Profile for S. Brackenridge > Reviews

Content by S. Brackenridge

S. Brackenridge (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
DeWalt DT4606QZ 12 x 200mm Wood Auger Drill Bit
DeWalt DT4606QZ 12 x 200mm Wood Auger Drill Bit

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for less than £10, 29 Jun. 2016
I have used this to drill a few holes now, and, while it works OK, I don't think it is as sharp as my Erbauer drill bits. Also, the design of the cutting tip means it gets clogged with sawdust very quickly, which doesn't help with drilling. One good point, the end of the shaft has a 10mm hexagonal cross section, allowing me to use it with my cordless drill.

OXO Good Grips Household Scrub
OXO Good Grips Household Scrub

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle position makes it hard to use, 29 Jun. 2016
Having the handle above the brush seems like a good idea, but in reality it means you are holding the brush in the wrong place to be able to use it with any sort of decent force. It worked as a brush, but I ended up with a very sore hand and wrist from having to grip it so tightly.

Vanish Clean and Fresh Large Area Carpet Cleaner 450 ml - Pack of 3
Vanish Clean and Fresh Large Area Carpet Cleaner 450 ml - Pack of 3

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to recommend., 29 Jun. 2016
Having used the Vanish spray foam to clean small areas of carpet successfully, I had high hopes that this would be great to revive a carpet that has been down a few years and was looking slightly grubby. The instructions say you need to mix with hot water to get a foam. Perhaps I did it wrong (in which case, better instructions are required!), but all I managed to acheive was a bucket of water with a tiny bit of foam on top that kept disappearing. Cleaning the carpet then involved virgorously mixing at regular intervals to get any sort of foam to use. The carpet did look a little better after cleaning, but I think most of that is down to the fact that it was scrubbed by hand with a wet brush.

Connex COM870800 Mobile Stand for Drills
Connex COM870800 Mobile Stand for Drills

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than no stand at all, 29 Jun. 2016
I have just used this to drill some holes in a wooden beam. In an ideal world, even a cheap drill stand would result in perfectly vertical holes. With this stand, however, you will end up with holes that are significantly off line, even when the stand is supposedly set straight. Worse, any resistance in the material you are drilling, and the force you exert will translate into movement in the "clamps" that hold the stand vertical. Result: holes that veer sharply off line and serious risk of trashing both the drill bit and the material you are drilling. Another reviewer suggested you would be better off drilling freehand. I concur. The holes I drilled after chucking this piece of junk to the back of the shed are significantly closer to vertical than any I acheived with it. Avoid.

Dorco Pace 6+ Razor for Men with Trimmer - The first 6-Blade Razor In The World - With Two 6-Blade Replacement Cartridges - Dermatologically Tested- Flexible Head, Angled Blades & Non-Slip Handle for Perfect Results
Offered by Razors by Dorco

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the big brands., 11 Jun. 2016
Fed up of paying ever more money Gillette razors, with their for infinitessimal improvements, the dumb adverts, and insupportable claims for how long a pack of blades will last, I decided to take a punt on these when I stumbled on them whilst searching Amazon for something else entirely (long sotry).

To be honest, I did not have high hopes. After all, was it really likely that a company no one has ever heard of could make better blades than the established companies, and for a lower price? Surprisingly, the answer is yes. I have been using these blades for a few months now and have no intention of switching back to Gillette. The six blades seem to be much sharper than the Fusion ones and give me a realy nice, close shave. No snagging or pulling, and not a hint of razor burn. Better still, they last me roughly twice as long as standard Fusion blades. So even though they are only marginally cheaper, the savings will soon rack up.

Are they perfect? Of course not. The biggest problem is the spacing of the blades. Being more tightly packed than Fusion blades, it is inevitable they will clog up with stubble more and also be harder to unclog. I also had trouble with the single trimmer blade on the rear, and managed to nick my face the first few times I used it - not something that ever happened with the Fusion. The blade seems to be more recessed than the equivalent on the Fusion, so it takes a little getting used to. Despite these niggles, the good really does outweigh the bad, and I would urge anyone who is fed up of paying through the nose for razors to give them a try.

kitchen worktop square end cap q3 profile, 40mm high, black 3mm radius
kitchen worktop square end cap q3 profile, 40mm high, black 3mm radius
Offered by Fitmykitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for q3 profile worktops with 3mm radius curves top and bottom, 2 Mar. 2016
It seems to be impossible to buy anything other than end caps for bull nose worktops in the DIY sheds, which is pretty useless if you don't have bull nose worktops but still want end caps. I was concerned by the product description describing them as both "square end caps" and "q3 profile" (I thought square profile worktops didn't curve at the front), but upon receipt I can confirm that these have the 3mm radius curved corners that match "q3 profile" worktops. Once fitted, they look much neater than the usual strips of laminate that get glued on and slathered with coloured filler. Should last longer, too!

MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable HeadLight 150 Lumens
MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable HeadLight 150 Lumens
Offered by GsportsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars A great light to be seen by, 29 Jan. 2016
Having tried many different lights powered by replaceable batteries, and finding them all wanting, I decided to give an LED rechargeable light a go. And, while it is not perfect, I am pretty happy. It is certainly the brightest light I have ever had.

The good: It is very bright, even on the lowest setting. In fact, it is probably too bright on the two highest settings, and will turn you into one of those cyclists that seems to think dazzling everyone around somehow improves their safety on the road. Add in the fact that the battery runs down extremely quickly on these settings, and you will probably never use them. The flashing setting is ideal when it starts to get dark, but i am not a fan of using a flashing light in its own after dark. The unit is also very small, and easy to slip into a pocket or bag. It is turned off by repeatedly pressing the button on the back. It requires a reasonably firm push, so is less likely to be accidentally turned on in a bag than other lights I have owned (such as Cateye ones, which are easily accidentally turned on in a bag, but which will never be accidentally turned off because that requires the power button to be held down - who designs something like that??). It is also easy to recharge: just remove the end cap and plug it in to a USB socket, either on a computer or a phone adaptor. A blue light shows while it recharges and goes out when the battery is full.

I also quite like that it does not require a mount, so can be used on multiple bikes. This is also one of the things I don't like, however. Which leads us on to the bad: The rubber strap is not permanently attached to the light, making it very easy to lose. Unless you are religious about securing it when you remove it (while also faffing with gates/sheds/bike locks/etc.) you are likely to drop it without noticing. The rubber strap will also have a finite lifespan, so it would have been nice to have a spare supplied (assuming the bulb and battery outlast the rubber). It also does not hold the light fantastically tightly, and I worry that it will only become looser as it is used. The rubber cap that covers the switch and USB plug is also not permanently attached, and can easily come off - I have already needed to find it in the dark after it fell off. I also don't like the fact that there is no way of knowing how much charge is left in the battery. A red light comes on when it needs to be recharged, but this is less than helpful if you are halfway home when it does so!

The beam of light produced can go a very long way, but it is quite focused, so this is not the light to use if you are cycling along unlit paths at night. As a light to show other road users where you are, however, it is ideal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2016 8:22 PM GMT

Agaton Sax and the Criminal Doubles (Translated)
Agaton Sax and the Criminal Doubles (Translated)

3.0 out of 5 stars Something amiss here!, 29 Jan. 2016
While I am glad to see these available again, you do not have to be the great Agaton Sax to suss that these are not official releases, and I doubt that they have the approval of either Quentin Blake or the Estate of Nils-Olaf Franzen. (If I am wrong about this, I will happily amend this review.)

They appear to have been thrown together from scans of the original books run thorugh some optical character recognition software, and are in sore need of proof-reading.

Hopefully, seeing them available in this way will prompt the copyright holders into releasing the books properly. My 10 year old enjoyed this one (and the other that is also available, AS and the League of Silent Exploders), and is keen to read more.

Agaton Sax and the League of Silent Exploders (Translated)
Agaton Sax and the League of Silent Exploders (Translated)

3.0 out of 5 stars Something amiss here!, 29 Jan. 2016

Hopefully, seeing them available in this way will prompt the copyright holders into releasing the books properly. My 10 year old enjoyed this one (and the other that is also available, AS and the Criminal Doubles), and is keen to read more.

TP-LINK TL-PA8030PKIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Pass-through Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (1200 Mbps, Multiple HD Streams and No Configuration Required) - 2 Units Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install and they actually work!, 29 Jan. 2016
Having had only partial success getting WiFi to our new extension with a plug in signal extender (old house, where even the internal walls are made of concrete blocks), I decided to try these when they appeared as a lightening deal. I have to say, I was not expecting much success: routing network signals through the ring main seems a bit too close to voodoo magic. Installation was a breeze. Just plug one in next to the router and connect it with the supplied patch cable. Plug the other in next to the computer you want to network, and connect with the second patch cable. Job done. I had been worried that there would have been issues having the router on the original house wiring and the other end on the new wiring extension, but all is well. Best if all, because this is a wired connection, there seems to be very little loss of speed (beware cheaper models that cannot handle decent network speeds). In contrast, the WiFi extender I struggled with gave a connection speed less than half that of the direct WiFi connection (which is already about half of our actual connection speed - typically ~90Mbps). Having the three ports is also useful, allowing me to connect my networkable printer so that it is accessible to any computer in the house with minimal faffing (aside from Windows 10 needing to have its hand held when locating it, as it is a "slightly older" printer!). I wish I had not been so sceptical and had tried these sooner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13