Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
WMF Wok Spatula
WMF Wok Spatula

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to fault. Very good quality, 14 April 2013
This review is from: WMF Wok Spatula (Kitchen & Home)
The title says it all really. Just check that the dimensions of the spatula end are in line with your requirements. It was wider than I expected, but works fine for me :-)

Sucker Punch (Incl. Extended Cut) [Blu-ray + DVD] [2011] [Region Free]
Sucker Punch (Incl. Extended Cut) [Blu-ray + DVD] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Emily Browning
Offered by Rapid-DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased to have disregarded the critics, 14 April 2013
From the cover of the Blu Ray, a CGI action romp with scantily clad eye-candy, but more likely than not (note I'm not certain!) it's an attempt to subvert the genre - or at least add different layers.

N.B. My comments relate to the extended version.

The acid test - Does the film remain with you ? Would you see it again ? Five stars to each of those. Would you recommend it ? Too polarising to be unequivocal. (and also still - very slightly - a bit too much Hollywood)

So four stars - which equates to 'very good' for me and well worth buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 10:15 PM BST

Celia [DVD] [1989]
Celia [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Rebecca Smart

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film. Poor DVD transfer, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Celia [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I saw this film when it came out at the cinema and loved its originality and evocation of the period and childhood.

So why three stars ? I have around 800 DVDs / Blu Rays and this was the first time I wrote to Amazon to complain about the quality.  The problem is 'jaggies', like the resolution is very low.

Thus for example during the Bar-B-Q around 13:44 the white shirt collar isn't smooth but has 'jaggies'.

My Blu Ray player - Panasonic DMP-BDT500 - is modern and well-regarded and I've not experienced this problem with any other DVDs. I can't understand therefore why the director supposedly approved this digital transfer. (if someone explains how to do so, I can post a photo to illustrate)

Be Healthy and Happy for Pennies a Day - The Miraculous Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

1.0 out of 5 stars Why one star ?, 1 Jan 2013
I hate people who review a product without having read / seen it. However, in this instance I'm going to be one of those people - in order to make a point and perhaps warn others / obtain additional info.
Before writing this review I did though download and read the Kindle sample. Shouldn't a sample try to provide you with an idea of the book? Not in this case, because the sample ends after the introductory disclaimer. Not a great advert for the author's confidence in their book and at £1.93 for a grand total of 19 pages (how many containing useful information?) I didn't feel inclined to humour the author further by buying this 'book'. Am I missing out on something?

Digital Photography for Beginners - The ULTIMATE Guide to Taking Better Pictures with Digital Cameras

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money - too short and out of date, 29 Dec 2012
The title of this review says it all really.
The book is very short, and therefore a very superficial look at key elements of photography; it takes less than 15 minutes to read.
And out of date re choosing a digital camera. For example the author writes "Photographers who plan to print large-sized photo's should purchase a camera with a megapixel of 3MP. Incorrect both grammatically ( A megapixel of 3MP doesn't exist, it should be a camera with a 3MP sensor ? ) and way out of date (when cameras nowadays tend to have a minimum of 10MP).
Returned for a refund.

The Hidden Truth of World War 2 (8-Disc Set) [DVD]
The Hidden Truth of World War 2 (8-Disc Set) [DVD]
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre numbering of DVDs, 8 May 2012
I haven't yet watched this (as still watching The World at War) and will therefore update this review (and rating) later.

However:

1. The DVDs are not numbered in chronological order. Thus Alamein is numbered 1. before the Battle of Britain 2. and, even more amusingly the third disc is Battle of the Bulge i.e. numbered before the fourth and eighth discs 'Breakout from Normandy' and 'Liberation of Paris'. My suggested order of watching (subject to my watching the discs!) is 2, 7, 1, 4, 8, 6, 3, 5 (although 7 and 1 might be reversed).

2. on the back of the cover for disc 3 'Battle of the Bulge' is written that this battle commenced on December 14th 1945. By this date the Second World War was over. The Battle of the Bulge commenced 14.12.1944.

I hope these type of errors are not continued in the programme itself.....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 8:05 PM BST

Snugg iPad 2 & iPad 4 Silicone Case in Black - Non-Slip Material, Protective and Soft to Touch for the Apple iPad 2 / iPad 3 / iPad 4
Offered by TheSnugg

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but ..., 26 Jun 2011
Looks OK and I imagine it would provide a reasonable level of protection against dents if the iPad 2 was accidentally dropped.

However my copy had an unacceptably high smell of chemicals which was not pleasant (and possibly unhealthy). Furthermore, with the back also having the square bumps (not necessary for protection IMHO because it's highly unlikely the iPad would fall just on its back) after a few minutes the iPad is noticeably less comfortable to hold than without the cover.

I very rarely return items but this item was returned, because I can't see myself using it.

Sony NWZA816B 4GB video walkman MP3
Sony NWZA816B 4GB video walkman MP3

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic mp3, 25 Mar 2008
it's the best mp3 ive had.I had a sandisk but it brake in a few months.
my daddy is jalouse.the sound is crystal clear so i would say to you to buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2008 9:41 AM BST

Siouxsie And The Banshees: Nocturne [DVD] [1983]
Siouxsie And The Banshees: Nocturne [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Budgie
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb atmosphere, 22 Feb 2008
I first bought this many years ago on video and recently bought it to re-enjoy its pleasures in better quality. Do I still like it? Absolutely - the rating of five stars provides the answer.
IMHO, I think this is a great concert, superbly well captured. (Some people might say Siouxsie's 'dancing' is a bit mannered and irritating but , on balance, I'm not one of them). It's also interesting to see Robert Smith of The Cure concentrating hard on playing the guitar!
One of the few concerts that can be watched again and again - and the closing song of 'Helter Skelter' is simply brilliant.
As an added bonus, I found that the Special Features section contains a programme that I watched decades ago on television where each member of the band contributes to a separate 'short'. I remember enjoying Siouxsie's contribution - quite chilling - and regretting I wouldn't see it again. Well now I can see it; a Special Feature that's worth seeing.

A Scanner Darkly (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
A Scanner Darkly (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Philip K. Dick

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, 30 Jan 2008
This is one of my three favourite books (the others being 'The Affirmation' by Christopher Priest and 'Leviathan' by Paul Auster). Philip K. Dick wrote a huge number of books - some of which were IMHO very weak (in the sense of being slight nonsense e.g. 'Galactic Pot Healer') and others which are brilliant in their extrapolating of potentially 'present day' situations into fiction which questions reality and so helps to provide perspectives on our existence. Written like this, you might think that this sounds like pretentious nonsense instead of the slight nonsense mentioned earlier. However, books like 'Man in the High Castle' and 'A Scanner Darkly' are eminently and enjoyably readable but contain so much of interest that they can be read again and again. PKD had used hallucinogenic drugs and the majority of his books question reality using the form of Science Fiction. He specifically asked that 'A Scanner Darkly was classified as fiction rather than the sub-category of Science-Fiction, because he wanted it to reach a wider audience. There are no 'bug-eyed monsters' here, unless in imagination - just an undercover cop who, intriguingly is asked to spy on himself. Enjoy and enter into a different milieu!

Page: 1 | 2