Profile for Kathryn > Reviews

Content by Kathryn

Kathryn "headinabook" (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom)

The Forty Rules of Love
The Forty Rules of Love
by Elif Shafak

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 4 Aug. 2013
A friend sent me this from Turkey, and yet again she has given me an amazing book to read. I'm not a religious person, but i found the rules as they were written in each chapter incredibly spiritual, and i want to go back and write the, all down to remember them. I loved the way the story of Shams and Rumi is written from the perspectives of the many players in the tale, and this was the part of the book I enjoyed most, and in fact found the story of Ella a bit of a waste and wanted to skip it to get to what seemed to be the most important part of the book.

Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Gamache)
Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely paced investigation, 27 July 2011
A friend gave me this book as a present when I visited Canada recently, to give me an introduction to Canadian authors and books.

I really enjoyed this book. It has echoes of Inspector Morse, a nice slow paced murder investigation, with plenty of explanation of the inspector's thought processes, and no jumps in plot, as some books have and leave you thinking "how did we get here? did I miss something?" I found the main characters very well described, easy to picture and easy to like, and I liked the relationships the author has built between the key players.

I did get slightly confused by the 3 different plots running alongside each other, as there were no real links between the three, but as long as I took my time, it wasn't a problem, and this wasn't a book you wanted to rush anyway.

As I had also just visited Quebec City, I loved being able to picture where Inspector Gamache spent his time.

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

5.0 out of 5 stars Faites Simple!, 25 Oct. 2010
It is SO simple as Mireille explains. Every woman should read this book and understand the principles she lays out. Yes, it's obvious, but if it is so obvious, how come there are so many fat women out there? For me, it just reinforces everything I've learned at weightwatchers, and I will keep this book and keep reading bits of it when I need a kick to keep my weight right.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful story, 15 Mar. 2010
I bought this thinking it would be good, even though I had read a couple of poor reviews. I am so pleased I did!

It is a beautiful story, told completely in letters. It is emotional on many levels - sad, happy, romantic, and disturbing at times when it talks about the war, and the odd smile when Miss Addison sticks her oar in!! It's not particularly exciting, but a lovely, quiet, gentle story that kept me gripped. Its a real rainy afternoon read!

I didn't know what happened in Guernsey during the war, and this book gave such a pitch on it, I was so moved. I know people have said it isn't much about the literary society, but I felt that this was the whole point - the literary society was a vehicle for pulling together a group of people who worked and lived together, supported each other during incredibly hard times, and became a strong group of friends.

The only thing that didn't really fit was the OScar Wilde letters, but the rest of the book was so lovely, I'll forgive them that.

Mahjongg (Nintendo DS)
Mahjongg (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Mar. 2009
I've played lots of mahjongg on the PC, so was really looking forward to playing one of my favourite games on my DS. BUt I was really disappointed. There was no challenge to most of the games, it was all way too easy. The only games that requires some thought to work it out is the conquerer game, which I do enjoy. Apart from that, I wouldn't have bothered

What Came Before He Shot Her (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 14)
What Came Before He Shot Her (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 14)
by Elizabeth George

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story - I want to know what happens next, 7 April 2008
As a big fan of the Lynley/Havers books and disappointed by her previous attempt to move away from these two as the main characters in a book, I started this with a little wariness, but was soon totally absorbed. The characters are in the main well set up, although some could do with a little more development. Joel was such a sympathetic character and it was frustrating at times the decisions that he took that got him to his final destination - you just knew at times, if he did something different, it would all turn out right.
This is not a world or community I am familiar with in real life, but the descriptions appeared to be strong, and gave a real sense of the issues that the communities like this can face
I loved the way she kept it linked in to With No-one as Witness, with the serial killings in the background, and brought into the plot at one point. I want to know what happens next - maybe she will do a book to take us upto and through the trial.

Night Watch: A Discworld Novel
Night Watch: A Discworld Novel
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker but still un-put-down-able, 5 May 2004
This latest novel to be set in Ankh-Morpork is much darker and more serious than earlier novels, as the author appears to move further away from his earlier more slapstick style. It is a style development that has crept in over recent books, especially where Sam Vines is involved. That doesn't mean however that it is less engrossing. Sam Vines gets pulled through to another world with a very sinister character. There, he confronts himself as a young watchman, and has to try to catch his criminal, without impacting on the future of his world. There are lighter touches, in the Unseen University for example, and we do see some of the regular characters in their earlier days with their usual quirks and oddities, but overall, there is much less humour and much more suspense and plot than before. Absolutely brilliant! As much as I enjoy giggling along to some of his books, I could not put this down, and was left feeling very flat after I had finished it! I'm looking out for the next one.