Profile for Mijo > Reviews

Content by Mijo

Mijo

The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)
The Safe Word (The Eleanor Raven Series Book 1)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 April 2014
Very good story, well crafted, well written and manages to be really funny as well at times. Just two things - I would like to know a little bit more about Eleanor and it can do with a bit of proofing re punctuation and stuff like that (occupational hobbyhorse for me I'm afraid). Looking forward to more from this writer!

Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: 419 (Kindle Edition)
Takes you into another world, or several, rather. Exquisite language - loved everything about this book and want to read more of this author!

Dregs
Dregs
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars How on Earth?, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dregs (Kindle Edition)
I find this novel unbelievably dull, disjointed and completely uninteresting in every way. None of the characters are outlined in any way that makes them engage with you. I think I read one review comparing Wisting to Mankell's Wallander. I have no idea why. I realise this sounds harsh but I did have some hopes for this book considering the good reviews, and I just cannot understand how people like it at all. It could be the abominable translation (I am Swedish but even I can tell quite often what the Norwegian original would have expressed and how clumsy the translation of it is), but I have really considered this and I'm sorry but the old saying stands: Rubbish in begets rubbish out. I am only 33% in and this is how much it's annoyed me with it's woodenness, faulty grammar and complete lack of any spark whatsoever. I wouldn't bother - there are some amazing Scandi crime writers and as far as I'm concerned this is hobbling somewhere way back hoping to jump on the bandwagon...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2013 5:06 PM BST

The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
The Leopard: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 6)
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Translation spoils it, 25 Sep 2011
This low score may be unfair - the book in Norwegian may be very good but the abominable translation into English has made it impossible for me to even finish the thing. If Mr Nesbo is such a rising star, surely his publisher could spend some money on quality translations? A Scandi (and translator) myself I can often make out what the original text would have been, and how it's often been translated word by word, without any feeling or fluency. Example: In Scandinavia we say "Stör jag?", a common phrase which could be translated with something like "Am I interrupting?" or "Sorry to bother you, but...". English people do not say "Do I disturb?".
The only thing disturbing me here is the quality of the translation, so much so that I don't even feel able to judge the quality of the story itself. It's a shame.