popping it into a smaller clutch bag.
The monkey is, of, course super cute too.
Much cheaper than I have seen on other sites. Will definitely buy another bag and purse, when funds allow.

Where You Stand (Deluxe Limited Edition)
Where You Stand (Deluxe Limited Edition)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.91

5.0 out of 5 stars bought as a present, he loved it, 6 Jan 2014
Bought for my son, he loved it and enjoyed all the special features. Value for money, recommended purchase, for any Travis fan

Here's Looking At You
Here's Looking At You
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, funny, witty, contemporary, really enjoyed it., 6 Jan 2014
There are not enough words to describe how refreshing I found this book. More Please?
The main characters are in their early 30's yet, I could relate to them easily. I didnt find Anna inducing too much sympathy from myself, more empathy and understanding of her situation and admiration for her courage. ( who doesnt remember the faceless numpties, who thought they were IT, from their school days ?)
Althought the main plot line concerns Anna's past, her dealings with James and nerdy Laurence the humour and superb 'one liners' in this book make for a humorous, witty, yet, sensitive read. I found myself laughing out loud in places, especially the trials of dealing with wedding dress shop,owners and all the falsehoods and frippery which so often go with such occasions.
Not often I give a book such a good review, but this book is so different from others, so engaging, yet, not too soppy.
Would definitely buy more books from this author. Highly recommended.

My Dream of You
My Dream of You

3.0 out of 5 stars starts out well then fizzles out, disappointing, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: My Dream of You (Kindle Edition)
The first half of this book is great. You can really engage with Betty and her monstrosity of a mother. Mothers like that were
Commonplace in this era. The close bond between Betty and her cousin is believable and the descriptions of the countryside, horses and local fair really draw you in.
The events in this book were unfortunately all too commonplace, the idea of bringing shame upon ones family was still alive and kicking well into the 1970's so you find yourself really rooting for Betty and wondering how things will work out for her.
This is what makes the first half of the book such a decent read.
Then we reach the second half. Oh dear? What was the author thinking? Did she have a deadline to reach? Was this book ever edited?
Who was Albie? Yes, I know he was Betty's husband, but nothing is written about forty years of her life? What happened to woolly lady? Did lover boy get married, have children, why didnt he turn up earlier? All of this content is brushed aside to a very rapid conclusion.
As for Dida, do not think this reunion would be quite as smooth as it has been made out to be and her life amidst Betty's continual running away and hiding from ner past is not mentioned at all.
Such a shame as the book starts out really well. The second half should be completely re written to give this story the justice it deserves.
Very disappointing, does not encourage me to buy another book from this author.

The Ripening Time
The Ripening Time
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly fast paced, kept my interest to the end., 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Ripening Time (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after reading other reviews as my previous purchases have been a bit of a damp squib.
Found the start a bit tedious, getting to know the characters and basic story line. Unfortunately I could not engage much with main character, his, half dead, placid, laid back attitude was never really explained. ( A constant puzzle to his mother, massive contrast to his father, she blames herself) but why?
His string of girlfriends, but no one special is a bit tedious and is no surprise when he finally gets snared by his wife to be.
Without giving too much away, the writing is on the wall from an early stage as to the 'oddness' of his wife, although, saying this, there are quite a lot of unexpected events in this book which are unusual and interesting.
Although I found myself rooting for him, I also felt irritated with his lacsadasical attitude to absolutely everything.
The book romps on at quite a decent speed, but, the final chapters are, for me, hurried and a lot of loose ends are left dangling.
I would still recommend this book. Unusual events, some interesting characters and you can learn a lot about greenhouses and tomatoes!
Needs tweaking to make it a far more gripping read, again all the way through I was urging the irritating man to 'grow a pair' and I dont mean tomatoes.

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
Price: 2.93

3.0 out of 5 stars long winded start, predictable end. Easy reading, 11 Dec 2013
Would only recommend this book as light reading for winter nights. Could not really engage with either character although the house swap was interesting and in some places fun.
Good description of characters in each location and ' new boyfriend' in Skipley without spoilers - wasn't expecting that!
Found the stereotypical Londoners idea and description of Yorkshire, tedious and, as usual, ill informed.
It may be Yorkshire, but, up North it is not all hills, moors and W.I.meetings! With only middle aged women sorting through bags of clothing for the poor?
The author really should have researched life in rural villages far better.
As mentioned in my title, took a long time to get the story flowing and, I am none too keen on recent authors idea of describing e mail communications with all the e mail addresses before the short communications. Boring and unnecessary.
Maybe it's the authors way of keeping up with the times, but, it is tedious to the reader.
So, end of my review, simple, easy reading, not exactly gripping stuff or memorable.

It Started With A Kiss
It Started With A Kiss
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute dross!, 25 Nov 2013
Where do I start? Without being too long winded, I gave this book only one star because it is too ludicrous for words! As usual I perservered hoping it would improve and become more realistic, to no avail!
It is not the storyline of Romily searching for her mystery man which is too ludicrous, oh no, its the filler in between.
How many gigs, how many 'wonder cakes' can one woman endure? Who cares?
How long can one man wait for our Romily to ' make her decision' and when she does, because there is no 'spark' in their kiss, oh! That's ok, drama over, let's be mates again?
Couldn't care less about aunties wonder cakes, sound checks or advertising jingles. Her only friends are her band mates with whom she works, rests and plays and they never have a cross word? All this dross is just filling to keep you trundling through, rapidly losing interest as to ' will she, or wont she, find her man'.
Without giving too much away, if his sister was her besty mate on the blog and was constantly relating it to her brother, wouldnt he have twigged that it was himself she was wittering about?
Who would advertise her desperate state and gaily trot off to meet any odd ball who answered the ad? " WE are worried about you Romily" what? Not worried enough. Dont offer to go with her, or point out the obvious dangers, just give blind encouragement?
So, there you have it! Surprised it ever got published and if there was an editor involved to point out the obvious anomalies.
Rubbish book, promising start rapidly descending into monotony.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5