Profile for KRIS > Reviews

Content by KRIS

KRIS (Earlsdon, Coventry, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
ENCYCLICAL LETTER LAUDATO SI': On care for our common home: Green encyclical on the environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for the whole planet, 20 July 2015
Pope Francis writes to every person on the planet. This is the only time that a Pope has ever addressed an encyclical to all the world. He tells us that this is our world and our actions and the way we consume the earth's resources are destroying it.
There are still Climate Change deniers out there, there were people who continued to believe that the earth was flat long after it was proved to be round, perhaps they're related!
We need to read this more than once, as Citizens, as Inhabitants and as People of Faith- and we all have faith in something even if it is not God.
So, buy it, read it and spread the message!

Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers (The 44 Scotland Street Series Book 9)
Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers (The 44 Scotland Street Series Book 9)

4.0 out of 5 stars Get out of that one, 3 Jun. 2015
Best 44 Scotland Street novel to date.
Looking forward to the next one in the series

Dangerous Place, A (Maisie Dobbs Mystery Series)
Dangerous Place, A (Maisie Dobbs Mystery Series)
by Jacqueline Winspear

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from JW, 21 May 2015
JW continues to develop the character of MD and in a very different way in her latest novel. A good plot with some interesting twists and turns. It will be fascinating to see what happens next as we approach the second world war, I just hope that we don't have to wait another 15 months to find out.

Popular Problems
Popular Problems

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album for a man in his eighties, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Popular Problems (Audio CD)
Amazing album for a man in his eighties, he is now in need of the backing vocals to carry him a bit, but his lyrics are still so good.

Trains and Lovers: The Heart's Journey
Trains and Lovers: The Heart's Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars this is every bit as good, his characterisation is as sharp as ever, 22 Oct. 2014
A very enjoyable read. It shows A.M-S's versatility. I have read books in all of his series, especially enjoying the 2 series based in Edinburgh, this is every bit as good, his characterisation is as sharp as ever.

What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets
What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets
by Michael J. Sandel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 6 Sept. 2014
I have rarely been as disappointed by a book in all my life (60 years) as this one.

If I had known (and maybe this is my fault) that it was written by an American with ONLY American examples I would never have bought it, so if you don't like Baseball, American "Football", Basketball or (Ice) Hockey definitely do not bother to read it.

In the midst of all the sporting garbage (and I AM very much a sports fan, for English sport) he makes a few good points about what should and should not be available for sale - someone's kidney for example, moral dilemmas abound.

Caveat Emptor!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2015 12:23 PM BST

Malvern Murders
Malvern Murders

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Malvern Murders (Kindle Edition)
Sadly, one of the poorest books I have ever read.

Anker Synthetic Leather Case Cover for Kindle Paperwhite with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for New 2014 2013 2012 Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 6" 3G / Wi-Fi + 3G - Simple & Lightweight - Brown [18-Month Warranty]

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but, 26 May 2014
Case is fine, but the magnet has already come out!

This should not happen to something which is brand new, poor workmanship.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 3:44 AM BST

Life After Life
Life After Life
by Kate Atkinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
I have read all of Kate's Jackson Brodie novels and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Having read Emotionally Weird some years ago and not liked it, I thought it was time to give another non JB book a try, I wish I hadn't bothered

Voyageur
Voyageur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lyrics, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Voyageur (Audio CD)
Kathleen was new to me having heard only one track, very enjoyable.

I will definitely be buying more of her work

Page: 1 | 2