Profile for D. Croft > Reviews

Chinese Food Made Easy
by Ching-He Huang
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!!, 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I always thought that chinese food would be difficult to make, but this book proved me wrong as these recipies are easy and quick and also the best chinese food i have ever had. After buying this book, you will never want takeaway again when it is so much better to make it yourself. It is also good that Ching explains that history behind some of the dishes and also gives valuable information in the back for people who are not acquainted with chinese cooking or ingridents. The only problem is that some of the ingridents are not avaliale in most supermarkets such as wonton wrappers, however that does not change the fact that this book is great and also a must have for any cook.

Feminine Gospels
Feminine Gospels
by Carol Ann Duffy
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 10 Jun 2008
This review is from: Feminine Gospels (Paperback)
I am an A Level English student and study Carol Ann Duffy to anyone as she is nothing short of brilliant. I would reccomend any of her collections especially selected poems or the world's wife, which is similar to this as it tackles feminine ideas. Duffy really understands words which is what makes her such a great poet, she knows how to connect to the reader and her poems have so much depth to them that it actually takes some thinking about. Ignore the reviews here that slag Duffy off as these people could never write poetry like Duffy and it is only ignorance that fails to see Duffy's brilliance as a writer. I gained much from studying her as it reminded me that poems such as these should not be taken at face value and I would reccomend her to anyone simply for the themes she uses and portrays and for the way she makes the reader re think their preconceived conceptions of the world.

Rejoice
Rejoice
Offered by Quick Discount Sales
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice?????, 1 Dec 2007
This review is from: Rejoice (Audio CD)
I have to start by saying that I am a huge Katherine Jenkins fan, I have seen her live and met her and she is really nice, however this album is not as good as her last ones. I like:
REJOICE, I WHO HAVE NOTHING, HOW DO YOU LEAVE THE ONE YOU LOVE?.. some of the songs are too pop like and don't suit her mezzo voice. Katherine does not have a versitile enough voice to do both pop and classical as Hayley Westenra does!! She should stick to classical or she will alienate her fans and ruin her classical voice (and she says she wants to be in an opera!!!)
She tries to change her voive, but this does not work I also do not think she should not do covers of songs like KISS FROM A ROSE and I would rather hear Doirs Day sing SECRET LOVE any day!
I am not saying this because I am a 'hater' I just think she should not try to fix what is not broken...I will alway be a huge fan and I hope for something better in future.

The Rise & Fall Of Ruby Woo
The Rise & Fall Of Ruby Woo
Price: 7.38

4.0 out of 5 stars really good...but, 12 Oct 2007
This album is really good, but 1 star had to come off as I do not like all of the songs, the only one I really con't stand is I can't beleieve i'm not a millionaire. Other than that the covers are great and some ven better than the originals. soho nights and jilted show that the puppini sisters do not just need to do covers to be noticed!!

buy this, you won't be dissappointed

All The Lost Souls
All The Lost Souls
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 3.20

5.0 out of 5 stars If your cat sounds that good..., 30 Sep 2007
This review is from: All The Lost Souls (Audio CD)
This CD is really good, I though James could not top Back to Bedlam, but he has!! these songs make a really good CD as they are all linked in some way and all have a concept. He really is a gifted songwriter...one of the best. There is not one song I hate, but if I had to choose some faouvrites they would have to be:
carry you home
give me some love
same mistake
Annie
Some of the songs are growers, I found this with 1973... it is sad that this album gets bad reviews as it is better than Back to Bedlam, but maybe you need more than 2 brain cells to appriciate this sort of music!!!

Whatever Happened To Romance?
Whatever Happened To Romance?
Offered by Side Two
Price: 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 Aug 2007
I went to school with Victoria and she has always been the singing type. This album is great as it is not just an album of covers, but has unique material set to the jazz rhythm. My favourites are chocolates and Strawberries, a girl like me, whatever happened to romance and also her cover of sunny afternoon may even be better than the original!! Buy this album and you will not be dissappointed, it is the beat album to come out ina long time, there is not one bad song on it. It is worth any amount of money!! Her voice may soud immature at the moment but she is only 19 and it is easy to tell that when she does mature she will be a force to be reckoned with....this music has meaning, is funny at times, sad at others, is very well put together. I'm sure that people who trash this are the sort who listen to shallow "pop" by britney and kylie among others...if you want class and not crass buy victoria.

Betcha' Bottom Dollar
Betcha' Bottom Dollar
Price: 7.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stand ignorance, 13 Aug 2006
This review is from: Betcha' Bottom Dollar (Audio CD)
If you are reading this review and are uncertain because ingorant people insist on writing reviews, I am writing to say BUY THIS NOW. These people who only give one star do not know good music when they hear it and should therefore be banned from voicing their ignorant opinion

These 'rather plain women' sing in great harmony (which is no easy task) and bring back some of the great music that has been lost to most people. This CD also has great versions of wuthering heights (better than Kate bush) and I will survive, the best thing about these covers is that they are so different you cannot accuse them of copying

BUY THIS to hear truly good music and ignore the ignorance of one star reviews!

1 fille & 4 types
1 fille & 4 types
Price: 5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give six, 28 July 2006
This review is from: 1 fille & 4 types (Audio CD)
Not to buy this album is a crime as it is sooo great. There are not words enough to say exactly how great, you must listen to it and you will understand. There is not one song on this album that is not worth listening to. To understand the french go to celinedionweb.com where there are translations, you will love the songs even more when you know what they mean. I always liked celine dion, but never enough to buy an album, but when I discovered her in french I got three of her albums!!!

Buy this then S'il suffisait d'aimer and D'uex....you will not be dissappointed with a great voice and even better songs

A MUST HAVE

Mao: The Unknown Story
Mao: The Unknown Story
by Jung Chang

5.0 out of 5 stars don't talk about what you don't know, 22 July 2006
This review is from: Mao: The Unknown Story (Paperback)
I have recently read an article about this book and condemn the people above who slate this without knowing about Chinese history. Don't comment if you don't know and don't confuse biase with truth. I think that as the author lived though this event she will know about the truth of the matter more than us that live in this country. I do believe what she says and it is not hard as we would not say that books saying hitler is bad are bias and untrue. It is about time that we had another opinion of mao other than 3 parts bad 7 parts good which he is cleary not. Buy this and learn truth, ingore the ignorance above.

Pure
Pure
Price: 6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words good enough, 10 Aug 2005
This review is from: Pure (Audio CD)
I first heard Hayley Westenra sing on classic Fm and had to have the album she has the best voice I have ever heard.
This album's title describes her voice in one word-pure and the songs suite her voice so well especially never say goodbye, dark waltz and the maori songs. I love the bonus CD aswell especially Mary did you know? and Bridall Ballad- this CD is a must have
Charlotte Church is not a patch on Hayley and always sounds as if the notes are being squeezed out of her-hayleys voice is beautiful.
I love her version of Wuthering Heights as Hayley can actually reach the notes unlike Kate Bush who should learn to sing within her range.Buy this album and you will not regret it.