Profile for W.L. > Reviews

Lost Girl - Season 4 [DVD]
Lost Girl - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Silk

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have called a halt at Season 3, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lost Girl - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I love many of the characters in Lost Girl and up until this point, the writing was very well woven. Great plot lines, great timing. In this season, that all seemed to go out the window. The characters lost integrity, the writing disolved into dull monologues, even the camera work and sets looked worthy of Blakes 7! It feels like some executive has decided to 'shake it up a little' and turned this great concept into bubblegum for the brain. - if you liked Buffy, you won't notice any difference. However, if you preferred Firefly, you will weep at the travesty this series has become. Haile, Kenzi and Tamsin were the strongest characters and even they loose any semblance of credulity by the end of the season. A great shame, I could feel no emotion as they sacrificed one character after another in lieu of a decent storyline.

I give it two stars because I am sure such great actors were doing the best they could with such low level writing. sadly, as much as I have enjoyed the previous seasons, I don't think I could put myself through another.

Bench Phrase Men's Jumper Black Medium
Bench Phrase Men's Jumper Black Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2014
This is the best item of clothing I have ever bought on-line. The inside of the sleeves are quilted and it is so warm. I am totally impressed. My only criticism would be that I bought this for £46 something before Xmas and it is now priced at £90, which I, personally, wouldn't pay. Fantastic quality clothing though.

Breedless
Breedless

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breedless (Audio CD)
I bought this out of curiosity and haven't stopped listening to it yet. Ego Likeness have been such a find and I have bought all their other albums since! Listen to a couple of the songs on youtube and you'll see - the quality never drops and this album is excellent from the beginning to the end. Great mythic, gothic rock, with a couple of brilliant ballads thrown in too. You won't be disappointed.

The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
by Simon Scarrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster!, 31 Dec 2013
The Blood Crows, like all the other Eagle books, is just a roller-coaster of a ride. I very rarely make these books last more than two days... they are impossible to put down! I didn't read all the reviews, but this does bare a resemblance to a cross between Apocalypse Now (70%) and Lemony Snicketts (30%) - Roman style!! Our heroes are back in Britannia and if you've enjoyed the other books, you'll love this. Great stuff!

I Claudius - Complete BBC Series (5 Disc Box Set) [1976] [DVD]
I Claudius - Complete BBC Series (5 Disc Box Set) [1976] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 May 2013
I never saw this the first time around. It really is a TV play, but the quality is astounding and I am so glad I bought it! Definitely one that will be re-watched over, and over again!

Being Human - Series 5 [DVD]
Being Human - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damien Molony

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
It is rare for a sequel to rival its predecessor, but this did. It is an absolutely excellent series and didn't loose quality at any point in the plot development. Really great viewing.

Monument
Monument
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Blutengel, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Monument (Audio CD)
This a great album. Chris Pohl has developed Blutengels sound and musically this album is probably the best yet. There is a greater percentage of German songs and not being German speaker, he could be singing his shopping list - but with such style! I love it. The only drawback is that this doesn't have the feel of a collaborative effort as did Tranenherz, which to my mind remains the better album because of the balance of male and female vocals. Here we have the Inccubus with fewer Sirens. However, no one else does Gothic trance music this well - not by a long shot! A really great album.

Carriers [DVD] (2009)
Carriers [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Lou Taylor Pucci

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking... not eyecandy, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Carriers [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I was surprised by the amount of negative reviews - I suppose it depends on what you expect to see. It's a quiet film where the tension between characters doesn't let each of them bury the things they have had to do to survive. Chris Pine takes on the role of brutal alpha male - and the other characters love and hate him for it. He makes the decisions that no one wants to make, but as the journey develops the cracks begin to show and as a viewer, I felt far more connected to the desperation you would feel in that situation.

I love eye-candy films and roller coaster rides, but occasionally its fantastic to stumble onto something like this that just creeps up on you and takes over the couch. Depressingly brilliant!

Civilisation : Complete BBC Series (4 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Civilisation : Complete BBC Series (4 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly brilliant, 26 April 2011
The first episode is a little slow, but this series is just fantastic. If I was to own one series on art through the ages - this would be it. I really loved this gentle, honest and emotionally involved response to our artistic heritage. brilliant.

Esoteric Orders and Their Work
Esoteric Orders and Their Work
by Dion Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no better books..., 26 April 2011
There are no better books on the occult than Dion Fortune's. really, she was so far ahead of her time and if you are sick of the coffee table, dogmatic, cult books on witchcraft - these will teach you something you really didn't know.... Fantastic

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4