Profile for Nabil Shaban > Reviews

The Holographic Universe
by Michael Talbot
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Obvious idea, really, 26 Nov 2013
When I first came across holograms, and virtual reality in the 1980s, which was also when I started to write computer programs that generated graphics and sound, and because of my personal experiences of UFOs, ghosts, the occult, ESP and other paranormal phenomena, it became obvious to me that the best explanation for how our perceived universe is manifested was that it was some kind of holographic system, and our experiences belong to a Virtual Reality...again not a new idea...rather ancient, actually, Hindu religion and mysticism has referred to it as "Maya" or illusion for thousands of years. Once we realise that everything "real" is just a hologram then we can truly liberate ourselves, and take control of the Virtual Reality machinery. We can re-write the software, like any computer program, and our personal universe will obey our laws. Read "The Holographic Universe", and you may begin to learn how.

Mystery of the Black Peacock short story collection
Mystery of the Black Peacock short story collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Would make a great movie., 15 Oct 2013
Just read "Mystery of the Black Peacock". Really enjoyed it. I like sea stories and ghost stories, so the mix was very appealing. Reminded me of the Mystery of the Marie Celeste, and John Carpenter's "The Fog". This story would make a nice short film.

True Murder
True Murder
by Yaba Badoe
Price: 7.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Would make a great movie, like "Heavenly Creatures", 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: True Murder (Paperback)
Just finished reading my friend's novel "True Murder". Enjoyed it immensely. Very sad. Had me in tears at one point.
Would make a great movie, like "Heavenly Creatures" Heavenly Creatures Remastered - Limited Edition [DVD]

Iranian Nights (Royal Court Theatre)
Iranian Nights (Royal Court Theatre)
by Howard Brenton

5.0 out of 5 stars Iranian Nights - a clear message - Up Yours, Khomeini, 15 Oct 2013
Iranian Nights (Royal Court Theatre) is a bloody marvellous play. I should know. I was in it. I was one of the actors in the 1989 original Royal Court production. It was very exciting to be part of a play that was sending a clear message to Khomeini's Islamic fundamentalist regime, that there were artists in Britain who were prepared to give up their lives (well, I was) to defend an individual's right to freedom of artistic expression. The theatre was expecting a bomb threat each night while the play was running. Audience members were searched before being allowed into the auditorium. Every night, when returning home after a performance, I would be constantly looking in my rear view mirror, checking to see if any car was tailing me. I like to think our show helped save Salman Rushdie's life. Incidentally, if you want to see the TV presentation of IRANIAN NIGHTS, search YouTube, and you will find the complete show.

"Iranian Nights" was what I called "a rapid response play", written very quickly by Howard Brenton and Tariq Ali, and cast, rehearsed and mounted with great urgency. Iran needed a quick response to their issuing of the Fatwa against Rushdie. Some actors were approached first and initially said yes to being in the play, but then got cold feet, and pulled out. So, Tariq Ali phoned me to ask if I would be performer. He had heard I was something of a "kami-kazi actor", ready to act in highly controversial plays that sometimes result in death threats. For example, when I was in another Royal court show, "The Emperor" 1987 (about Haillie Selassie), we had a bomb scare, the cast were threatened with assassination, the theatre had protesters outside every evening, and I was personally involved in a car chase when I was recognized as one of the actors in the play. Naturally, when Tariq said it could be dangerous being associated with his play, which Teheran later called "...that Satanic play", I immediately said "Yes, I'll do it". Besides, I had been a political admirer of Tariq Ali since his days of leading anti-Vietnam war protests in Britain during the 1960s.

The play revolves around a re-telling of Scheherazade and her attempt to stall her execution by her pathologically jealous husband Haroun al-Rashid (in the play represented by an Ayatollah prophet, who wants to suppress the work of poets (and kill the alleged blasphemer) which he believes may undermine his religious beliefs). The play also looks at the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in 1980s British society among the children of Asian immigrants, and seeks to understand the increasing generation gap between the immigrant who has strived for assimiliation into his adopted homeland, and the new angry young Muslims, who feel a growing alienation as a militant racist Christian world starts flexing it's muscles in preparation for what will turn out to be the American-led Holy Crusade against Islam. The Asian father witnessing his fanatical son's rebellion, believes the boy is being paranoid, and warns against rocking the boat. Both sides of the argument are perfectly balanced, and the debate about the artist's right to freedom of expression ultimately comes down on the side that says "the pen is mightier than the sword" at preserving all our freedoms and civil liberties, and should therefore be cherished and continuously fought for.

Quartet [DVD]
Quartet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Why say "Age-related"?, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Why do some people have to apologize for a movie that is not about young people? Why does a story about people passed the age of 30 have to be described as "Age-related", as if the majority of movies which have the usual people under the age of 25 are not "Age-related"? Are not all films with human characters age-related? It is, in fact, "Age-ist" to single out only those films concerned with people over 60 as "Age-related". Rant over. Quartet [DVD]Quartet (OST) is fabulous with a fabulous lead cast with great British actors. And the wonderful Dustin Hoffman, one of my all time favourite actors actually directing. I am most impressed that he should choose to direct such a quintessential British gentile story. I was also drawn to this movie because I have met two of the stars in this film. I worked with Pauline Collins in "City of Joy"City of Joy [DVD] and such a lovely person. And the wonderful and admirable Maggie Smith, who came up to me, to congratulate me on receiving the AMI Award. She was so charming. I wish I could have acted in a movie with her, especially the Harry Potter films. Billy Connolly and Tom Courtney are also great vaue for money.

Withnail and I [DVD]
Withnail and I [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Price: 10.76

4.0 out of 5 stars A potentially brilliant movie, soured by homophobic element in the finale, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Withnail and I [DVD] (DVD)
for most of Withnail and I [DVD] , I really enjoyed it, and especially I loved the performances of Richard E. Grant (who I came into close contact with, once, when he carried me in his arms - coz I can't walk - up the steps to his house where I was meeting a voice coach (his girlfriend) for a movie I was going to be acting in ( City of Joy [DVD])) and Paul McGann, who I already admired for his performance in The Monocled Mutineer : The Complete BBC Series (2 Disc Set) [DVD] [1986]. Incidentally, I have co-starred with McGann's brother, Mark (who was great as John Lennon in John & Yoko [DVD]) in a British TV drama "Deptford Graffiti". I have another connection with Mark McGann in that we both played John Lennon. In my case, it was a solo actor stage play I wrote I am the Walrus, where I also played Mark Chapman, Lennon's assassin.

However, "Withnail and I" took a downward turn when the late Richard Griffiths (of "Harry Potter" films fame)is turned into a caricature of a gay guy with rape on his mind. At this point I felt angry that an otherwise wonderful film should degenerate into cheap homophobic slapstick. Because of this, I have only given 4 stars, instead of 5.

Despite this, the movie is worth buying because it is a great portrayal of a bygone age and we probably recognise many friends, even ourselves in the two central characters in "Withnail and I". It certainly brings back memories of my glorious drug-taking and alcohol intoxicated days.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant political film...we need more today, 22 April 2013
"Z" was the first ever political movie I ever saw...and it made me realise how important political films were. Great acting and fantastic music. I have no problem with the so-called "liberal" slant of the film, because I am a Communist and proud of my humane, egalitarian left-wing politics. In fact, I do not like the American use of the word "liberal" for socialist / communist". "Liberals" in Britan, in my view can't make up their mind whether they are left-wing or right-wing. Pretty wet, though in the US, liberals are seen as Democrats, who in my opinion are still too reactionary and right-wing for my liking. In fact, there is no left-wing in America...just different shades of Blue. Another film by Costa-Gavros responsible for forming my politics, and my dislike of the CIA and Pentagon's interference in the governments of other countries, was "Missing"Missing [DVD] (1982). Neither should we forget "Salvador" Salvador--Special Edition [DVD], "Under Fire" Under Fire [DVD].

Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street [DVD] [2007]
Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Price: 3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 10 April 2013
Sweeney Todd - the Demon Barber of Fleet Street [DVD] [2007] Singing is awful. Acting uninteresting. Anyway, why cast a Yank actor as a Brit...and anyway, if you do, at least a more appropriate actor than Depp. what was Burton thinking of? Probably wasn't thinking...he was just casting best mates. Unconvincing story...well, to be honest, I can't remember the story other than what I already knew about Sweeney Todd. It was the damn singing which wiped all memories of the plot. Anyway, how can you make a musical about a serial killer? It's about as entertaining as "Springtime for Hitler". The Producers [DVD] I wonder if Tim Burton has plans to make a Rom-Com Musical about Ted Bundy?

Who Killed John Lennon?
Who Killed John Lennon?
by Fenton Bresler

5.0 out of 5 stars Similar ideas that inspired "I am the Walrus" - a play by Nabil Shaban, on Kindle, 3 Feb 2013
Reading Albert Doyle's review of "Who Killed John Lennon?" Who Killed John Lennon? by Fenton Bresler, inspired me to purchase this excellent and provocative book. But then, I was biased beforehand. On the day the world was informed of the killing of John Lennon, I immediately suspected it was a "Manchurian Candidate type assassination...i.e. the dirty agency known, otherwise known as the CIA were covertly behind it. 1980 was the year the world changed for the worse...the far right were beginning to dominate governments in the West, and war clouds were to increase around the global, as the United States prepared to force their New World Order on the rest of us. In order to be successful, the NeoCons need to create a compliant but aggressively jingoistic population in Britain and America. What they didn't want was a popular anti-war movement that could be led by former charismatic, tough, outspoken peace campaigners like John Lennon. Hence John Lennon had to be taken out, so as to nip in the bud any effective opposition to the new military-industrial fascism being organised by the puppet masters behind Thatcher and Reagan. Reading this book reminded me of what inspired me to write my own play on the slaying of my hero - John Lennon, "I am the Walrus", which I wrote and performed in 2001 I am the Walrus. I understand Sean, John Lennon's son, also believes that his father's death was organised by the CIA, or some other more clandestine US agency. I wonder if he has read Fenton Bresler's book, and what he thinks of it. I would find it interesting for him, and Lennon's older son, Julian to write ewviews.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 5:47 PM GMT

GBH [DVD] [1991]
GBH [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Julie Walters
Offered by rileys dvds
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brits were once the best in the English speaking world at TV drama, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: GBH [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
GBH [DVD] [1991] Alan Bleasdale's GBH is brilliant, but then so much of what we in Britain produced from the Seventies through to the Nineties was superior to American TV drama. Quite frankly, we continually put the Yanks to shame with our top quality intelligent television. Unfortunately, we are no longer allowed to make good TV. The Americans have decreed that that shall not be the role of British television. Which is why American drama appears to be the best...because our governments since Thatcher has sold out to the American media corporations, and has stopped properly funding our TV networks, so we can no longer compete with the Yank market.

Page: 1 | 2