Profile for Mrs. D. Taylor > Reviews

Summer Sisters
Summer Sisters
by Judy Blume

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and totally absorbing., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Summer Sisters (Paperback)
You know when you go on holiday and take a book with you to read on the sunlounger? And how the time spent reading the book can either enhance your holiday or be a part of it you'd rather forget? Well for me, reading Summer Sisters was as much a lovely part of Italy as the lakes, the food and the glorious sunshine. Each day I looked forward to relaxing by the pool with this beautiful book almost as much as I did to exploring the stunning towns and countryside around me. I won't go into details of the absorbing story, the delightful characters or the evocative setting that beckons, because it has already been done, but suffice to say this is a book that will remain among my fondest memories for a long time to come.

Made Of Honour [DVD] [2008]
Made Of Honour [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Patrick Dempsey
Offered by Todays Great Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Brigadoon revisited!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Made Of Honour [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Think of 'My best friend's wedding', 'The holiday' and 'Four weddings and a funeral', then add into the mix 'Brigadoon' and you just about have the idea. Oh and chuck in a few cliches and stereotypes and what you have is 'Made of honour'.
Having said all that I enjoyed this film as I just took it on face value and wasn't looking for anything more deep and meaningful. The acting is bright and breezy, there's a pretty good music soundtrack (throw into the mix a bit of vintage Oasis), and the scenery in Scotland is beautiful.
Over all, an OK way to while away a couple of hours.

BaByliss 2775U Big Hair Rotating Styler
BaByliss 2775U Big Hair Rotating Styler

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - why wasn't it invented sooner??, 10 Mar. 2011
I love this hairdryer. Ok, because I have very fine hair and don't like to use styling products, nothing, not even this styler is going to give me 'big' hair, but it does give fabulous results each time. My hair is slightly longer than shoulder-length and rather thin and straight. However, when I use this styler, my hair looks shiny, sleek, and it turns under nicely at the ends.
The styler is simple to use, although it took perhaps 2 or 3 uses to fully get the hang of it. It dries my hair just as quickly as my old conventional hairdryer did, and surprisingly the rotating brush has never got tangled up in my hair.

Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD]
Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and intriguing, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD] (DVD)
I had no pre-conceptions of this film, but if anything, bearing in mind one of the stars in it is Keira Knightly, I would have assumed it to be a light and fluffy romance. I would have been wrong.
Never Let Me Go is an unusual film, absorbing and beautiful. The dark subject matter never allows the film to become depressing, and after watching it, one is left with a mind full of unanswered questions - all the better for leaving the viewer wondering. The story stayed in my mind long after the film was over.

Love and Other Drugs [DVD]
Love and Other Drugs [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Good if you need something to help you sleep., 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Love and Other Drugs [DVD] (DVD)
The worst film I have seen in a long time. It is completely devoid of a story line, the characters are cold and uninteresting, and they all seem to have far too much to say for themselves - all of it dull!
Even the frequent shots of the lovely Jake Gyllenhaal's bare body didn't help redeem this waste of time.

Stolen
Stolen
by Lucy Christopher

4.0 out of 5 stars Appealingly different., 21 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I bought this book last year for my teenage daughter, but a recent drought in reading material made me reach for the book myself. How glad I was. This refreshingly different story is told in the form of an open letter. 16 year old Gemma writes with an aching yearning for her home, her freedom and all that is familiar to her, while also writing with compassion for her captor. The vivid description of her desert surroundings brings the harsh but beautiful landscape to life, along with the insects, animals and vegetation which make up the back-drop to Gemma's new existence. Her struggle to come to terms with her situation, her feelings for her captor, and the narrative telling of her childhood in London, her uneasy relationship with her family and her friends, make for compulsive reading. While this book could easily have been a tale of anger, violence and self-pity, it rises above the expected themes of kidnap, and delivers a tale of love, heartache and acceptance in an alien but beautiful landscape.

by Linwood Barclay

3.0 out of 5 stars Schmaltzy Ending., 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: No Time For Goodbye (Paperback)
No Time For Goodbye

I have to say, I enjoyed this book immensly as a page-turning sun-bed read. My only real critisism is the last page. What a load of rubbish. You'd have to read the book to understand what I mean, but basically, we are supposed to believe that after her 14 year old daughter is dragged home stinking drunk after sneaking off out to 'go parking' with the local bad boy, the mother writes her a soppy letter all about how much she loves her, and that even after she (the mother) is dead she'll always be watching over her. Yeah right! What I find even harder to believe is that no other reviewers have picked up on this, the one thing that ruined the whole book for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2008 11:45 AM BST