Profile for A. Lawson > Reviews

Content by A. Lawson

A. Lawson "abby0077" (Rome, Italy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Photographer's Wife
The Photographer's Wife

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but probably wouldn't go back for more., 16 Feb. 2015
While I enjoyed this book for the most part, I felt that the twist in the tale arrived in an odd place and then when it reappeared, too much has been hinted at already, so the final paragraphs were no surprise. . I did NOT like the character Brett st all, and reading it, imagined Sophie would be much younger rather than a woman in her forties(forties?). I can't say that I disliked the book but I felt there was an element missing, the surprise in the story, so I won't be rushing to buy more books from this writer.

A Trick of the Light
A Trick of the Light

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read but not as great as other KJ Rabane books, 22 Mar. 2014
I'd read a couple of other KJ Rabane books previously, which prompted me to buy this one, but it wasn't half as gripping or as much of a thriller. I'd expected tighter plot twists and the ending, where everything was explained was rather rushed, crammed into a few pages and seemed inspired by a Scooby Doo episode!
Without wanting to add spoilers, I felt like certain aspects were not explained properly; how the two characters in the last chapter end up together, what really was the point of the sabotage... little bits here and there that seemed to be leading to a plot twist but never quite got there.

Also, the character of Frankie confused me. I noticed only one that Frankie was referred to as 'he', and thereafter was not referred to in the third person that I noticed throughout the rest of the book. I supposed that the reader was meant to assume Frankie was male but the 'unusual relationship', as it was suggested, might turn out to be something different and Frankie would be revealed as female... I want convinced that a gay relationship (as that's how I read it to be) would really raise eyebrows these days, particularly in this kind of circle of writers, fashion designers and photographers.

And whoever proofread this copy could do with brushing up a bbc little bit, it was littered with errors and typos.

Nikon Coolpix L810 Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 26x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Nikon Coolpix L810 Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 26x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Picsio

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow functioning and never any focus, 5 Jan. 2014
I have been so disappointed with this camera on many levels.

Firstly, I was dismayed to find it took batteries instead of having a rechargeable, which I much prefer. They run out quickly and always at the wrong moment.

Secondly, it is almost impossible to get a photo in focus. I have a camera to take photos mostly of my children and it is hard to get them to stay as still as a statue for the amount of time it would take to achieve a focused picture. I've tried every scene setting, even the sports setting is no good.

Thirdly, The quality of the picture does to look as good as the quality on my Samsung point and shoot camera.. They always look slightly grainy, I have tried every setting on this camera in a bid to get nice pictures.

The camera overall is very slow to use and I am always missing the moment. When you press the shutter it's a good few seconds until the photo is taken. Then you have to wait for it to record to the memory card before taking e next. Even on burst mode it seems laborious compared to the little point and shoot, which I mostly use.

I've been using this for a year now, only occasionally though as its always disappointing. I wouldn't have persevered with it for so long except it was a present for Christmas last year from my mum, who thought I'd be really pleased with it.

I wouldn't recommend this at all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 4:59 AM GMT

tesa 05432 Insulating Film for Windows, Transparent 4m x 1.5m (max)
tesa 05432 Insulating Film for Windows, Transparent 4m x 1.5m (max)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and effective, 9 Dec. 2013
I used this on the window of my childrens' bedroom. It was really draughty, being the original Edwadian window in an already freezing attic room. I got the film up in less than five minutes so a really quick DIY job that anyone could do. It also leaves the window levers inaccessible to my toddler, so the room is safer too. An excellent product. Oh, and I have tons of film and tape left over too so I can reply it next winter!

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice revisit to Bridget but..., 25 Nov. 2013
I just couldn't get my head around Bridget being in her fifties, especially a fifty something with two small children! I know it happens in real life, but for Bridget and Mark? Why would they have left out do long considering the first two diaries there was so much concern about finding Mr Right etc and supposedly to get settled down and have babies... also, SPOILER... I worked out pretty soon that this time the hero was a rehash of Jane Eyre's Mr Rochester, so it was just a matter of continuing with the story until they inevitably got together.

Human Remains
Human Remains

3.0 out of 5 stars gory, distasteful, gripping and abrupt, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
First of all, I really enjoyed Haynes' first two novels so I didn't hesitate to buy this but after an interesting start, I was left wondering if I really wanted to continue. In the end, it was an overriding need to not leave a book unfinished rather than a morbid curiosity that made me carry on. I did find some of the early Colin chapters a bit stomach turning..too much detail for me, but once it got into the investigation part, it became more interesting. However, when the end came, I had been expecting more, it felt like I'd lost the last tree chapters, but no, this was the end of the book. I'll definitely read the next Haynes book based on her first two,, although if Human Remains had been the debut, I wouldn't have bothered with any more.

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me, 11 April 2013
First of all, I found this pump very fiddly to put together compared to a pump I'd used for my first son, an Agent hand pump. Furthermore, the pack I bought can't with s microwave steriliser which was a fraction too small to fit all the posts in and close properly.

I tried the pump for a good 20 minutes. and nothing had been collected in the bottle, however, when I took the top of to check, milk spoilt all over me! It has collected around the diaphragm and not dropped through to the bottle. I checked, double and triple checked the city's and parts, if been sitting upright with the pump upright also. So I squeezed my nipple to check and yes, there was milk flowing nicely when I hand expressed. I tried again with the pump. Again, . It collected around the diaphragm.on the third go I noticed it was dropping through ever do slightly but so slowly, a rate of about 1 drop per minute.

I couldn't see whether any milk was coming out as I used it, unlike with the manual Avent pump I'd used where you could quite clearly see the stream of milk. Also the suction didn't seem very strong although it did feel like it was picking my skin a little on the higher settings. All in all, I managed to pump about 2oz in 90 minutes, plus the spilt milk, probably about the same. I was pretty annoyed at the waste of milk as that could have gone into my baby's tummy!

I shall be returning this pump as it just didn't work for me, maybe it was faulty, maybe my breast were the wrong shape. Who knows? I just know that it was faster using my old Avent pump. Even hand expressing was more effective.

Motorola MBP28 Multi-Cam Digital Video Baby Monitor
Motorola MBP28 Multi-Cam Digital Video Baby Monitor
Offered by Ozaroo

4.0 out of 5 stars great for peace of mind, 3 Mar. 2013
I wish I'd bought one of these sooner, I was almost put off by the two bad reviews but the shop where I bought it said I could get as refund if it was unsatisfactory so I bought it to try out with my toddler before the new baby arrives. We live in a large, long Edwardian house and the toddler's room is right at the opposite end of the house to the main sitting room, and up a big flight of stairs too so I was worried about the range. However the picture on the screen is more than adequate, in daylight and pitch darkness. I was very impressed. While using the monitor in the sitting room, bedroom or kitchen, we have WiFi modems, a microwave, lots of solid walls, all kinds of things that could v block the signal but so far it is working fine. The second unit I have left in the kitchen so if I get a lie in in the morning,I can still watch my son having breakfast with his dad, nanny or grandad, whoever is on breakfast duty. The two way communication means I can even chat to them from the comfort of my bed, request cups of tea be brought to me and tell my son to eat all his weetabix. I don't know why didn't get one sooner! (I can listen in on their conversations too, but I don't use it for that, honest!) You can set the parent monitor to switch between the two baby monitors, or to view one only. I haven't tried the lullabies yet so I can't comment on that part. I did think at first that the sound wasnt very good but then I realized that sound only cuts in when necessary.. you can hear coughs, cries, bangs, tv sound etc, conversations. You don't hear things like normal breathing, stirring and moving around. This is fine for me. Also it means that there is no electric hum constantly. I found that the battery pack on the parent monitor lasted more than the two hours a previous reviewer mentioned. It's pretty good to be able to use it downstairs without the plug having to reach the socket to plug it in and take it out every night. I just use it with the charger overnight, otherwise it's not plugged in and easy to carry around from room to room.
Overall as well priced product in my opinion.

Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not enjoy., 19 Feb. 2013
I bought this book out of curiosity as I am married to a gorgeous Salentino man, but I found the writers experienced and anecdotes slightly exaggerated and made cliches out of situations in which I have also found myself. I actually skipped large chunks of the book,a huge middle section where the couple are in Milan (so perhaps only 50% actually about life in south Italy) and it was rather tiresome to continually read that people he encountered couldn't believe he would choose to live in Salento than the 'wonderful' Australia.and I have to add that he must have very boring friends from his description of a south Italian wedding.

Princess - A Disturbing Psychological Thriller
Princess - A Disturbing Psychological Thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars A rubbish 10 minute read, 22 Jan. 2013
I only downloaded this as it was recommended because of some recent excellent purchases. It took all of 10 minutes to read, was so predictable and hardly what I'd call a 'disturbing psychological thriller'

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5