Profile for carole mac > Reviews

Content by carole mac

carole mac

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dated, 2 Sept. 2013
Having read a review in the Sunday Times I expected a great classic read. I was disappointed. It was wordy, boring and so immersed in academia that unless you have a working understanding of that world you simply won't get it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 2:07 PM GMT

Truth
Truth

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Aussie writer, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Truth (Kindle Edition)
Peter Temple really captures both the Aussie lingo and the character of the people. Immensely readable and as usual he doesn't disappoint with the storyline.

Living Years
Living Years
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars So poignant, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Living Years (Audio CD)
It contains some of the best music of this era. The title song in particular has the most evocative and meaningful lyrics ever.

Through Gilly's Eyes: Memoirs of a Guide Dog
Through Gilly's Eyes: Memoirs of a Guide Dog

4.0 out of 5 stars A different view, 2 Sept. 2013
My son has a Guide Dog and although this is the American version of the whole Guide Dog process, it is a very interesting insight, especially from the dog's viewpoint. Essential reading for anyone involved with a visually impaired person.

The Perfume Collector
The Perfume Collector

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice period piece, 2 Sept. 2013
Didn't quite live up to my expectations, but a nice little story nontheless. A good holiday read, very easy reading.

Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)
Phantom: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor old Harry, 5 Feb. 2013
Can't help loving this character despite all his flaws. Another cracking Nesbo yarn which paints a very dark picture of the druggie underworld which Harry can't help geting involved in.

11.22.63: Kindle Enhanced Edition
11.22.63: Kindle Enhanced Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost his way, 13 Dec. 2012
The basic premise for this novel sounded terrific and I loved the idea that someone could travel back to the past and actually change history, however I felt that he lost his way and became bogged down with small town life in America in the 50's.

I almost gave up on the book half way through but persevered and was pleasantly surprised with the ending. That said I can't rate the book and would only recommend to hard core King fans.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle review from a skeptic, 16 Oct. 2011
The first Kindle I saw was whilst on holiday on a Greek island; I thought 'what a good idea, not having to lug all those books in my case'. On reflection I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me as it couldn't replace the feel and smell of a book in my hands. As we live in France there are certain obstacles to obtaining English language books to say nothing of delays and cost and over the course of the following year they became more and more apparent.

A young friend bought a Kindle and raved about it, my daughter in law likewise and this year I succumbed - more to the point my husband succumbed and bought it for my birthday.

I love it. It's as simple as that. The ease of use, the convenience of buying instantly - what's not to like?