Profile for Desdemona > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Joseph Joseph Cut and Carve Plus Chopping Board, Large - Putty
Joseph Joseph Cut and Carve Plus Chopping Board, Large - Putty

4.0 out of 5 stars Chopping in hope ......, 16 April 2014
Quick delivery, thanks. Replaces the previous one and I hope has a better finish, as it is the only I can find in this particular shape which is so useful. The previous one started to mark almost as soon as I started to use it, and rapidly became heavily scored and consequently held stains, etc. Hoping that this one has been improved. It is, after all, a "chopping" board so you need to be able to chop on it.

The Glitter and the Gold
The Glitter and the Gold

3.0 out of 5 stars A museum piece, 5 Feb 2014
This is an interesting book, not because of what it says about the author (which is very little) but because of what it actually is. Important to realise the date it was written, and the nature of the person writing it. It gives a fascinating insight into the world of very high society at the beginning of last century and makes one realise how totally the world has changed. Most of the attitudes and mores of the time will be incomprehensible and inexplicable to to-day's younger generation, and will probably raise blood-pressure rates among the liberally- or socialist-minded! It is also a pleasure to read the prose, which again is of it's time, but so beautifully constructed that it is a joy to read.

Not, perhaps, everyone's cup of tea, but if you are interested in social history it rings bells on several levels.

Bellini - Norma
Bellini - Norma

5.0 out of 5 stars Far and away the best Norma, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bellini - Norma (Audio CD)
This is such a fabulous recording that when I found my old version of it was damaged and it was no longer on the current catalogue, I nearly freaked out. I had to pay well over the odds for this one, but it was worth it. The casting is sensational, and Caballe's exquisite "Casta Diva" still raises the hairs on the back up of my neck.

Dead Water: (Shetland series 5)
Dead Water: (Shetland series 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Shetland stories please, 29 Jan 2014
I do love Ann Cleeves' "Shetland" series, and I do hope we are going to get more of them. Well written, well plotted they conjure up absolutely the place where they are set.

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Jan 2014
I hesitated over this novel, because I tend to avoid books that are currently "fashionable", but I am so glad I decided to buy it. It is a wonderful, wonderful book; quietly telling the story of an ordinary man who lives by and stands by his own beliefs. I was reminded of Gray's Elegy: "Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife, Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray; Along the cool sequester'd vale of life They kept the noiseless tenor of their way." It is sad in parts, humourous in others, and overall it is gently uplifting and so very beautifully and elegantly written that I wish I could produce prose like that.

An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo
An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 29 Jan 2014
I remember this whole scandal very clearly, and I lived in the part of London where much of it took place. It is fascinating to read the true wider background, and the political machinations that brought it all about. We were very naïve in those days, and the media did not comment and fill in the details as they do nowadays (I believe that D-notices were probably still in force preventing it). The sex scandal bit sounds dreadfully dated, but it is reassuring to know that politicians were just as devious and self-serving in those days.

The Alexandria Quartet: Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive, Clea
The Alexandria Quartet: Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive, Clea

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't get into it., 29 Jan 2014
I've thought for decades that I should read this quartet, so I ordered it for my Kindle. I've started the first part, but I'm finding it irritating, mannered and completely self-obsessed. I think it must be a reflection of the times when it was written, and I shall have another try, maybe in a few months, but for the moment it's not for me.

5 x 60cm Yuzet Soft Rubber Buckle tree ties Heavy Duty
5 x 60cm Yuzet Soft Rubber Buckle tree ties Heavy Duty
Offered by Pantiles Nurseries Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my Ceanothus, 29 Jan 2014
I thought my husband's favourite ceanothus was a goner when it blew over in the recent high winds. I managed to straighten it up, and stamp the roots firmly back into the ground, but needed to fix it firmly to the fence. These ties are perfect, and have a very simple and highly effective method of holding exactly where you want them as you tighten up the buckle. Definitely recommended.

The Waste Land and Other Poems
The Waste Land and Other Poems
by Frank Kermode

4.0 out of 5 stars Eliot re-discovered, 29 Jan 2014
A chance quotation in a book nudged me to look again at Eliot's poetry, which I haven't read for decades. This "slim volume" is a perfect re-acquaintance, without being too daunting. I remembered how I loved the poetry, and am finding new meaning this time around. Maybe I'll move on to more of it. Thank you.

Princess Margaret
Princess Margaret

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but one small irritation, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Princess Margaret (Kindle Edition)
I haven't finished the book yet, but I am enjoying it, mainly to read about the things that we weren't told at the time. I vividly remember Margaret and Townsend, and her marriage to Armstrong-Jones. She was so very beautiful. And the press was both respectful and regulated by D-notices and the like, so the true stories were never told. However, there is one small niggle. This book was published in 2013, 11 years after Margaret's death, and yet time and again the author refers to her and her views in the present tense, as if she were still alive. This brings me up short every time and I am finding it irritating. Otherwise, lively and easy to read.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 5:21 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7