Profile for RobertP > Reviews

Content by RobertP

RobertP (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Dell U3415W 34-Inch IPS LCD Monitor (2M:1, 300 cd/m2, 3440 x 1440, 8ms, HDMI/MHL/Mini DP/DP/USB) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive monitor, 25 Mar. 2015
Bought from Amazon when the constantly varying price was at a lower level so pleased with the cost as well as the performance. It is an A01 version. I've yet to notice a faulty pixel and I don't go looking for things like backlight bleed so have not seen a problem there either.

I don't understand the review criticising the gaming performance. I've been playing FPS games online and not noticed any lag. maybe I'm not good enough to see it or maybe there is no problem. What it is though is immersive. the wide aspect means you feel like you are in the game rather than just looking at a screen. Frame rates with a r9 290x card in the games I play are passable at full resolution and look great.

It has replaced a 2 monitor set up and even though I have a few less pixels in width the 1440 height just makes it feel like more desktop area than before.

Lightroom has so much working area now. You don't realise what extra options the desktop space gives you until you have it. I have edited a number of pictures to crop them to 3440 1440 aspect for desktop backgrounds and the full screen images look stunning and show details I would never have noticed before without zooming in.

The curve is subtle and sitting in front of it hardly notices. I can't imagine it would have mattered if it was flat instead.

It comes in a big box with a 'team lift' sticker on it. It is heavy but not that heavy! The packaging is a work of cardboard art and opens in a way that is easy to lift the screen out. The stand clicks in place without needing tools and is very secure.

I used the supplied mini displayport to displayport cable. The monitor has mini and standard inputs so as my card has displayport out I used the mini on the monitor. At first power on it did not auto switch to mini input - it just said no displayport input. Took a few seconds to realise I was using mini and needed to use the menus to switch input. No problem after that. Win 7 started off at full resolution and the monitor stays on the selected input.

Probably the best thing about it so far is it just makes me smile looking at pictures in a new way.

SEBO 6629ER 3 L Ultra Bags, Suitable For All K Models - Box of 8
SEBO 6629ER 3 L Ultra Bags, Suitable For All K Models - Box of 8

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasts for ages, 26 Sept. 2013
What can you say about a vacuum bag? These are made of jcloth type stuff and seem to let plenty of air through right up until they are rammed full so no loss of suction. Seems to go a long time before it needs changing.

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Red
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Clicks a bit loud, 26 Sept. 2013
Only been in use about a month but still working OK and never turned off.

The sound of clicking seems to carry across the room well so a little on the loud side.

This is our second tecknet mouse. First one failed after 9 months (bought elsewhere not Amazon). I contacted Tecknet for repair/replacement and they responded well. Cost me the postage to send it back but got a replacement no problem. So I have 2 of these now even though the one I sent back was a different model with short battery life.

Tucano USA Second Skin Script Microfiber Sleeve For MacBook, 13.3" Color: Gray
Tucano USA Second Skin Script Microfiber Sleeve For MacBook, 13.3" Color: Gray
Offered by OneWayNetStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits a samsung 740 ultrabook, 26 Sept. 2013
Tried one of these cases on a 13.3 samsung ultrabook in Currys so I knew it would fit but didn't like the price there.

The sleeve has suede like feel to it and is slightly stretchy and you can feel it slide a little on the laptop inside as you carry it. Not a problem but does make you aware the skin itself is quite thin.

there is a pocket edge one side of the zip that keeps the laptop in when the zip is open. I can't see how the zip would rub the laptop because there are rubber filled cords under the zip each side that protect the laptop edges inside but the 'pocket' would ensure the zip never touches the laptop if you were worried about scratches. I rarely stretch the pocket over the laptop.

The case comes with a microfibre cloth and thats proved useful for wiping the touchscreen.

So, great fit, good edge protection but feels thin on the sides but as I wanted to end up with a slim case it's fine.

Arctic Freezer 13 Pro CPU Cooler
Arctic Freezer 13 Pro CPU Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and Quiet, 15 April 2012
Had a long wait for this cooler. Original apparently lost in the post so wait was for a replacement for the lost one.

Anyway after looking at the rest of the parts for a week I got to put it together. This freezer Pro 13 dwarfs the pro 7 that I had on the previous build.

the fixing method is similar to the 7. I have read of complaints about the fixing kit but I had no problems with the 7 and this one fitted easily too and seems pretty secure.

The big fan runs quite slowly when controlled by the bios and is therefore pretty quiet. I had CPU fan error come up a couple of times during the first week. There is a setting in the bios for the minimum fan speed before it sees it as an error and it was set at 500 rpm. I changed it to 300 rpm and no errors since.

I have not overclocked my i7/ Asus P8Z68-V PRO with this cooler yet but it runs cool when video rendering so I can't see any problem when I do. Size and efficiency for the price I'd buy again.

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module)

4.0 out of 5 stars On board sound problems, 9 Mar. 2012
I installed this board along with a i7 2600k and 16G of corsair ram into my case and fitted my Radeon HD6870 graphics card. Booted fine and installed win 7 64bit.

My surround sound speakers were connected and I could hear feint sounds coming from them. Kind of like a low electronic chattering from a quiet modem. Open a program like firefox and move the window around the screen and it squeaked. Scroll the window contents and it sounded like a wet finger across glass! sound was from speakers and front headphone socket.

I checked all drivers were up to date and updated the bios all to no effect. Searching google was difficult because of the vague search terms but I did find some results and no cure was obvious. I returned the board to Amazon for replacement and as expected they were good as gold getting me a replacement in a couple of days.

Of course the replacement did the same thing :(

I removed the graphics card and used the onboard video - no interference sounds. I dug out an old Nvidea 8800 card and that made noises from the speakers but much quieter.

Solution was more old hardware. I dug out an old soundcard and used that instead of the onboard sound - perfect sound with no noises. having searched google some more I found others that had resorted to the same solution and noticed most of them had radeon cards. The other thing that was said to cause sound issues was an old version of the USB 3 driver but that was not my problem.

power supply is a good one and it plus the graphics card were used before this upgrade with an asus P5k board with no issues to onboard sound.

posting this in case it helps someone else with the same problem, not complaining.

I've never had a problem with Asus before so I'd buy again in future.

5 stars to Amazon 4 to Asus.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2012 2:47 AM BST

Trend RTI/PLATE Router Table Insert Plate
Trend RTI/PLATE Router Table Insert Plate
Offered by tools247

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 29 April 2010
This is the only router plate I've bought so can't say how it compares to others.

Firstly flatness isn't an issue. It may be slightly domed but seems very flat when in use and the work piece slides across it easily. It drills and countersinks easy enough for fitting your router but smells bad whilst you are drilling it :)

The insert rings fit a bit too well. They need a lot of force to remove them. So much force in fact that if you lever them out with a screwdriver you will dent the edge of the hole from the pressure. I've sanded off some of the retaining lip in one place and marked that point so i know where to lever and remove without damaging the ring.

The only other 'problem' is there is a fine moulding flash line around the edge of the plate. I routed a perfect fit recess for the plate. trying the plate for fit the flash line barbed on the hole edge and damaged the melamine surface when removing the plate :( . So if you have a good fit recess to put it in sand off the flash line first!

Don't worry about the printing looking a bit naff as it rubs off fast.

In use it now works fine and I have a much better router table than the B + Q thing I was using.

Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards )
Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards )

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fast!, 7 Mar. 2010
I can only agree with the other reviews - this is one fast card reader.

I have a Sandisk CF reader that I use for travelling. I used to think it was the laptop speed that meant it too so long to get files off of the card.
Having bought some new large and fast cards I thought I'd better look into card readers. This one is nearly 10 times as fast as the Sandisk imagemate.

I have a newer Sandisk 12 in 1 type reader on my main PC and this Lexar is significantly faster than that reader too.

Transcend 16 GB 400x CompactFlash Memory Card TS16GCF400
Transcend 16 GB 400x CompactFlash Memory Card TS16GCF400

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than a sandisk ultra 30Mb/s, 7 Mar. 2010
Having got this card I thought I'd do a simple test to see how fast it reads and writes.

Using a Lexar UDMA usb card reader I copied 3.4Gb of files to it from my hard drive.

Writing to the card took 2 minutes 37 secs.

Reading the files back to the hard drive took 1 minute 50 seconds.

I also have a new 8Gb Sandisk ultra 30Mb card. The same files took 2m 47sec and 2min 17sec for writing and reading back.

The only thing slow about this card was the delivery wait which was on the last day of the 'estimated delivery dates'

Sony ECM-MSD1 Stereo Microphone For Cold Accessory Shoe
Sony ECM-MSD1 Stereo Microphone For Cold Accessory Shoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 7 Mar. 2010
I saw a previous review that said this worked OK with a Canon 5D mk2 so I bought one for my camera.

It is reasonably small and mounts nicely in the cameras hot shoe. I can now use IS lenses and not hear them in the recorded video.

There is a small button battery (LR44) under a twist cover at the back. If you leave it switched on for a long time the battery goes flat and the mic obviously will not work. In front of the on/off switch is a small LED window. The LED blinks as you turn it on to show the battery has some life in it then stays off. It's a bit hard to see that blink so sometimes you are recording and hoping it is working. New firmware for the 5D2 is supposed to include sound level meters on screen so that problem should be solved for me when it comes out.

Biggest negative is that little switch. It is so easy to just forget about it and leave it turned on. Bought 20 batteries from ebay for a couple of pounds as my memory seems quite bad!

The mic is plugged straight into the camera. No separate recording device used. Sound quality is reasonable. Not taken it out in the wind yet to see how well the included foam cover works.

Page: 1 | 2