Profile for Julian Taylor > Reviews

Content by Julian Taylor

Julian Taylor

Russian Favourites
Russian Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy memories. The cover illustration is not as shown, 30 July 2015
This review is from: Russian Favourites (Audio CD)
Bought for the Tchaikovsky and Rimsky Korsakov items which I originally had on a bargain label Fontana disc in 1959. Happy memories.The cover illustration is not as shown, but never mind.

Beethoven & Brahms: Violin Concertos
Beethoven & Brahms: Violin Concertos
Offered by BestSellerRecordshop

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I did now, 30 July 2015
I have wanted this recording of the Beethoven since it was first issued in 1957, but somehow never got round to buying it. I'm glad I did now.

Day2day 2014 Week to View Slim Executive Diary - Red/Black/Blue
Day2day 2014 Week to View Slim Executive Diary - Red/Black/Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality diary at give-away price, 9 Nov. 2013
This is the perfect diary for me and I have used one for 15 years or so. In recent years it has been increasingly difficult to fin in the shops - not for want of looking. The slightly cheaper version is widely available, but not this one, I wonder why? This has all the features I need in a diary and none of the unnecessary stuff found in more expensive products. One query though, the space for Saturdays and Sundays has been reduced - why? I also miss the lines, which kept reminders, appointments etc tidy. Cost cutting I suppose, but please keep this version going.
Having given up on being able to buy one in a shop I turned to Amazon and found lovely Hedge End Post Office had them in stock and post free! Well done make mine a standing order please!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 2:26 PM BST

Constantin Silvestri - ICON: The Complete EMI Recordings
Constantin Silvestri - ICON: The Complete EMI Recordings

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite complete, 19 Mar. 2013
A must buy for me as I have been a Silvestri fan since hearing him conduct the LPO in Brahm's Symphony no 1 in Watford Town Hall in 1958. Also heard (from outside !) a performance of Elgar no 1 at Salisbury Cathedral in 1968, a magical experience.Don't think he ever recorded the Brahms, but Elgar 1 is/was on a BBC set. Have bought all the odds and ends of his recordings - Testament, Supraphon, Royal Classics, etc over the years so this box is a boon. Not exactly complete, though as various concerto recordings not included, but I suppose as he played second fiddle on these,(oh dear!) they are not totally his performances. Good value for money, as are all the EMI Icon series. Must buy more while they remain available.

P.S. Surely EMI could have found a way of fitting Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony on to one CD - reminds me of playing 78's (ask your grandad).

Yet another PS, Gramophone magazine (April 2013) devotes two pages to this box. Praise, indeed.