Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "art food philosophy freak" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Township
Township

5.0 out of 5 stars great addictive violence free distraction, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Township (App)
Love the detail, the variety, the silliness and that it's FREE - worth a try if you like farmville or Sims style games

Europe: 40 Amazing Experiences
Europe: 40 Amazing Experiences

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap at any price, 13 July 2013
In need of a taster to inspire your travels? This short and eclectic selection will have you reaching for the guide books and then the tickets

Flow Free
Flow Free

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and addictive, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Flow Free (App)
Utterly addictive - well designed and hugely enjoyable. As the grids increase in size so does their complexity and the pursuit of perfect score can make the game last a lot longer than you expect. Excellent!

Mystery Manor(Kindle Tablet Edition)
Mystery Manor(Kindle Tablet Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars fine so far, 6 Feb 2013
Demand to rate too early to give decent review - fine so far if a bit clunky in controls. Acceptable. May improve

Otto the Book Bear
Otto the Book Bear
by Katie Cleminson
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Otto the Book Bear, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Otto the Book Bear (Paperback)
My 1 year old daughter has listened to us reading this to her for the last few months and she is obsessed with this charming little bear - her first word was bear! I love that the library is the hero - quite apart from the beautiful illustrations and the wonderful story. The edition is big enough for little hands to turn pages and the quality is great. Overall I am considering buying it again just in case it disappears as it is an absolute joy and we would be lost at bedtime without it.

Cupcakes
Cupcakes
by Susannah Blake
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars cupcakes for novices and experts, 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Cupcakes (Hardcover)
On a whim, three and a half years ago I decided to bake my own wedding cake, having baked two or three cakes before in my life. Wise friends talked me into something more manageable and bought me this book as inspiration. After many (many) trials, I settled on adaptations of 5 of the recipes (lemon meringue, rose, orange and almond, ginger and chocolate macadamia) and they blew my guests away.

Since then I have made more cupcakes than I can count and have had to replace the book as too many pages had got stuck together by my sticky baking fingers. I have never made a duff batch from these recipes.

The illustrations are mouth watering, the recipes clear, concise and easily adaptable. I have since bought other cupcake bibles but none as satisfying, helpful and inspiring as this one.

Particularly useful are the dairy and gluten free recipe which also works with lemon, the basic sponge to be flavoured to your taste and the tips for making special themed cupcakes - who knew cobwebs were so achievable?

I can not recommend it highly enough.

The Matisse Stories
The Matisse Stories
by A S Byatt
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous jewel to be read time and time again, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Matisse Stories (Paperback)
This little book is a constant source of pleasure akin to a perfect piece of jewelery. It contains three stories, each with a Matisse painting at its heart. The commentary on life within each few pages will haunt you.

I first read it in the mid 90's yet 15 years on, it still captivates and intrigues. It includes moments of release, moments of clarity and twisted revenge, moments of considered cruelty; each is so exquisitely crafted that each re-reading burnishes their brilliance.

Whenever anybody asks me about passion for colour and obsession, I refer them to the second story and Batchelor's Chromophobia and as such this book transcends the tag of short story collection. The Djinn and the Nightingale's Eye is the only other Byatt that captures this concise elegance and is also well worth a read.

I cannot recommend this highly enough - I suggest you will return to it time and time again.

Tease
Tease
by Immodesty Blaize

4.0 out of 5 stars An unashamed romp, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: Tease (Hardcover)
On a languid summer day, this escapist world where costumes are glamorous and handmade and props cost the earth but are deemed worth it, is a right rollicking good read. If you're looking for great literature, look elsewhere. If you're looking for entertainment, roll up, roll up!

In the centenary year of the Ballets Russes, Immodesty Blaize is carrying on the great tradition of titivating the audience with colourful and exquisite detail. She also includes enough irony to allow the reader notional sangfroid (think Jilly Cooper with attitude), all without taking herself too seriously. My favourite point is *shock horror* having a heroine who has to regain weight to be back on top - what a relief.

Miss Blaize, keep at it - it was sheer undiluted pleasure and is highly recommended.

Seven Secrets Of Successful Parenting: Or How to Achieve the Almost Impossible
Seven Secrets Of Successful Parenting: Or How to Achieve the Almost Impossible
by Karen Doherty
Price: 11.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Parenting problems solved!, 17 Aug 2008
Parenting is a minefield with more manuals than the British Library so finding a book that offers support without being patronising, talks about real problems and suggests strategies that don't involve disrupting your life and is charming, funny, well written and very well edited is a real bonus.
Highly recommended.

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Price: 14.83

4.0 out of 5 stars And it just keeps geting better..., 3 July 2007
I wanted to believe the title of this review but I found the series weak in places - hence the 4 stars rather than my usual glowing 5 for the latest incarnation of the Doctor.

However, the strong episodes, particularly "Blink" which still has the hairs on the back of my neck going, are beyond brilliant - maybe the best ever. A fair few double or triple episodes made this series almost unbearable to watch on the TV, so enjoy the comfort of having all of them at once on the box set.

As happens with the continuity of 3 seasons, the writers seem more comfortable pushing the boundaries of the Doctor et al, and all I can really say is why oh why are there still 5 months to go before the Christmas special!

This set is on my wishlist - I wonder what the special edition will be this time...

Page: 1 | 2