Profile for J. Aitken > Reviews

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil... write more!, 4 Feb 2014
Can someone lock Neil into a room with all his favourite things and not let him out till he's written many many books? Please? Thank you Neil gaiman for another superbly written yarn :)

Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
by Rudy Simone
Price: 12.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 4 Feb 2014
I'm a UK parent of a newly diagnosed asperger teen. This book is good though I'd like a UK version... and I was distracted by the rather 'traditional' gender roles seeping through. Dad fixing car, mum cooking etc. Tried to get past that and access the valuable, experiential information underneath.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 10:28 AM BST

Steelheart (Reckoners 1)
Steelheart (Reckoners 1)
Price: 5.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, read this one too., 4 Feb 2014
Nothing has surpassed the mistborn for me yet but his worldbuilding is so convincing and his storytelling is excellent. Good length, good characterisation, satisfying conclusion.

Arc (Deluxe)
Arc (Deluxe)
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius band, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
Fantastic live - and the album isn't overproduced and doesn't lose the raw musical quality they bring to every tune they create.

Seed Of Wonder (Acoustic)
Seed Of Wonder (Acoustic)
Price: 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for those passionate about... music, 4 Feb 2014
Jesca Hoop - how is she still relatively unkown? Musical genius, beautiful, fragile, hugely creative. Listen to the Complete Kismet acoustic album and the new 'Undress'.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Price: 5.31

1.0 out of 5 stars Five stars reviews - how??, 4 Feb 2014
I wanted Terry Pratchett, and I wanted good writing - this book satisfied neither desire.The novel is just badly written. It is quite simply difficult to read. Yes, I have high expectations (although Snuff was also a large step down from the dizzy heights of TP's glory) but I can be objective. It is a slow, poorly edited book and I cannot see that the five star reviewers could have missed this... it makes me question the review system on Amazon I'm afraid.

The Tied Man
The Tied Man
Price: 2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more., 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Tied Man (Kindle Edition)
Oh, the skill of the gifted storyteller.

Very clever writing. Especially given that there's a character called Blaine and I didn't initially even want to like Lilith the protagonist... but damn you Tabitha McGowan. I couldn't desert her.

I have never actually written a book review for Amazon before - never been moved to. My good book requirements are: Literary richness in an economically poetic style that engages both intelligently and emotionally. (or, damn I need to read this start-to-finish now)

Damn, I needed to read this book start-to-finish. Its an excellently paced, credible tale with not too many twists but plenty of colourful, unpredictable turns throughout the finely conceived plot development. And a worthy finale.

Can't wait for the next.

The Gadget Book: How really cool stuff works
The Gadget Book: How really cool stuff works
by Chris Woodford

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 10 Dec 2009
This looked great but is a book for kids, not adults. Lots of good pictures but only really captions to go with them - nothing is really investigated in any detail.