Profile for J.F.Penn > Reviews

Content by J.F.Penn

J.F.Penn "Author of thrillers on the edge" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest, useful relationship book for making any relationship better, 4 Mar. 2013
An intimate look inside Brad & Amy's life, this book contains all kinds of brilliant, practical examples of ways to make a relationship work. I am very happy in my marriage but I want to be for a long time, so understanding the problems other people go through can help. I like the monthly life dinner idea, and the getting away from it all. I love the honest of the book, about acknowledging what the other person needs. This book is actually relevant for any working couple.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book. Engrossing and moving., 4 Mar. 2013
I loved this book and I'm recommending it to everyone! Hazel meets Augustus at a cancer support group - as two teenagers they don't expect to have much life and as the roll call is read, they see their future in early death. With such a premise, this could be a depressing book, but it's more about a triumph of love and living despite the threat of death hanging over our heads. There are some wonderful discussions on the meaning of disease and dying and through Hazel's eyes we get to understand a little of their experience. This book is needed and although Green is a "YA" author, I think all ages would benefit from reading it. Beautiful, harrowing, special. Thanks John.

Making Tracks: A Writer's Guide to Audiobooks (and How to Produce Them)
Making Tracks: A Writer's Guide to Audiobooks (and How to Produce Them)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 'how to' book for anyone interested in getting into audio, 4 Mar. 2013
With audio a growing market, it can be difficult to fathom all the complexities of hardware, software, studio setup and editing as well as how to actually read or produce an audiobook or podcast. Dan Sawyer has many years experience producing his own audiobooks and helping others and he brings that knowledge to this book in order to help us authors break through the difficulties. This book will help you understand how the process works, as well as how to do it yourself or hire professionals to help you. It's a fantastic investment in understanding how to exploit audio-rights. A must-read for every author-entrepreneur.

Oxford Whispers
Oxford Whispers

4.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of Oxford with a hint of the supernatural, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Oxford Whispers (Kindle Edition)
A painting of a wounded Cavalier is the inspiration for this book and the story weaves itself between 17th century England and modern day Oxford, where student Madison LeBon finds herself entwined in a lover's tragic tale. With supernatural abilities inherited from her voodoo family, Madison has to battle with the intrusions of the past into her Oxford world and her own passion for a new love.
I loved reading about Oxford and Croslydon skillfully intertwines the past and present. Fans of Deborah Harkness will enjoy.

Watchers
Watchers

4.0 out of 5 stars Friendship, loyalty and good triumphing over evil., 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
Travis Cornell goes hiking in the woods, depressed and ready to finish his life, empty as it is. But as he walks, he meets a golden retriever who defends him from unseen evil. Running together, Travis realizes that the dog is intelligent beyond anything natural and what seeks it is darkly intelligent too, intent on killing anything in its path.
When horrific murders begin in the vicinity, government agents start hunting the dog and the other in order to destroy the experiments that have escaped. But Travis is determined to protect his friend.
This is a story of friendship and loyalty, and good triumphing over evil. A great read.

The Blood Gospel: The Order of the Sanguines Series
The Blood Gospel: The Order of the Sanguines Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect blend of thriller, history and dark fantasy, 20 Jan. 2013
This is James Rollins on the edge of blasphemy and I loved the book, devouring it in two sittings. Opening with a glimpse into the heart of Masada, Israel, a dark tomb is revealed. As it is destroyed in an earthquake, three survivors escape to face a demonic creature, before a priesthood come to spirit them away on a mission to save mankind. Packed full of fast-paced action, vampires and corrupted creatures, religious themes and emotional resonance, Blood Gospel will delight fans of Rollins. My only criticism is that it is only the first of a new series, and I hate waiting ...

Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

4.0 out of 5 stars Short read but still useful concepts, 8 Jan. 2013
"You are a mashup of what you choose to let into your life." Only let the good stuff in.
This book includes some good stuff, so it's worth a read.
I enjoyed the take on creative stealing, and it's good to allow it to be viewed positively. Creating from ideas planted from seeds of other people's work is what we all do.

I also liked "Don't wait until you know who you are to get started," because otherwise you'll never start.
Short, pithy, creative read.

Be a Free Range Human: Escape the 9-5, Create a Life You Love and Still Pay the Bills

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who is questioning the "traditional" career, 5 Jan. 2013
This book is a great primer for people who are considering stepping out of the corporate world, the traditional career ladder and aiming to make a living doing something they love. You can still earn good money but the focus is more on life wealth, on how you spend your short time on the planet. Marianne walks the talk, living the free-range life, so she is the perfect guide to this way of life. I particularly think the section on "creating your free range life" is important for people to consider when deciding on a business. Do you really know what you want? Or are you using the metrics that you have been taught to use? Being the person you "should" be or who you really are?
Inspirational and useful as a way to consider your next steps towards your future.

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
by Seth Godin

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Isn't A Result. It's A Journey., 31 Dec. 2012
I was part of Seth's Kickstarter so I bought this early, and reading is has totally fired me up to commit to creating and sharing my own art.

There were many parts of the book that resonated with me, but in combination with Steven Pressfield's Turning Pro, the message is really to pick yourself, and persist at the practice of creation.
"Creating art is a habit, one that we practice daily or hourly until we get good at it ... Art isn't about the rush of victory that comes from being picked. Nor does it involve compliance. Art in the post-industrial age is a lifelong habit, a stepwise process that incrementally allows us to create more art."

This book is useful for writers, but I would also urge parents to read it in order to understand the world your children are growing up in.The industrial world is disappearing. The old world of standardized exams, tick-box education and guaranteed jobs won't be there for much longer, and people need to be creative to survive the future. But more than that, life's too short to spend it doing something that isn't rewarding. So aim to thrive and not just survive.

I spent 13 years as an IT consultant, a miserable cubicle worker, rewarding myself with sugar and alcohol in order to make it through each day. In September 2011, I finally broke out of that old life, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I have less money now, fewer trappings of (so-called) worldly success, but I am making my art, and this feels like real life.

I know some of you are struggling around the same issues, so as you move into 2013, I would recommend reading "The Icarus Deception" for some inspiration.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 9:03 PM BST

No Witnesses To Nothing
No Witnesses To Nothing

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly detailed and rooted in personal experience, 16 Dec. 2012
Two things strike me about this crime-thriller that make it original and compelling.

(1) The incredible detail that comes from Garry Rodgers' personal experience as a coroner and Mountie. His knowledge oozes from the page and you know the story is rooted in truth. The sense of place is also excellent.

(2) The dialogue and the voices of the characters ring true. There is dialect for some and distinctive slang for others. I loved reading that as it sounds so different from what I am used to in England or even the American slang we hear on TV. It's not overdone though, just tempered enough to sound real and make the characters come alive.

Whether you believe in the soul, or spiritual elements of evil, this is a fascinating thriller. My only issue was that it was too long for me, but then that is a personal reading choice. For those who like to languish in a story, it will definitely satisfy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11