Profile for Rosemary Grave > Reviews

Content by Rosemary Grave

Rosemary Grave "Roe" (London, U.K.)

Six Years
Six Years
by Harlan Coben

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Six Years (Paperback)
I'm only about two thirds of the way through this but am finding it hard to put down. I heard the author talking about it on a Book Club which aroused my interest and I've not been disappointed in it. It's the first of his books that I've read. You really do want to turn the page to find out what happens next and the lead character and the whole situation is very gripping. Highly recommended.

Expository Dictionary of Bible Words: Word Studies for Key English Bible Words Based on the Hebrew and Greek Texts
by Stephen D. Renn

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this purchase, 8 Jun. 2014
I cannot give a detailed comment on this book as it was bought as a present, but it was excellent value for money and came recommended by another friend, the recipient seemed very pleased to have it, and from a cursory glance it looked useful and to be just what she wanted.

Black Sheep
Black Sheep
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but well-written short novel from this master of story-telling, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Black Sheep (Hardcover)
As someone who has enjoyed the writing of Susan Hill for many years I can recommend this short novel. The atmosphere of the pit village is well described, the characters believable and the story itself heart-rending but satisfying. I will pass my copy on to a friend to read.

St. Matthew Passion, Vocal Score (New Novello Choral Editions)
St. Matthew Passion, Vocal Score (New Novello Choral Editions)
by Johann Sebastian Bach

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 1 Feb. 2014
Our choir is currently singing the St Matthew Passion using this edition so the purchase was spot on. I also successfully used Dropbox for the first time and can recommend that as a quick and easy way of receiving your purchases

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unforgettable Weekend, 2 April 2009
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
"The Shack is a badly written book". "I would heartily recommend The Shack to all my friends." How can I write two such seemingly contradictory comments about the same book?

The Shack will never win any literary prizes. Its metaphors are forced, it's sometimes heavy handed and didactic in its message, and the first seventy or so pages are so badly written that it's a struggle to get through them. But I would strongly urge you not to give up. If you do persevere and read to the end I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

At some point the power of the story takes over and the book becomes easy to read and hard to put down. Its author has an amazing imagination and, as he charts Mackenzie's growing relationship with God and his coming to terms with what has happened to him and his family - Mackenzie's youngest daughter Missy disappeared on a weekend trip and there's every indication that she was abducted and murdered - we get caught up with the story and enter, with the leading character, into a wonderful world where he spends a blessed weekend that will change his life for ever.

If you find it hard to reconcile belief in a God of love with living in a world of suffering this book provides some compelling answers and much food for thought. Even if you're not interested in the spiritual truths it contains, I'm sure you'll find you keep turning the pages to find out what happens next. And I wonder if the ending will take you by surprise - it did me, but you may be better at guessing what's going to happen.